Weddings in the WMSCOG

• Creator
    Topic
    genny
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone hear knows anything about wedding ceremonies at the wmscog.  What does the ceremony look like?  Do they use the traditional language, or have special parts of the ceremony like the unity candle or signing a ketubah or rope braiding?  Or do they not have weddings at the church and just go down to the justice of the peace?

genny
    Participant

I did not grow up in church, and the first wedding I remember attending I was already an adult.  Yet I knew these words so well from movies and television as traditional wedding words.  I knew them so well that when I got married I asked for them to be said because it wouldn't feel like the wedding I had dreamed about without the familiar words.  (Though in a bit more modern language.)

Here it is again: http://www.stgeorgesinthepines.org/bcp-wedding-service.pdf.  The words I grew up hearing are:

from the first page, "Dearly beloved we are gathered here …"

nearly all of the second page ("Will you take this woman… With this ring I thee wed…")

from the third page, middle of the first column, "Those whom God has joined together… I pronounce that they be man and wife."

I wonder if these are the same words used in a ceremony for wmscog members.  When I think "traditional Christian/English wedding ceremony," I think of these words.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I don’t remember what they said exactly.. I know they said in sickness and in health, for better or for worse.. I kept having to leave because my daughter was being noisy.

Simon
    Participant

well that’s unconstitutional for the law to determine what a religion considers ordained or not

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I’m way late in responding but the point I was trying to make is just because something is secular it doesn’t mean its bad.

MountainMom
    Participant

In some states anyone can marry people, all that is required is that the couple have a marriage license.  You don't even need to be justice of the peace or anything.

Simon
    Participant

WMSCOG has no real seminary or anything for Pastors really any more than they do for common members. The one who tested me for sermon books was a Pastor Seminary teacher for WMSCOG so maybe I  should qualify under such regulations. 

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Marraige is a legal thing right? Religion is the extra part..??

Simon
    Participant

marraige is a property contract basicly

Love'n Honey
    Participant

That’s how i view it.

genny
    Participant

Marriage is both legal and religious, though people who are not religious ignore that part.

Matthew 19:4-6

Simon
    Participant

That's pretty much its original intent, it ensured proper exchange of property with legitimate heirs (among other things)

Love'n Honey
    Participant

So, it was a legal thing from God making it religious.

Simon
    Participant

a marraige is arguably a covenant between you your spouse and God.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I talked to my friend who used to be a member. Our branch, the person who recruited us, was a lesbian. Once being a part of zion, she turn “straight”.. but my friend said soon after, she turned lesbian again. Only good trees yield good fruit, they say. Perhaps that’s why I didn’t stay. Lol! Anywho.. there was another lesbian and a gay guy who got I married. I told you guys already. My friend also thinks they got married to “prove” they weren’t gay anymore. Personally, I don’t think being gay is a choice much like being straight isn’t a choice. I think all of them are very much flaming gay and my branch was strong enough to accept it. I think most of the marraiges in the wmscog have some underlying agenda that has nothing to do with love.

jellybean
    Participant

Yes renita I think the same. Some times they marry because their “sinful nature” is not letting them do the “gospel work.” Other times is to train to be able to lead a house church. Many times is just to commit with an interest from the church. One member that became very close to me Maried in terms of a week with a member that she barely knew. I asked her “do you love him?” She said only as a brother and that she did it for “f&m” not for herself. She said it was better like that so she totally focuses her life in God and the “gospel work.”

Emily
    Participant

This is just my opinion but it seems like these marriages that are not for love ensure that the allegiance and commitment remains in an upward direction.  For example, a couple that married for the "gospel work" and not for love, will probably be more committed to the organization than their spouses.  So there doesn't seem to be a need for the organization to worry about both people leaving if one suddenly stops believing in the leader.  In the example above given by jellybean, the woman's focus is on the "gospel work" and not on her husband.  It's probably because she has no real emotional connection to him.  I'm not sure that you are supposed to view your spouse as a sibling per say.  That just sounds weird.  I get that we are all children of God but a relationship between man and wife is not the same as a relationship between brother and sister.  

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Referring to the last part, I do find it weird that members acknowledge their spouses and brother and sister in zion. Treating them like they’re nothing more than siblings. Then go home and treat their spouses like spouses. Its like they’re living a double life.

jellybean
    Participant

On top of that we the “sisters” couldn’t visit her no more or hang out with her till late as before. They don’t like sisters or brothers to visit them to their new place. Sometimes I saw the married sisters using the Zion’s activities to scape their home duties like cooking, cleaning or laundry. You could tell by the brother’s phone call, text msgs or even stearing at her on the sisters side. Their life totally change and this one girl I refer to I became really close to her and now I just have left to pray for her because she is really stuck in there.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

One brother was doubting his faith because his wife literally replaced her role of wife with sister. He said they don’t have sex or show intimacy. She pawned her wedding ring to donate to the wmscog. He seemed really upset. He said he missed his wife. But I think he loves her so much he won’t leave the wmscog. I think he believes but not like his wife does.

I texted him a while ago but he didn’t respond. I think now word is getting around not to talk to me. Because no one from seattle zion is speaking to me. I’m going to try again because he’s not a true brother, I can tell. He still has his own mind but his decisions are heavily influenced by his wifes commitment.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I just spoke to the 2 brothers in my class. I’ll give a detailed rewrite of our conversation when I get out of class. So much crontadiction!! Ugh!

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.