Weddings in the WMSCOG

• Creator
    Topic
    genny
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone hear knows anything about wedding ceremonies at the wmscog.  What does the ceremony look like?  Do they use the traditional language, or have special parts of the ceremony like the unity candle or signing a ketubah or rope braiding?  Or do they not have weddings at the church and just go down to the justice of the peace?

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Lol, renita.payno.

Well, the first wedding was between 2 gay people who supposedly turned straight after becoming members. I wonder what’s happened with them. It was weird because they both looked and acted very gay but were “straight”. The 2nd was between an american brother and a new korean sister who knew very little english.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

The pastor married them all. But most people who are marrying for love marry outside the church to avoid conflict.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

If I were to marry an indian person, I wouldn’t have a traditional indian wedding because I don’t agree with indian rituals.

Simon
    Participant

Hal wrote:

renita.payno wrote:

I don't understand why the other forum was closed. Who broke a rule??

Anywho, I will say that the 2 weddings I attended seemed very suspicious. But there were 2 other weddings I didn't go to. 2 sisters from my group married 2 brothers they met before the wmscog.

Who preformed said ceremony? Why do you think a majority of folks have civil weddings? The deacons, missionaries are not bonafide pastors having been accredited by going to a theological school and that is why the ceremonies are nothing more than show. Ive seen the ceremony that is preformed in Korea (it was a large wedding kinda like the Moonies) and it was based upon Buddhist tradition with the drinking of the rice wine and the bowing.

really don't think you are bringing up relevent information. 

Simon
    Participant

You don't need to be a pastor by any laws you need to be accepted by your religious institution to perform the ceremony. And even if that weren't true any other policy would be grossly unconstitutional.

Abhigail Delema
    Participant

Genny  i have attended two weddings in the zion in india ,i heard the pastor telling my group leader you need to follow your culture and they have a ceremony book and they read all their material from it they exchange their rings and the parents of the boys are invited and they need to take care of the snacks and food ,everyone from the zion is not invited only the missionarys decans,large &small leaders and close friends . The food is prepared by the members in zion and it is all done on a quite strange but true. So far we have had five marriages here of which i must tell you that one was a missionary who was alraedy married and divorced before he joined the truth but he was allowed to marry again to a korean as per the head quaters in korea but to my suprise his korean wife also left him and is back in korea i must also tell you she was a divoce too, this was in pune   .All of them legally get married in court .These marragies that take place in zion are only of the people who will serve the zion and after that sorry to say vasatomy is performed on the men so that they dont produce,for the other members who marry they are told to get married in court and call people to a small wedding ,l like the last wedding was in a babylon hall with idols and the pastor and members attended and he was strickly told not to pray there because the caretaker got to know this is a cult.I just got to know there was one more marrage done last week in court but the boys parenets are not aware and after a day or two the girls mother phones the boys mother and tells her your son is married to my daughter please except them, the boys mother is not in zion,so the boy tells his mother please except her she will be of great help to you she will cook for you look after you,press your legs for you etc.The mother says i am ready to except the girl provided she stops going to that church this boy also is a assitant of a church.The weddings which i have attended i also heard a korean play a babylon wedding song on the piano in zion. hypocrites. they tell indians to follow their culture but they cleverly make the indians follow them true their ceremony book.

Simon
    Participant

strange that renita went to one that was traditional American but the ones you and Hal saw were Korean

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I went to 2 and they weren’t group leaders. Just regular member. The other 2, sisters from my group who definitely married for love, had traditional american weddings too. I just didn’t go. I was watching the kids.

genny
    Participant

My thought with exploring weddings was to see if they followed traditions in the ceremonies.  There isn't a lot said about wedding ceremonies in the Bible.  Our wedding ceremonies today are full of tradition (whether Christian or Korean), and even the traditional Christian vows (in sickness and in health, etc) were written by men.

I hear the wmscog claim that it only follows what's in the Bible, not traditions of men, and that if it's not in the Bible, they don't do it.  Why then would they follow wedding traditions?

genny
    Participant

Are the ketubah, chuppah, and breaking of the glass specified in the Tanakh for weddings?

I think weddings are full of beautiful traditions and symbolism.  I just wonder how the wmscog handles the tradition part of it, since little is spelled out in the Bible and you know how they are about traditions.

Simon
    Participant

genny wrote:

My thought with exploring weddings was to see if they followed traditions in the ceremonies.  There isn't a lot said about wedding ceremonies in the Bible.  Our wedding ceremonies today are full of tradition (whether Christian or Korean), and even the traditional Christian vows (in sickness and in health, etc) were written by men.

I hear the wmscog claim that it only follows what's in the Bible, not traditions of men, and that if it's not in the Bible, they don't do it.  Why then would they follow wedding traditions?

because that only refers to religious ceremony

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Right.. religious ceremonies and supersticion* are not followed by the wmscog unless it can be “proven” through scripture to be from god. In sickness and in health may be traditional words in a vow but still apply in marraige. Even one sister was talking about how embarrassing it would be if she walked down the aisle in a white dress when she’s obviously not a virgin. So, she wore cream. Idk if that’s religious or not but I now its a pretty standard tradition.

genny
    Participant

Simon wrote:

Do you mean that they don't consider a wedding a religious ceremony?

Simon
    Participant

genny wrote:

Simon wrote:

Do you mean that they don't consider a wedding a religious ceremony?

The traditions are secular. There is no sciprtural ceremony.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

What is a tradition? Every year once a year, no matter when, a huge family portrait is taken from the oldest living family member to the youngest. How is that wrong? I don’t see any scripture pertaining to using a toilet or the internet or other things but that doesn’t seem to be wrong. Toilets and internet is fairly secular being that they have no religious value.

Simon
    Participant

no-one said those were wrong

genny
    Participant

I was told (more than once), "Thanksgiving is not in the Bible, that's why we don't celebrate Thanksgiving."

I was also told, "Purim wasn't commanded by God, that's why we don't celebrate Purim."

Weddings with the traditional, scripted vows and ceremony are different than taking a family portrait every year.

Never mind the white dress, bouquets, veils, candles, etc, but think of the wording for a minute.  The traditional wedding vows/ceremony wording that I'm familiar with (and probably all of you too) is from the Book of Common Prayer and has been used for hundreds of years.  You could argue that this Book of Common Prayer is from the prostitute daughter churches of Babylon, so why would the WMSCOG allow its use?

Here's a version from 1559 (excuse the outdated spellings): http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/1559/Marriage_1559.htm

Simon
    Participant

even accounting for spelling 90% of that doesn’t look familiar

genny
    Participant

How about this one (with updated spelling)?  Try starting with the second page.

http://www.stgeorgesinthepines.org/bcp-wedding-service.pdf

Simon
    Participant

really looks different apart from like four paragraphs

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.