More and more people claim WMSCOG is a cult

Time
    Participant

11. The leadership induces guilt feelings in members in order to control them.

Philippians 2:12 — Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

Uhmm…the actual example for # 11 is something like: "You should be ashamed of yourself for doing this or that!" I think you missed the point with the verse you gave. Don't give me a vague verse for this, give me a situation where Jesus or His disciples actually INDUCED guilt feelings to control members in doing what they want or to prevent them from leaving. Can you?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mmmmmm…. so you want a better example of Jesus inducing guilt feeling for leaving Him??? Lets see…. How about:

John 15:5 — "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Talk about dependency, and fear of not being able to do anything if we leave Jesus.

Again I am not doing this to discredit the Bible or Jesus Christ, but to prove the point that the so called: "Cult Experts" criterias to label a group as a cult, cannot be applied to Christianity..

Colossians 2:8 —  Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ. NLT version

Time
    Participant

Philippians 2:12 — Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

Uhmm…the actual example for # 11 is something like: "You should be ashamed of yourself for doing this or that!" I think you missed the point with the verse you gave. Don't give me a vague verse for this, give me a situation where Jesus or His disciples actually INDUCED guilt feelings to control members in doing what they want or to prevent them from leaving. Can you?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mmmmmm…. so you want a better example of Jesus inducing guilt feeling for leaving Him??? Lets see…. How about:

John 15:5 — "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Talk about dependency, and fear of not being able to do anything if we leave Jesus.

Again I am not doing this to discredit the Bible or Jesus Christ, but to prove the point that the so called: "Cult Experts" criterias to label a group as a cult, cannot be applied to Christianity..

Colossians 2:8 —  Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ. NLT version

Time
    Participant

12. Members' subservience to the group causes them to cut ties with family and friends, and to give up personal goals and activities that were of interest before joining the group.

Matthew 10:37-39 — “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

I will concede with this one since Jesus did say Himself that He came not to bring peace but division. Three points. Though I also have to point out that Jesus was NOT forcing anyone to follow Him. He just told them and they just follow and I've not seen any bible verse of parents complaining that their son/daughter was ENSLAVED by His group.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

NO ONE in the Church of God is forced to follow, everyone is free to come and go as they choose..

If someone was FORCED to follow, wouldnt you or anone on this forum be able to report it to the authorities? because that would be somewhat illegal…. Please do, if it is taking place.

Time
    Participant

12. Members' subservience to the group causes them to cut ties with family and friends, and to give up personal goals and activities that were of interest before joining the group.

Matthew 10:37-39 — “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

I will concede with this one since Jesus did say Himself that He came not to bring peace but division. Three points. Though I also have to point out that Jesus was NOT forcing anyone to follow Him. He just told them and they just follow and I've not seen any bible verse of parents complaining that their son/daughter was ENSLAVED by His group.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

NO ONE in the Church of God is forced to follow, everyone is free to come and go as they choose..

If someone was FORCED to follow, wouldnt you or anone on this forum be able to report it to the authorities? because that would be somewhat illegal…. Please do, if it is taking place.

Emily
    Participant

Time wrote:

Same happened in Korea, the reason the lawsuit was filed was because the Church was being accused for preaching about the end of the world, which in South Korea is somewhat like a Crime. Yet in the end the Church won the case, and the Supreme Court of Korea ruled in favor of the Church of God. A religious Newspaper in Korea reported as follows:

The title of the article was like this:

The Supreme Court ruled that "The insitence that the Church of God spreads a time-limited eschatology and causes families to break up is false."

and at the end the newspaper reported as follows:

Therefore, we can conclude that the judgment in favor of the Church of God serves as a good warning to others to not make false allegations and created malicious rumors against other denominations without objective and unsubstantiated facts.

What religious newspaper are you quoting from?  Do you have a link to the article or a picture of it?  Any proof that the article even exists?

Emily
    Participant

Time wrote:

Same happened in Korea, the reason the lawsuit was filed was because the Church was being accused for preaching about the end of the world, which in South Korea is somewhat like a Crime. Yet in the end the Church won the case, and the Supreme Court of Korea ruled in favor of the Church of God. A religious Newspaper in Korea reported as follows:

The title of the article was like this:

The Supreme Court ruled that "The insitence that the Church of God spreads a time-limited eschatology and causes families to break up is false."

and at the end the newspaper reported as follows:

Therefore, we can conclude that the judgment in favor of the Church of God serves as a good warning to others to not make false allegations and created malicious rumors against other denominations without objective and unsubstantiated facts.

What religious newspaper are you quoting from?  Do you have a link to the article or a picture of it?  Any proof that the article even exists?

Emily
    Participant

Time wrote:

The wms goes to great lengths to induce guilt.  Here's my experience.  I remember always hearing statements like these:

• "mother" is suffering for her children
    • "mother" is crying for her children to come back to her
    • "mother" suffers so much pain
    • "mother" barely sleeps 
    • "father" barely slept or ate.  all he did was write the books of "truth" and break rocks and preach
    • "father" and "mother" gave their lives and suffered for us to have a chance to enter the kingdom of heaven
    • we tried to kill "god" so we don't deserve the chance we've been given

Of course there were always a few people in the services balling their eyes out as they heard this.  I mean seriously.  The people that the wms calls "father" and "mother" were/are just people and sinners like everyone else.

Emily
    Participant

Time wrote:

The wms goes to great lengths to induce guilt.  Here's my experience.  I remember always hearing statements like these:

• "mother" is suffering for her children
    • "mother" is crying for her children to come back to her
    • "mother" suffers so much pain
    • "mother" barely sleeps 
    • "father" barely slept or ate.  all he did was write the books of "truth" and break rocks and preach
    • "father" and "mother" gave their lives and suffered for us to have a chance to enter the kingdom of heaven
    • we tried to kill "god" so we don't deserve the chance we've been given

Of course there were always a few people in the services balling their eyes out as they heard this.  I mean seriously.  The people that the wms calls "father" and "mother" were/are just people and sinners like everyone else.

Emily
    Participant

Time wrote:

That is why we need a court of law to decide whether the Church of God is "Money Laundering" as is being insinuated by people online.

Oh is that what you "need"?  The wms had a chance to prove their case in VA when they were ordered by the judge to produce discovery documents.  They chose instead to drop their case.  

http://www.berliklaw.com/lawyer-attorney-1430397.html

Emily
    Participant

Time wrote:

That is why we need a court of law to decide whether the Church of God is "Money Laundering" as is being insinuated by people online.

Oh is that what you "need"?  The wms had a chance to prove their case in VA when they were ordered by the judge to produce discovery documents.  They chose instead to drop their case.  

http://www.berliklaw.com/lawyer-attorney-1430397.html

MountainMom
    Participant

Yes, these are facts, not interpretations here that can be manipulated.  The wmscog dropped their suit when they knew their finances could be published for all to see.  One of the main things about this church that seems so shady is their lack of transparency in financial matters and their tendency to come out swinging when someone questions it.  They can talk all around in circles forever about something that involves their interpretations and spins on Bible verses, but when it comes down to facts, they seem to have a lot tougher time facing them.  They just want to hit the mute button on people in that situation. 

MountainMom
    Participant

Yes, these are facts, not interpretations here that can be manipulated.  The wmscog dropped their suit when they knew their finances could be published for all to see.  One of the main things about this church that seems so shady is their lack of transparency in financial matters and their tendency to come out swinging when someone questions it.  They can talk all around in circles forever about something that involves their interpretations and spins on Bible verses, but when it comes down to facts, they seem to have a lot tougher time facing them.  They just want to hit the mute button on people in that situation. 

Sarah2013
    Participant

@ Emily: I heard all that too about the mother suffering and waking up very early in the morning praying for her children. How delusional do some people take others for?

@ Mountainmom: Nothing with those people is really ever transparent.

Sarah2013
    Participant

@ Emily: I heard all that too about the mother suffering and waking up very early in the morning praying for her children. How delusional do some people take others for?

@ Mountainmom: Nothing with those people is really ever transparent.

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Time, I will just say this to make it short. I'm kinda busy right now to be going along with this. You have to keep in mind, the CULTS have these 14 characteristics with the main intention of deceiving people to acquire monetary or any other gains. You insisting that it can also be applied in Jesus just cannot be done as there is not enough evidence that they were establishing a religion that is based on trickery and using mind-control techniques to manipulate people into following and staying with them even though people don't want to. Also, there are hundreds of Christian denominations and you can clearly see that there are Christian religions that does not fit the cult characteristics while WMSCOG does. I know your point is that we cannot use these characteristics to know if a religion is a cult or not but well, the shoe fits WMSCOG perfectly, we can't do anything about that. Many will still consider your religion a cult as they would rather trust cult experts that have studied those things.

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Time, I will just say this to make it short. I'm kinda busy right now to be going along with this. You have to keep in mind, the CULTS have these 14 characteristics with the main intention of deceiving people to acquire monetary or any other gains. You insisting that it can also be applied in Jesus just cannot be done as there is not enough evidence that they were establishing a religion that is based on trickery and using mind-control techniques to manipulate people into following and staying with them even though people don't want to. Also, there are hundreds of Christian denominations and you can clearly see that there are Christian religions that does not fit the cult characteristics while WMSCOG does. I know your point is that we cannot use these characteristics to know if a religion is a cult or not but well, the shoe fits WMSCOG perfectly, we can't do anything about that. Many will still consider your religion a cult as they would rather trust cult experts that have studied those things.

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Time wrote:

4. Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.

How about Romans 14:23

Romans 14:23 — But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

Still not about teaching. That was about doubting what food is forbidden or not.

I have realized that I said to you earlier that "I will be waiting for more" so I decided to make an effort for it even with time constraints so you won't feel that all your efforts are wasted, you did make such long posts afterall. ^_^

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Time wrote:

4. Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.

How about Romans 14:23

Romans 14:23 — But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

Still not about teaching. That was about doubting what food is forbidden or not.

I have realized that I said to you earlier that "I will be waiting for more" so I decided to make an effort for it even with time constraints so you won't feel that all your efforts are wasted, you did make such long posts afterall. ^_^

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Time wrote:

5. Mind-numbing techniques (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, debilitating work routines) are used to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Im sorry can you explain what are denunciation sessions and debilitating work? and is this practiced in the WMSCOG??

Denunciation sessions is like putting you down in front of other people or at least making you feel ashamed of yourself for whatever reason. Debilitating work is something like giving you a lot of stressful work with the main purpose of making you tired and not have time to think of  or do other things like "doubting". Both of these are reported to be practiced in the WMSCOG.

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Time wrote:

5. Mind-numbing techniques (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, debilitating work routines) are used to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Im sorry can you explain what are denunciation sessions and debilitating work? and is this practiced in the WMSCOG??

Denunciation sessions is like putting you down in front of other people or at least making you feel ashamed of yourself for whatever reason. Debilitating work is something like giving you a lot of stressful work with the main purpose of making you tired and not have time to think of  or do other things like "doubting". Both of these are reported to be practiced in the WMSCOG.

Viewing 20 replies - 81 through 100 (of 238 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.