Weddings in the WMSCOG

• Creator
    Topic
    genny
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone hear knows anything about wedding ceremonies at the wmscog.  What does the ceremony look like?  Do they use the traditional language, or have special parts of the ceremony like the unity candle or signing a ketubah or rope braiding?  Or do they not have weddings at the church and just go down to the justice of the peace?

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

I actually asked a wmscog member about that while I was still there. She just said it is better to get married in front of the judge than inside a RC church. This gave me an impression that they don't give marriage celebration that much importance or any special meaning. It's like fine, get married, congrats, now go home.  

genny
    Participant

What about at the wmscog church?  Do their pastors do wedding ceremonies?

Simon
    Participant

Every WSCOG member I knew who got married was maried civil

fedupmom
    Participant

I know of someone who was married (I believe it took place in the church), but was done by a justice of the peace. Sometime later they had another "ceremony", away from the church, but it was all a "show" for her family who came from another country. My understanding was that the pastor performed the "ceremony", but it was not "official" as they were already married.

genny
    Participant

Hmm.  Anyone else have experience to share about this?

I'm now thinking of the IRS form (http://encountering-ahnsahnghong.blogspot.com/2011/07/wmscog-said-what-on-official-form.html) the wmscog filled out that states this among their 'activities':

"Wedding ceremonies to join together in holy matrimony men and women who attend the church and become devoted church members.  Weddings will be arranged based on the request by church members.  The pastors, elders, and deacons preside over such ceremonies."

I was going to go a different direction with this, but now I'm wondering…  Do they not really perform official weddings?  Are the pastors somehow not authorized by the state to perform legal marriages?

Simon
    Participant

Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Also any pastor should be by first amendment allowed to officiate a wedding.

Simon
    Participant

are there even more than three in the USA?

genny
    Participant

Found info about who can perform a legal marriage:

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/officiants_requirements/index.shtml

What I was really interested in at first, though, was what their ceremonies looked like and how they differed or were similar to Christian or Jewish (or ?) ceremonies.

Simon
    Participant

those laws seem all over the place lol

Simon
    Participant

I have only heard of the NYC (Ridgewood) Denver and LA pastors

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I’ve been to 2 weddings in zion and participated in one. Its exactly like any other american wedding. Bridesmaids, groomsmen, veil, vows.. no ropes, glass, or anything. They do, however, bow at eachother in the begining. They are wedded in the name of ashnsanhghong.

genny
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

I've been to 2 weddings in zion and participated in one. Its exactly like any other american wedding. Bridesmaids, groomsmen, veil, vows.. no ropes, glass, or anything. They do, however, bow at eachother in the begining. They are wedded in the name of ashnsanhghong.

No candles either?

How about the wording?  Was it the traditional wording for the vows, you know, in sickness and in health, etc.?

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I didn’t notice any candles. It wasn’t a korean wedding. It was a traditional american wedding with a bow added in respect. The vows were the same. Like I said, imagine a traditional american wedding and add a bow and change jesus to ahnsahnghong.

Simon
    Participant

o.o huh

Simon
    Participant

o.o huh

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I would expect a traditional korean wedding to take place in korea.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I would expect a traditional korean wedding to take place in korea.

Simon
    Participant

me too

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I don’t understand why the other forum was closed. Who broke a rule??

Anywho, I will say that the 2 weddings I attended seemed very suspicious. But there were 2 other weddings I didn’t go to. 2 sisters from my group married 2 brothers they met before the wmscog.

jellybean
    Participant

Suspicious in what sense renita.payno ?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.