Is Sunday Christian or Catholic?

• Creator
    Topic
    fromtheotherside
    Participant

“From this same Catholic Church you have accepted your Sunday, and that Sunday, as the Lord’s day, she has handed down as a tradition; and the entire Protestant world has accepted it as tradition, for you have not an iota of Scripture to establish it. Therefore that which you have accepted as your rule of faith, in­adequate as it of course is, as well as your Sunday, you have accepted on the authority of the Roman Catholic Church” (D.B. Ray;">The Papal Controversy, p. 179, 1892).

fromtheotherside
    Participant

Yes if Sabbath was abolished God who is all knowing would have known that with the establishment of sunday service and also with civilization being the way it is now, it wouldn't matter about the sabbath laws. Also even at that time the sabbath laws weren't upholded except by the jews and also because israel was controlled by Rome as long as you just got out of the sight of the jews, you escaped and just got out of israel, no one would care what you did on the sabbath. 

Love'n Honey
    Participant

calling sunday the sabbath is an oxymoron by definition.

Joshua
    Participant

fromtheotherside wrote:

Joshua I agreed that sunday was there at the time that you spoke of, but it wasn't throughout the whole church, Jesus kept sabbath and his apostles.  The sunday was around at the time that you speak of, that is correct, that is why the apostles spoke of the lawlessone and that his work has "already" began, that meaning sunday service.  The important thing is the apostles kept saturday.  which has more evidence in the bible then does sunday service.  Saturday atleast has some backing to it, though it maybe small, but sunday, not even a wink in the bible.  Also most theologians whether it be protestant catholic or cult says that the apostles kept saturday.  

I'm sorry, but once again you are guilty of NOT doing your homework. Jesus and the Apostles kept the Saturday Sabbath proir to the resurrection. This is a true statement that I will never argue with you. Jesus and the Apostles were under the Law at this time and because of this they were required to keep this Saturday Sabbath. More importantly Jesus gave His word that He was going to keep the Law. This was necessary in order for Jesus to have lead a perfect life and be the perfect sacrifice for us. The Bible records this for us. After the resurrection there is no recorded event of Jesus ever keeping the Saturday Sabbath. There are several recorded events of Jesus meeting with believers and breaking bread with them on Sundays. (Never Saturdays) Jesus set the example for believers to follow and with this example the Christians were set appart as His people. The followers of Christ or Christians. (A New Name) The Bible records these events for us. If you want Saturday to be the day then you are saying that Jesus deceived us with His example. You are NEVER going to convince me that Jesus was a deceiver or a liar. With this being said, I'm going to continue to follow the example of Jesus Christ and reject the idea that anyone who worships on Sunday are Sun worshippers as the WMSCOG claims. I guess this means that Jesus tells the truth and the WMSCOG lies. I'm not going to follow liars!

Jay
    Participant

I'm sorry, but once again you are guilty of NOT doing your homework. Jesus and the Apostles kept the Saturday Sabbath proir to the resurrection. This is a true statement that I will never argue with you. Jesus and the Apostles were under the Law at this time and because of this they were required to keep this Saturday Sabbath. More importantly Jesus gave His word that He was going to keep the Law. This was necessary in order for Jesus to have lead a perfect life and be the perfect sacrifice for us. The Bible records this for us. After the resurrection there is no recorded event of Jesus ever keeping the Saturday Sabbath. There are several recorded events of Jesus meeting with believers and breaking bread with them on Sundays. (Never Saturdays) Jesus set the example for believers to follow and with this example the Christians were set appart as His people. The followers of Christ or Christians. (A New Name) The Bible records these events for us. If you want Saturday to be the day then you are saying that Jesus deceived us with His example. You are NEVER going to convince me that Jesus was a deceiver or a liar. With this being said, I'm going to continue to follow the example of Jesus Christ and reject the idea that anyone who worships on Sunday are Sun worshippers as the WMSCOG claims. I guess this means that Jesus tells the truth and the WMSCOG lies. I'm not going to follow liars!

Dear friend,

Do you have bible verses to support your view?  And what do you base your conclusions on?  FYI  1 Peter 2:21  (KJV)

For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps

That verse does not say he is only our example after the resurrection.

–Jay

Joshua
    Participant

I like to let people do their own research however, I will start you off with the resurrection. Matthew28:1 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other mary went to look at the tomb. (The story goes on)  Vs.9 Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings he said. They came to him, clasped his feel and worshipped him. Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid. Go tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me."

This was the first meeting of the believers of Jesus Christ. Please do your own research now and follow up making sure that what I have told you is the truth. You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free. 

fromtheotherside
    Participant

Okay I think everyone knows that as resurection day buddy, can you atleast do a little bit more homework, so where's your other proof bring em coming.  Doesn't matter if you believe in "a" Jesus we have "the" Jesus, and his actions tell us he and the apostles kept sunday.

fromtheotherside
    Participant

Jay wrote:

Dear friend,

Do you have bible verses to support your view?  And what do you base your conclusions on?  FYI  1 Peter 2:21  (KJV)

For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps

That verse does not say he is only our example after the resurrection.

–Jay

Can you answer Jays statement Joshua. 

fromtheotherside
    Participant

Joshua wrote:

fromtheotherside wrote:

Joshua I agreed that sunday was there at the time that you spoke of, but it wasn't throughout the whole church, Jesus kept sabbath and his apostles.  The sunday was around at the time that you speak of, that is correct, that is why the apostles spoke of the lawlessone and that his work has "already" began, that meaning sunday service.  The important thing is the apostles kept saturday.  which has more evidence in the bible then does sunday service.  Saturday atleast has some backing to it, though it maybe small, but sunday, not even a wink in the bible.  Also most theologians whether it be protestant catholic or cult says that the apostles kept saturday.  

Joshua you already made Jesus a liar and nailed him right back on the cross, by rejecting his teachings. 

And FYI no one is asking you to believe in the sabbath, keep sunday as you please. 

Simon
    Participant

over the forty days Jesus appeared several times with no basis to believe it was only on Sundays we cannot make that an example in that way.

Jay
    Participant

Simon wrote:

over the forty days Jesus appeared several times with no basis to believe it was only on Sundays we cannot make that an example in that way.

Hi Simon,

I do not think your rejecting the Sabbath for lack of information.  This is a matter of the heart.  Maybe you are in a Sunday church you love w/ many friends or perhaps you have or had devout Sunday parents.  I know of some people who refused Sabbath because that would mean admitting that their deceased parents are lost, which is simply not true.   My bible says walk in the light you a "given" lest the darkness overcome you.   But if you know better, scripture also says, "Him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin"  Only God knows where your heart is so I will leave it to him to determine if your too far gone to reach or not.  The good news is we have a High Priest who forever liveth to make intercession for us.  But He wont be a Priest forever, one day he is coming back to the earth as the King of Kings, Lord of Lords to redeem His people who keep the commandments of God and have the faith of Jesus.  Rev 14:12  God Bless.

–Jay

king34
    Participant

I must agree with ftos sabbath has and was always kept by jesus and the apostles. There is actually no recorded evidence of sunday worship. The bible also speaks about all the blessings of the seventh day from the beg to the end. So why change it after jesus death. it makes no sence. This is one teaching that I do believe from the cog.

emil
    Participant

Simon wrote:

saying the apostles were around at the time something happened within the Church doesn't make it valid as they said evil had already started to take root within the church.

as far as Hebrews 4:7-8 I don't see how that could possibly be construed as antisabbath in context or without

I did not say antisabbath. I said "against Saturday Sabbath". These verses speak about an alternate day.

Simon
    Participant

I don’t reject Sabbath at all Jay

Simon
    Participant

it says today today isn’t Sunday

Joshua
    Participant

fromtheotherside wrote:

Joshua wrote:

fromtheotherside wrote:

Joshua you already made Jesus a liar and nailed him right back on the cross, by rejecting his teachings. 

And FYI no one is asking you to believe in the sabbath, keep sunday as you please. 

I'm going to have to pray for you a lot more! I'm also going to have to ask God to help me with my feelings because you have offically pissed me off with this comment! I warned you before to knock this stuff off! My comments to you are not fillied with this kind of hate yet this is not the first time you have posted crap like this against me. What happened to you? Did your false god drop you on your head when you were a baby in this cult?

Jay
    Participant

emil wrote:

Simon wrote:

saying the apostles were around at the time something happened within the Church doesn't make it valid as they said evil had already started to take root within the church.

as far as Hebrews 4:7-8 I don't see how that could possibly be construed as antisabbath in context or without

I did not say antisabbath. I said "against Saturday Sabbath". These verses speak about an alternate day.

Emil,

The point of Hebrews 4 is not to establish the doctrine of the Sabbath, but is actually about living out our faith in careful obedience to Gods word.  It does this by using the example of the Israelites in the Wilderness (Heb 3) who did not do as God commanded but sought to accomplish things in their own way, by their own works instead of doing the works God demanded of them.  Thefore, they did not enter into the rest (referring to the promise land or Caanan nor did they enter the heavenly Canaan)  Paul concludes Heb 4 by saying that we are to labour to enter into that rest, in which we cease from our OWN works (Heb 4:10) and follow the word of God (heb 4:12)    But if we shall sin, we have a high priest that is passed into the heavens (vs 14) in which we can obtain mercy, grace and help in the time of need (vs 16).

If you read vs 8 carefully, the other day is referring to the promise rest that we will get when we enter the kingdom of heaven.  This is akin to the Israelites not entering the earthly Caanaan, which is not the true rest that God promises his people. See Heb 3:18-19.  

So then, what is the point of the weekly Sabbath if it is not to enter into His rest?  Rev 14: 6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Incidentally, the way to avoid the mark of the beast and enter into the promise rest is found in Rev 14:12. Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.  This the real point of Heb 3 and 4.  So in a sense, it actually does promote the 7th day Sabbath.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

there's a verse that says do not add and do not take from scripture. with that brought to mind, we can all agree that there in absolutely no verse in the bible that describes sunday as sabbath. because jesus broke bread on any day of the week before or after his resurrection, that doesn't make that day the sabbath. using the verse describing jesus' example, we may agree that we should break bread with other people like jesus did on any given day. someone said jesus didn't rise on saturday to keep true to the sabbath.

that doesn't make sense because in his example, jesus didn't rest on the sabbath. maybe this question should be left for another forum, but how is sunday three earth rotations from friday?

a. paul said to follow hs example like he follows jesus'. in the books about paul, it is said that he went into synagagues to preach on the sabbath. this, obviously, is after the resurrection. i'm NOT using this to say paul kept the sabbath. but the bible mentions the sabbath after jesus resurrected. however, there is NOTHING that says the sabbath, the first day of the week. the only definitionof the sabbath given to man from god is the seventh day of the week. jesus changed or altered plenty of things when he came. but from what is written, he never changed a date or definition. he only changed how we do things, not when.

Joshua
    Participant

maybe this question should be left for another forum, but how is sunday three earth rotations from friday? 

Hi Renita, this is a simple and logical translation grey area. In the time that the crux. happened the Jewish people believed that any part of a day represented a day. With this in mind Jesus died and was laid to rest on Friday. (First day) Doing his transformative work on Saturday. (Second day) Rose early on the third day. (Would be counted as a whole day, Sunday.) This is where the whole three day idea comes from. If we were to use our present day idea about three days then we would take the time of death, add 72 hour to it, and come up with the idea that Jesus didn't fulfill the prophesy.

jesus broke bread on any day of the week before or after his resurrection, that doesn't make that day the sabbath. 

I can understand how people would want to make this argument. From a rational, present day, way of thinking this would make sense. Once again we need to research what this would have meant to the Jewish people at the time. Time for you to do some homework and share with us what you found out. I hope the truth reveals itself to you in Jesus name.

Jay
    Participant

Joshua wrote:

maybe this question should be left for another forum, but how is sunday three earth rotations from friday? 

Hi Renita, this is a simple and logical translation grey area. In the time that the crux. happened the Jewish people believed that any part of a day represented a day. With this in mind Jesus died and was laid to rest on Friday. (First day) Doing his transformative work on Saturday. (Second day) Rose early on the third day. (Would be counted as a whole day, Sunday.) This is where the whole three day idea comes from. If we were to use our present day idea about three days then we would take the time of death, add 72 hour to it, and come up with the idea that Jesus didn't fulfill the prophesy.

jesus broke bread on any day of the week before or after his resurrection, that doesn't make that day the sabbath. 

I can understand how people would want to make this argument. From a rational, present day, way of thinking this would make sense. Once again we need to research what this would have meant to the Jewish people at the time. Time for you to do some homework and share with us what you found out. I hope the truth reveals itself to you in Jesus name.

Good question. My question would be, why does it have to be 3 rotations?

fromtheotherside
    Participant

Joshua wrote:

fromtheotherside wrote:

@Joshua
    . If you persist on attacking our Church and God, I'm gonna keep kicking you in your balls, be glad it's over the internet, doubt you have the balls to say anything face to face.  So calm yourself down.

Viewing 20 replies - 101 through 120 (of 355 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.