Is Sunday Christian or Catholic?

• Creator
    Topic
    fromtheotherside
    Participant

“From this same Catholic Church you have accepted your Sunday, and that Sunday, as the Lord’s day, she has handed down as a tradition; and the entire Protestant world has accepted it as tradition, for you have not an iota of Scripture to establish it. Therefore that which you have accepted as your rule of faith, in­adequate as it of course is, as well as your Sunday, you have accepted on the authority of the Roman Catholic Church” (D.B. Ray;">The Papal Controversy, p. 179, 1892).

Simon
    Participant

regarding Sabbath I think God wants us to but I’m not convinced on where the line is drawn regarding too much sin God won’t give Grace anymore

Sarah2013
    Participant

If you believe it is Saturday then you observe on Saturday. Just that simple.

fromtheotherside
    Participant

Sarah that's adding

Sarah2013
    Participant

No it isn’t adding. Adding is all the examples I have given you.

Sarah2013
    Participant

Perhaps wait for someone else to have a go at this with you. I have made my point and so have you.

Joshua
    Participant

I agree with Simon that this topic isn't a particularly wonderful argument for discerning truth. Christians in the early church were set appart and in the minority by meeting on Sunday instead of Saturday. Most other religious groups of the time met on Saturdays making the Christians seem rather strange thus making them a target for other groups. It would have been much easier to go with the world and meet on Saturdays but that was not the example that Jesus set after the resurrection. How many lives could have been spared if only the early church chose to follow along with everyone else.

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

I will just post here a little bit of what I've read about this particular topic. This is taken from: http://www.gotquestions.org/Saturday-Sunday.html

The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. The Sabbath is still Saturday, not Sunday, and has never been changed. But the Sabbath is part of the Old Testament Law, and Christians are free from the bondage of the Law (Galatians 4:1-26; Romans 6:14). Sabbath keeping is not required of the Christian—be it Saturday or Sunday. The first day of the week, Sunday, the Lord's Day (Revelation 1:10) celebrates the New Creation, with Christ as our resurrected Head. We are not obligated to follow the Mosaic Sabbath—resting, but are now free to follow the risen Christ—serving. The Apostle Paul said that each individual Christian should decide whether to observe a Sabbath rest, “One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind” (Romans 14:5). We are to worship God every day, not just on Saturday or Sunday.

Sarah2013
    Participant

Thank you Elie.

Simon
    Participant

this is always what stats the question on Israel and covenants

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

It does have a point though. If God made a covenant with U.S, why would people from, let's say, Asia take part in it? That covenant would have been between God and U.S citizens only. 

Simon
    Participant

except not only one country was under that covenant anyone who wanted to be God’s people kept it physical Israelite or not

Simon
    Participant

except not only one country was under that covenant anyone who wanted to be God’s people kept it physical Israelite or not

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Yes they don't have to be an Israelite but there are conditions that needs to be met before a person whose not an Israelite be allowed to partake in it. I believe that is in Exodus 12:46-50.

The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “These are the regulations for the Passover meal:“No foreigner may eat it. Any slave you have bought may eat it after you have circumcised him, but a temporary resident or a hired worker may not eat it. “It must be eaten inside the house; take none of the meat outside the house. Do not break any of the bones. The whole community of Israel must celebrate it.“A foreigner residing among you who wants to celebrate the Lord’s Passover must have all the males in his household circumcised; then he may take part like one born in the land.No uncircumcised male may eat it. The same law applies both to the native-born and to the foreigner residing among you.” All the Israelites did just what the Lord had commanded Moses and Aaron. 

Being circumcised means to be a part of God's people, let's just say the analogy for that one is changing the Asian into U.S citizenship. ^_^

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Yes they don't have to be an Israelite but there are conditions that needs to be met before a person whose not an Israelite be allowed to partake in it. I believe that is in Exodus 12:46-50.

The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “These are the regulations for the Passover meal:“No foreigner may eat it. Any slave you have bought may eat it after you have circumcised him, but a temporary resident or a hired worker may not eat it. “It must be eaten inside the house; take none of the meat outside the house. Do not break any of the bones. The whole community of Israel must celebrate it.“A foreigner residing among you who wants to celebrate the Lord’s Passover must have all the males in his household circumcised; then he may take part like one born in the land.No uncircumcised male may eat it. The same law applies both to the native-born and to the foreigner residing among you.” All the Israelites did just what the Lord had commanded Moses and Aaron. 

Being circumcised means to be a part of God's people, let's just say the analogy for that one is changing the Asian into U.S citizenship. ^_^

Simon
    Participant

that’s Passover not Sabbath

Simon
    Participant

that’s Passover not Sabbath

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

I thought we were talking about covenants. Passover is a covenant. Also, the Sabbath was only told to Israelites, that was why pagans didn't have any qualms sacrificing children and stuff because they don't have the 10 Commandments. People outside the covenant were not even required to follow it.

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

I thought we were talking about covenants. Passover is a covenant. Also, the Sabbath was only told to Israelites, that was why pagans didn't have any qualms sacrificing children and stuff because they don't have the 10 Commandments. People outside the covenant were not even required to follow it.

Simon
    Participant

I meant old covenant New covenant Israel physical and spiritual vs old covenant New covenant Israel and. church

Simon
    Participant

I meant old covenant New covenant Israel physical and spiritual vs old covenant New covenant Israel and. church

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 355 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.