More and more people claim WMSCOG is a cult

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Time wrote:

10. The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify means that members would have considered unethical before joining the group (for example: collecting money for bogus charities).

Matthew 10:16 — I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

Seriously, you are going to give this verse to support the "Jesus can be also cult" concept? It is stated here that they were being sent out like SHEEP among WOLVES which actually implies the danger of what they are doing. This does not mean that they were using deception to lure people in!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can you explain what does "be shrewd as snakes" mean???

Shrewd means to be clever, smart, or having or showing sharp powers of judgment. Snakes are known to be shrewd. They have to be in order to catch their prey. As you can see in Matthew 10:16, this does not imply DECEITFUL tactics.

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Time wrote:

10. The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify means that members would have considered unethical before joining the group (for example: collecting money for bogus charities).

Matthew 10:16 — I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

Seriously, you are going to give this verse to support the "Jesus can be also cult" concept? It is stated here that they were being sent out like SHEEP among WOLVES which actually implies the danger of what they are doing. This does not mean that they were using deception to lure people in!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can you explain what does "be shrewd as snakes" mean???

Shrewd means to be clever, smart, or having or showing sharp powers of judgment. Snakes are known to be shrewd. They have to be in order to catch their prey. As you can see in Matthew 10:16, this does not imply DECEITFUL tactics.

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Time wrote:

11. The leadership induces guilt feelings in members in order to control them.

Mmmmmm…. so you want a better example of Jesus inducing guilt feeling for leaving Him??? Lets see…. How about:

John 15:5 — "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Jesus was actually talking about being a God there, since He created the whole human race, I think He was right to state that apart from Him, people can do nothing AND He was doing the parable stuff. He didn't do it to induce guilt to CONTROL the people.

Time wrote:

12. Members' subservience to the group causes them to cut ties with family and friends, and to give up personal goals and activities that were of interest before joining the group.

Matthew 10:37-39 — “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

I will concede with this one since Jesus did say Himself that He came not to bring peace but division. Three points. Though I also have to point out that Jesus was NOT forcing anyone to follow Him. He just told them and they just follow and I've not seen any bible verse of parents complaining that their son/daughter was ENSLAVED by His group.

NO ONE in the Church of God is forced to follow, everyone is free to come and go as they choose..

If someone was FORCED to follow, wouldnt you or anone on this forum be able to report it to the authorities? because that would be somewhat illegal…. Please do, if it is taking place.

That's the prob Time. They are being controlled "mentally", (mind control techniques) so it is not noticeable. 

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Time wrote:

11. The leadership induces guilt feelings in members in order to control them.

Mmmmmm…. so you want a better example of Jesus inducing guilt feeling for leaving Him??? Lets see…. How about:

John 15:5 — "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Jesus was actually talking about being a God there, since He created the whole human race, I think He was right to state that apart from Him, people can do nothing AND He was doing the parable stuff. He didn't do it to induce guilt to CONTROL the people.

Time wrote:

12. Members' subservience to the group causes them to cut ties with family and friends, and to give up personal goals and activities that were of interest before joining the group.

Matthew 10:37-39 — “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

I will concede with this one since Jesus did say Himself that He came not to bring peace but division. Three points. Though I also have to point out that Jesus was NOT forcing anyone to follow Him. He just told them and they just follow and I've not seen any bible verse of parents complaining that their son/daughter was ENSLAVED by His group.

NO ONE in the Church of God is forced to follow, everyone is free to come and go as they choose..

If someone was FORCED to follow, wouldnt you or anone on this forum be able to report it to the authorities? because that would be somewhat illegal…. Please do, if it is taking place.

That's the prob Time. They are being controlled "mentally", (mind control techniques) so it is not noticeable. 

MountainMom
    Participant

So, Time, if they are not "forced" then consider the following:

Why does my relative explain that he "has" to go to church on the appointed days then?  He doesn't seem happy to be going.  He says instead that he "has" to.  It appears there is a deception going on that rules these members by fear that something awful will happen to them or their loved ones if they don't go, whether they want to or not.  I know that in the beginning they go because people are nice to them (love bombing is a cult tactic) there or they are curious and want to know what it is all about, but they really seem to lose that enthusiasm after  a while and then it is the "I hope you know I have to" thing that they tell their loved ones.  It's a fear tactic ruling them afterwards, not their own will.  They are told they could "have an accident"  "become ill" , "lose their salvation" etc. if they don't go and do everything they are told to do.  That isn't free will, it's a form of slavery, and the enforcement of a psychological prison.

Even if a member is sick in the hospital, I have been told that is no excuse.  They should come to Zion.  No wonder family members have great concerns with this group!   

MountainMom
    Participant

So, Time, if they are not "forced" then consider the following:

Why does my relative explain that he "has" to go to church on the appointed days then?  He doesn't seem happy to be going.  He says instead that he "has" to.  It appears there is a deception going on that rules these members by fear that something awful will happen to them or their loved ones if they don't go, whether they want to or not.  I know that in the beginning they go because people are nice to them (love bombing is a cult tactic) there or they are curious and want to know what it is all about, but they really seem to lose that enthusiasm after  a while and then it is the "I hope you know I have to" thing that they tell their loved ones.  It's a fear tactic ruling them afterwards, not their own will.  They are told they could "have an accident"  "become ill" , "lose their salvation" etc. if they don't go and do everything they are told to do.  That isn't free will, it's a form of slavery, and the enforcement of a psychological prison.

Even if a member is sick in the hospital, I have been told that is no excuse.  They should come to Zion.  No wonder family members have great concerns with this group!   

Sarah2013
    Participant

I have been to several services while at wmscog where it was quite clear that a few people had the flu. Instead of them staying at home they force themselves to come to service. Thereby having half the congregation coughing or sneezing. It always annoyed me. It’s the flu and it spreads, so I don’t see why they will lose their salvation because they were sick. Once in a while some might stay home but I’ve often observed services in a coughing church with them. Just plain ludicrous.

Sarah2013
    Participant

I have been to several services while at wmscog where it was quite clear that a few people had the flu. Instead of them staying at home they force themselves to come to service. Thereby having half the congregation coughing or sneezing. It always annoyed me. It’s the flu and it spreads, so I don’t see why they will lose their salvation because they were sick. Once in a while some might stay home but I’ve often observed services in a coughing church with them. Just plain ludicrous.

Time
    Participant

13. Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group.

Acts 2:46 — Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts.

By “inordinate” it means excessive like 12 hours a day, 5 times a week, like you are practically living with them…Can you say this is applicable to what the disciples did? As you can read point 13 states “members are EXPECTED” meaning this is COMPULSORY. I cannot fit this situation with the biblical verse you gave me. Their meeting together in the temple court was to share a meal and as you can see they just ate together with GLAD and SINCERE hearts, it was voluntary and not compulsory.

Well the verse says the disciples were together everyday(that’s more than 5 days a week), I mean do you spend time in Church everyday???

And

How do you know that the members of the World Mission Society Church of God are not there with GLAD and sincere hearts? Have you met and talked to every single church of God member in the world???

Personally I am there with a Glad and sincere heart, even after I reviewed this whole website, and the read all the comments in this forum. Because I believe the practices to be biblical sound (I.e. the sabbath, Passover and Feasts of God)

The participation of all the members us voluntary, not compulsory…. Please stop using this criteria to judge the church, there is not scientific data to the claims cult experts like Hassan and others make. Is all based on their experience.

I’m sorry it’s taking so long to answer, but I’m trying to answer every point without skipping one.

Time
    Participant

13. Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group.

Acts 2:46 — Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts.

By “inordinate” it means excessive like 12 hours a day, 5 times a week, like you are practically living with them…Can you say this is applicable to what the disciples did? As you can read point 13 states “members are EXPECTED” meaning this is COMPULSORY. I cannot fit this situation with the biblical verse you gave me. Their meeting together in the temple court was to share a meal and as you can see they just ate together with GLAD and SINCERE hearts, it was voluntary and not compulsory.

Well the verse says the disciples were together everyday(that’s more than 5 days a week), I mean do you spend time in Church everyday???

And

How do you know that the members of the World Mission Society Church of God are not there with GLAD and sincere hearts? Have you met and talked to every single church of God member in the world???

Personally I am there with a Glad and sincere heart, even after I reviewed this whole website, and the read all the comments in this forum. Because I believe the practices to be biblical sound (I.e. the sabbath, Passover and Feasts of God)

The participation of all the members us voluntary, not compulsory…. Please stop using this criteria to judge the church, there is not scientific data to the claims cult experts like Hassan and others make. Is all based on their experience.

I’m sorry it’s taking so long to answer, but I’m trying to answer every point without skipping one.

Time
    Participant

14. Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.

1 Corinthians 5:11 — But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

I think you just twisted another scipture again. The verse’s point is that you do not associate with sinful people, those who have VICES. The point in verse 14 is that most cults will ISOLATE you from other people (may they be good or bad) that do not practice the same beliefs as you.

Well then in that case this doesn’t apply to the World Mission Society Church of God either, I have friends who do not belong to the church, and I have spent time with them. I also have family members who are not in church, and I have spent time with them.

So I guess this one doesn’t apply to the Church of God either.

Time
    Participant

14. Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.

1 Corinthians 5:11 — But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

I think you just twisted another scipture again. The verse’s point is that you do not associate with sinful people, those who have VICES. The point in verse 14 is that most cults will ISOLATE you from other people (may they be good or bad) that do not practice the same beliefs as you.

Well then in that case this doesn’t apply to the World Mission Society Church of God either, I have friends who do not belong to the church, and I have spent time with them. I also have family members who are not in church, and I have spent time with them.

So I guess this one doesn’t apply to the Church of God either.

MountainMom
    Participant

Time, I want you to know I haven't talked to every single member of the wmscog, but why is that even a point when you haven't either?  I have talked with many, though, and every one thought, no knew, that attendance was compulsory, not a choice.   You didn't answer why the person I talked of in my post says he "has" to go.  He doesn't really want to, he "has" to.  Why would he think he had to if he really didn't?  He is obviously conflicted about this, and can't talk to church members about it, or he would be rebuked.  So, why does he think he has to go?  Why even if he is sick, tired, hasn't got days to take off work, etc.? 

I would like to hear what you have to say on that.  If he doesn't "have" to can you tell me why it seems that the church hierarchy is telling him different?  Do you personally think he should go if he is sick?  I really am asking sincerely.  Thank you.

MountainMom
    Participant

Time, I want you to know I haven't talked to every single member of the wmscog, but why is that even a point when you haven't either?  I have talked with many, though, and every one thought, no knew, that attendance was compulsory, not a choice.   You didn't answer why the person I talked of in my post says he "has" to go.  He doesn't really want to, he "has" to.  Why would he think he had to if he really didn't?  He is obviously conflicted about this, and can't talk to church members about it, or he would be rebuked.  So, why does he think he has to go?  Why even if he is sick, tired, hasn't got days to take off work, etc.? 

I would like to hear what you have to say on that.  If he doesn't "have" to can you tell me why it seems that the church hierarchy is telling him different?  Do you personally think he should go if he is sick?  I really am asking sincerely.  Thank you.

Spectrum
    Participant

Time wrote:

I think you just twisted another scipture again. The verse's point is that you do not associate with sinful people, those who have VICES. The point in verse 14 is that most cults will ISOLATE you from other people (may they be good or bad) that do not practice the same beliefs as you.

Well then in that case this doesn't apply to the World Mission Society Church of God either, I have friends who do not belong to the church, and I have spent time with them. I also have family members who are not in church, and I have spent time with them.

So I guess this one doesn't apply to the Church of God either.

My son states he spends time with us as well.  That includes him showing up 15-30 minutes after he tells us he is coming and then telling us he has to leave within an hour of getting there.  He is always late and always has somewhere he has to be shortly after he arrives.  Do not kid yourself, Time, your family has been deeply affected by this and as a mother, it is very painful. 

I cry on a regular basis for the son that I have lost, the brother that my other son has lost, the pain that he has caused his aunts, grandparents, friends, girlfriends, etc.  He has refused to eat my mother's food because they said grace before eating, this broke my mother…she played a huge role in his upbringing and he has always loved grandma's food.  He refused to attend his aunt's wedding, who admittedly so, was his favorite aunt and would do anything for him.  I love my son more than you can ever imagine and so does his family.  We are not cross worshipers, following the anti-Christ, Satan, bad people…but that is how we are "judged" in the WMSCOG eyes.  I am sad for you, Time, that you do not see this, but even sadder for the family and friends you are denying a loving relationship with.  Please do not disrespect me by saying your relationship with family/friends has not been affected.  Your family, if given the chance, would most likely have similar statements if you just took the time to really listen to them. 

Spectrum
    Participant

Time wrote:

I think you just twisted another scipture again. The verse's point is that you do not associate with sinful people, those who have VICES. The point in verse 14 is that most cults will ISOLATE you from other people (may they be good or bad) that do not practice the same beliefs as you.

Well then in that case this doesn't apply to the World Mission Society Church of God either, I have friends who do not belong to the church, and I have spent time with them. I also have family members who are not in church, and I have spent time with them.

So I guess this one doesn't apply to the Church of God either.

My son states he spends time with us as well.  That includes him showing up 15-30 minutes after he tells us he is coming and then telling us he has to leave within an hour of getting there.  He is always late and always has somewhere he has to be shortly after he arrives.  Do not kid yourself, Time, your family has been deeply affected by this and as a mother, it is very painful. 

I cry on a regular basis for the son that I have lost, the brother that my other son has lost, the pain that he has caused his aunts, grandparents, friends, girlfriends, etc.  He has refused to eat my mother's food because they said grace before eating, this broke my mother…she played a huge role in his upbringing and he has always loved grandma's food.  He refused to attend his aunt's wedding, who admittedly so, was his favorite aunt and would do anything for him.  I love my son more than you can ever imagine and so does his family.  We are not cross worshipers, following the anti-Christ, Satan, bad people…but that is how we are "judged" in the WMSCOG eyes.  I am sad for you, Time, that you do not see this, but even sadder for the family and friends you are denying a loving relationship with.  Please do not disrespect me by saying your relationship with family/friends has not been affected.  Your family, if given the chance, would most likely have similar statements if you just took the time to really listen to them. 

MountainMom
    Participant

Time this is for you:

When you speak from heart as Spectrum has just done, it rings true.   And from my experience everything she says is accurate and should be taken to heart.  The members do not exist in a vacuum.  Their involvement with the church hurts those who love them, and those who have nothing to gain at all from telling them the truth.  Like Spectrum, the mothers want only the best for their sons/daughters/ loved ones who are caught up in this group.  Yet their counsel is counterracted like a pre-emptive strike by a recruiter.  They are set up in advance not to believe the very people who want the best for them.  I feel her pain.  Time, do you feel her pain?  I'm sure you may have family who are hurt by your involvement.  I don't say this to make you feel guilty.  I say this in the hope you will take a good look at this truth.  This group is harmful to family on all fronts.   

MountainMom
    Participant

Time this is for you:

When you speak from heart as Spectrum has just done, it rings true.   And from my experience everything she says is accurate and should be taken to heart.  The members do not exist in a vacuum.  Their involvement with the church hurts those who love them, and those who have nothing to gain at all from telling them the truth.  Like Spectrum, the mothers want only the best for their sons/daughters/ loved ones who are caught up in this group.  Yet their counsel is counterracted like a pre-emptive strike by a recruiter.  They are set up in advance not to believe the very people who want the best for them.  I feel her pain.  Time, do you feel her pain?  I'm sure you may have family who are hurt by your involvement.  I don't say this to make you feel guilty.  I say this in the hope you will take a good look at this truth.  This group is harmful to family on all fronts.   

Time
    Participant

I think the wmscog is a cult based on my studies. However, I wouldn’t feel one bit better about this group even if 20 cult experts told me it wasn’t a cult, and I’m sure none of you would either. It’s about the harm they do to our loved ones and the destruction of relationships, not the label. This is why I stopped calling it a cult to my relative, which was helpful to our communication.

I’m sorry but my relationship with my family was not damaged because of the church, and I know of several church members whose relationships with their spouses, children, and relatives became much better after their involvement in the church of God.

I would agree with you that the Church is the cause of the separation if it was the same exact case every single time, but that’s not The case.

If we are going to judge a church based on MY STUDIES, …. Well … I was catholic for many years of my life, and i began to dislike the church when all the scandals with the children started to come to light, It’s no secret what some catholic priests are doing with children, things I don’t even feel comfortable repeating. So based on my studies…the Catholic Church has caused plenty of damage to families through out the world by letting pedophiles go free without facing justice…

Watch the film …. Deliver us from Evil.

Time
    Participant

I think the wmscog is a cult based on my studies. However, I wouldn’t feel one bit better about this group even if 20 cult experts told me it wasn’t a cult, and I’m sure none of you would either. It’s about the harm they do to our loved ones and the destruction of relationships, not the label. This is why I stopped calling it a cult to my relative, which was helpful to our communication.

I’m sorry but my relationship with my family was not damaged because of the church, and I know of several church members whose relationships with their spouses, children, and relatives became much better after their involvement in the church of God.

I would agree with you that the Church is the cause of the separation if it was the same exact case every single time, but that’s not The case.

If we are going to judge a church based on MY STUDIES, …. Well … I was catholic for many years of my life, and i began to dislike the church when all the scandals with the children started to come to light, It’s no secret what some catholic priests are doing with children, things I don’t even feel comfortable repeating. So based on my studies…the Catholic Church has caused plenty of damage to families through out the world by letting pedophiles go free without facing justice…

Watch the film …. Deliver us from Evil.

Viewing 20 replies - 101 through 120 (of 238 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.