More and more people claim WMSCOG is a cult

lovelyK
    Participant

I don't see how they can be a cult.  I've believed in God all my life, and have been a devout Catholic for over ten years.  Compared to how much I learned throughout my time being a Catholic, I've learned so much more here.  I even went to my bishop and asked him about what I learned about the Sabbath. You know what he said?  In a nutshell he admitted that the Holy church abrogated the Sabbath and that is why Sunday is now the holy day of the Lord.

So I firmly believe in the Sabbath.  I don't understand why you would say they are a cult.

lovelyK
    Participant

I don't see how they can be a cult.  I've believed in God all my life, and have been a devout Catholic for over ten years.  Compared to how much I learned throughout my time being a Catholic, I've learned so much more here.  I even went to my bishop and asked him about what I learned about the Sabbath. You know what he said?  In a nutshell he admitted that the Holy church abrogated the Sabbath and that is why Sunday is now the holy day of the Lord.

So I firmly believe in the Sabbath.  I don't understand why you would say they are a cult.

Simon
    Participant

its not about Sabbath

Simon
    Participant

its not about Sabbath

Jubilee
    Participant

lovelyK wrote:

If you really want to know what a cult is then I request you go to the home page of this site and review the video and what Steve Hassen shows us about different kinds of cults.  He has many good books about it.  

May I ask you how long have you been a member?

and Do you see your physical family as much as you did before you became a member?

Did you study before you believed in Ahn Sahng Hong?  Did you do research on this man they call god?

Sabbath is Truth, this is so, many of their teachings sound true. But, we know deep down inside this is their interpertation of the scriptures.

May God be with you on your journey of faith.

Jubilee
    Participant

lovelyK wrote:

If you really want to know what a cult is then I request you go to the home page of this site and review the video and what Steve Hassen shows us about different kinds of cults.  He has many good books about it.  

May I ask you how long have you been a member?

and Do you see your physical family as much as you did before you became a member?

Did you study before you believed in Ahn Sahng Hong?  Did you do research on this man they call god?

Sabbath is Truth, this is so, many of their teachings sound true. But, we know deep down inside this is their interpertation of the scriptures.

May God be with you on your journey of faith.

KF
    Participant

http://youtu.be/Jgb4y42HmSg

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_World_Mission_Society_Church_of_God_a_cult

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/659-world-mission-society-church-of-god

Names associated with World Mission Society Church of God

• Theological Seminary of the Church of God

• Elohim Training Institute

• Okcheon Go&Come Training Institute

• Zang Gil-Jah (aka "the Heavenly Mother," "Mother Jerusalem")

• Kim Joo-cheol (Joo Cheol Kim), Chief Pastor

KF
    Participant

http://youtu.be/Jgb4y42HmSg

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_World_Mission_Society_Church_of_God_a_cult

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/659-world-mission-society-church-of-god

Names associated with World Mission Society Church of God

• Theological Seminary of the Church of God

• Elohim Training Institute

• Okcheon Go&Come Training Institute

• Zang Gil-Jah (aka "the Heavenly Mother," "Mother Jerusalem")

• Kim Joo-cheol (Joo Cheol Kim), Chief Pastor

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

lovelyK wrote:

I have already posted this in other forums but since you seem confuse about why we call wmscog a cult, I have now to give you information what a cult is. This are the list of characteristics of a cult (If you find at least half of this in your religion, you are in danger of being in a cult):

The group is focused on a living leader to whom members seem to display excessively zealous, unquestioning commitment.

2. The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.

3. The group is preoccupied with making money.

4. Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.

5. Mind-numbing techniques (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, debilitating work routines) are used to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).

6. The leadership dictates sometimes in great detail how members should think, act, and feel (for example: members must get permission from leaders to date, change jobs, get married; leaders may prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, how to discipline children, and so forth).

7. The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s), and members (for example: the leader is considered the Messiah or an avatar; the group and/or the leader has a special mission to save humanity).

8. The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which causes conflict with the wider society.

9. The group's leader is not accountable to any authorities (as are, for example, military commanders and ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream denominations).

10. The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify means that members would have considered unethical before joining the group (for example: collecting money for bogus charities).

11. The leadership induces guilt feelings in members in order to control them.

12. Members' subservience to the group causes them to cut ties with family and friends, and to give up personal goals and activities that were of interest before joining the group.

13. Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group.

14. Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.

Allow me to ask LovelyK, as a member of wmscog (for how many years?) and from this 14 points I have given, can you say that the wmscog doesn't possess any of these characteristics?

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

lovelyK wrote:

I have already posted this in other forums but since you seem confuse about why we call wmscog a cult, I have now to give you information what a cult is. This are the list of characteristics of a cult (If you find at least half of this in your religion, you are in danger of being in a cult):

The group is focused on a living leader to whom members seem to display excessively zealous, unquestioning commitment.

5. Mind-numbing techniques (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, debilitating work routines) are used to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).

6. The leadership dictates sometimes in great detail how members should think, act, and feel (for example: members must get permission from leaders to date, change jobs, get married; leaders may prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, how to discipline children, and so forth).

7. The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s), and members (for example: the leader is considered the Messiah or an avatar; the group and/or the leader has a special mission to save humanity).

8. The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which causes conflict with the wider society.

9. The group's leader is not accountable to any authorities (as are, for example, military commanders and ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream denominations).

10. The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify means that members would have considered unethical before joining the group (for example: collecting money for bogus charities).

12. Members' subservience to the group causes them to cut ties with family and friends, and to give up personal goals and activities that were of interest before joining the group.

14. Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.

Allow me to ask LovelyK, as a member of wmscog (for how many years?) and from this 14 points I have given, can you say that the wmscog doesn't possess any of these characteristics?

Time
    Participant

Elievalkyrie said that all organizations that have HALF of these are in danger of being a cult.

In this case Jesus and his disciples were part of a cult too.

1. The group is focused on a living leader to whom members seem to display excessively zealous, unquestioning commitment.

Matthew 26:35 – 35 — But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same.

Matthew 28:19 — Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

1 Corinthians 16:1-4 — Now about the collection for God’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. Then, when I arrive, I will give letters of introduction to the men you approve and send them with your gift to Jerusalem. If it seems advisable for me to go also, they will accompany me.

James 1:6-7 — But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord;

Acts 2:4 — All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

Matthew 8:21-22 — Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

Mark 16:15-16 — He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

1 John 5:19 — We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.

9. The group’s leader is not accountable to any authorities (as are, for example, military commanders and ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream denominations).

John 8:14-16 — Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. But if I do judge, my decisions are right, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me.

If by you saying this you are trying to say that the WMSCOG has bogus charities please name them. However an example of how “ends justify the means”

Matthew 10:16 — I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

Philippians 2:12 — Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

12. Members’ subservience to the group causes them to cut ties with family and friends, and to give up personal goals and activities that were of interest before joining the group.

Matthew 10:37-39 — “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Acts 2:46 — Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,

1 Corinthians 5:11 — But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

Now many of the points mentioned here are not practiced in the WMSCOG, however my point is that this whole “cult expert” argument holds no ground when judging biblical matters. A church must stand as legitimate if they are obeying Gods commandments or not.

Later on I will write another post about these self proclaimed “cult experts”, but just a question: where can I go to school to become a cult expert?

Time
    Participant

Elievalkyrie said that all organizations that have HALF of these are in danger of being a cult.

In this case Jesus and his disciples were part of a cult too.

1. The group is focused on a living leader to whom members seem to display excessively zealous, unquestioning commitment.

Matthew 26:35 – 35 — But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same.

Matthew 28:19 — Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

1 Corinthians 16:1-4 — Now about the collection for God’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. Then, when I arrive, I will give letters of introduction to the men you approve and send them with your gift to Jerusalem. If it seems advisable for me to go also, they will accompany me.

James 1:6-7 — But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord;

Acts 2:4 — All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

Matthew 8:21-22 — Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

Mark 16:15-16 — He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

1 John 5:19 — We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.

9. The group’s leader is not accountable to any authorities (as are, for example, military commanders and ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream denominations).

John 8:14-16 — Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. But if I do judge, my decisions are right, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me.

If by you saying this you are trying to say that the WMSCOG has bogus charities please name them. However an example of how “ends justify the means”

Matthew 10:16 — I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

Philippians 2:12 — Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

12. Members’ subservience to the group causes them to cut ties with family and friends, and to give up personal goals and activities that were of interest before joining the group.

Matthew 10:37-39 — “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Acts 2:46 — Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,

1 Corinthians 5:11 — But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

Now many of the points mentioned here are not practiced in the WMSCOG, however my point is that this whole “cult expert” argument holds no ground when judging biblical matters. A church must stand as legitimate if they are obeying Gods commandments or not.

Later on I will write another post about these self proclaimed “cult experts”, but just a question: where can I go to school to become a cult expert?

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Time. Good argument there except the fact that you are trying to condemn what the real God has taught then and what mere humans taught now. I find it funny because instead of using these characteristics to judge your own religion, you judge instead the Bible??? That's kinda weird. 

Since I am not a cult expert, you might want to search the internet and ask someone who is one on how to become a cult expert and where they go to study it. If you are wondering where I got these it's from here:http://www.prem-rawat-talk.org/forum/uploads/CultCharacteristics.htm

Anyway if you become one, then please come back here and explain why my religion (Reformation) that also follows the bible teachings doesn't possess these cult characteristics here. Thanks.

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Time. Good argument there except the fact that you are trying to condemn what the real God has taught then and what mere humans taught now. I find it funny because instead of using these characteristics to judge your own religion, you judge instead the Bible??? That's kinda weird. 

Since I am not a cult expert, you might want to search the internet and ask someone who is one on how to become a cult expert and where they go to study it. If you are wondering where I got these it's from here:http://www.prem-rawat-talk.org/forum/uploads/CultCharacteristics.htm

Anyway if you become one, then please come back here and explain why my religion (Reformation) that also follows the bible teachings doesn't possess these cult characteristics here. Thanks.

Time
    Participant

Elievalkyrie:

I hope you understand that what I am trying to say is that those standards you are bringing up are not valid. Also keep in mind that I am not judging Christ nor the Bible, I’m just showing how a church should not be judged by those standards(that’s is why I won’t judge your church by those).

Keep in mind that when Jesus appeared there was no New Testament, and that what we call the “New Testament” today, they are writings of the ones who actually believed Jesus was God (That’s about 120 people out 1.1 million that lived in Israel when he appeared).

So it was by standards like those you posted that the Pharisees, Sadducees and people of that time judged Jesus and the disciples.

Acts 28:5 — “We have found this man to be a troublemaker, stirring up riots among the Jews all over the world. He is a ringleader of the Nazarene sect.

As you can see, they called A. Paul the ringleader of the Nazarene Sect.

Let me ask you: Would you believe in Jesus Christ based on the testimony of the Pharisees??

If the answer is no!

Then we should not judge whether a church is legitimate or not based on the opinion of self proclaimed “cult experts”.

Time
    Participant

Elievalkyrie:

I hope you understand that what I am trying to say is that those standards you are bringing up are not valid. Also keep in mind that I am not judging Christ nor the Bible, I’m just showing how a church should not be judged by those standards(that’s is why I won’t judge your church by those).

Keep in mind that when Jesus appeared there was no New Testament, and that what we call the “New Testament” today, they are writings of the ones who actually believed Jesus was God (That’s about 120 people out 1.1 million that lived in Israel when he appeared).

So it was by standards like those you posted that the Pharisees, Sadducees and people of that time judged Jesus and the disciples.

Acts 28:5 — “We have found this man to be a troublemaker, stirring up riots among the Jews all over the world. He is a ringleader of the Nazarene sect.

As you can see, they called A. Paul the ringleader of the Nazarene Sect.

Let me ask you: Would you believe in Jesus Christ based on the testimony of the Pharisees??

If the answer is no!

Then we should not judge whether a church is legitimate or not based on the opinion of self proclaimed “cult experts”.

Joshua
    Participant

Time, this might be one of the most intelligent posting I have seen in a long time. Clearly you have taken time to work this out and you placed it with us in a fair and respectful manner. I can appreciate that. There are plenty of folks here on both sides of this issue that are no where near this tacktful. Thank you for not coming off with an outright attack.

Joshua
    Participant

Time, this might be one of the most intelligent posting I have seen in a long time. Clearly you have taken time to work this out and you placed it with us in a fair and respectful manner. I can appreciate that. There are plenty of folks here on both sides of this issue that are no where near this tacktful. Thank you for not coming off with an outright attack.

Simon
    Participant

thank you for your input time very eloquent

Simon
    Participant

thank you for your input time very eloquent

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 238 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.