Is Sunday Christian or Catholic?

• Creator
    Topic
    fromtheotherside
    Participant

“From this same Catholic Church you have accepted your Sunday, and that Sunday, as the Lord’s day, she has handed down as a tradition; and the entire Protestant world has accepted it as tradition, for you have not an iota of Scripture to establish it. Therefore that which you have accepted as your rule of faith, in­adequate as it of course is, as well as your Sunday, you have accepted on the authority of the Roman Catholic Church” (D.B. Ray;">The Papal Controversy, p. 179, 1892).

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Wow, that was a little forward. This site is getting a little nasty.. But in response to Joshua, I totally understand what you said in the 2nd response. You're right, we have to think like they were thinking in that time. I'm going to research the bible and see if there is any verse that says or suggests that people didn't casually break bread; that breaking bread meant a feast or sabbath was being kept. I will also see if there is any scripture other than the Res. to back up your first response as well.

fromtheotherside
    Participant

It wasn't at all that way until Joshua took shots and started talking out of his rear end. The debate was non combative until he took it there.

emil
    Participant

Warning – This post is likely to raise hackles.

1. I am not proposing that Sunday should be the sabbath at all. My point is that God wants us to have one day in the week in which to rest our bodies. The same day is to be dedicated to God. This has to be viewed in the context of history where many people were exploited as slaves and had no day of rest.

2. One day of God's creation does not translate to one day of earth time. Therefore one cannot take the Saturday sabbath literally. The important point is to set aside one day in the week for the Lord. This could be Saturday, Sunday or even Friday as the people in the Middle East follow. If one wants to follow the sabbath strictly on Saturday because of the old testament, then one has to follow the entire rule set too.

2. Tell me where Jesus commanded the Saturday sabbath. Look at the times when Jesus told people which commandments they were to follow. I am not aware the sabbath was mentioned even once in that context. Look at Mt19:18-19, Mt 22:37-39, Mk 12:29-33, Lk 10:26-28.

3. Regarding Jesus and the apostles keeping the sabbath. They were Jews and were required to keep the sabbath because they were under old covenant law until the Resurrection. It has been mentioned in this forum that shifting to Sunday worship was something the apostles condemned as lawless. If that is the case, why was this not explicitly specified to the faithful (many of whom were not Jews) in the council of Jerusalem in 50 AD? It was a great opportunity for the apostles to impose Saturday worship on all Christians but they didn't.

4. Paul, writing in Gal 2:11-21 and continuing in Gal 3, strongly opposes the influence of the Jewish lobby in trying to impose works of the law in the early church. Circumcision and sabbath were significant impositions. In Gal 3:21 he asserts that the law cannot bring righteousness. I understand that this means observing sabbath on Saturday will not get you to heaven unlike what is being bandied about here.

I believe Heb 4 actually removes the idea of fixing a specific day of the week as a one-size-fits-all day for worship. Sunday is a good choice because it is the day of the Lord's resurrection. Perhaps some may not give the resurrection day significance because their own god did not rise from the dead.

However, any other day of the week should be good enough to rest and worship God like for instance Friday in the Persian gulf area. The point is that God made the sabbath for man so that man could have rest and use the day to dedicate to God. Every day is God's day.

fromtheotherside
    Participant

Good points Emil, I will excuse the sarchasim in the second paragraph in number 4 just once.  Gal was written for jews who kept the ot laws, as apostle paul mentions but apostle paul goes onto say he is under the Law of Christ.  So there are a distinction betweent he two.  Jesus gives a good example of that when he says "is it lawful to help the sick on the sabbath" he never spoke about getting rid of the celebration but the laws that impede us from doing good on that day.  

Jesus says to love God with all your heart and all your mind.  That means to follow Gods' commands, thus implying that we should follow his laws.  

Also the resurection day is apart of God's feast which we do celebrate but not every week which is not the way the aposlte were taught or even did, so that's where the problem lies.  

Here is where you are confused, following the sabbath is not following the OT which Jesus never spoke against keeping the sabbath celebration, nor did his disciples, he did speak against the rules and regulations contained in the sabbath as I pointed out but not the sabbath celebration, which god said will be an everlasting celebration which means even to this day should be kept but witht eh teachings of Christ, as he said is it lawful to helpthe sick on the sabbath.  If we stop keeping the sabbath then it contradicts the words of Jehovah who clearly said it was a everlasting celebration. 

emil
    Participant

Sorry. I apologize for my allusion to the absence of Resurrection of AhnSahngHong.

My point is that we must keep the essence of the sabbath which is treating one in 7 days as a day of rest dedicated to God. There was no Saturday or Sunday or anything at the time of creation. The days mentioned in the creation story are not 24 hour Earth days. Every day is made by God and of equal importance.

I am told by a wmscog member that we must keep Jesus' commands if we love him. I say he never said to keep the sabbath on Saturday. In fact he never said to keep the sabbath at all as far as I know. You turn it around and say he did not say not to keep it.

The commandment to love God is the first commandment. The Sabbath command has its own position among the ten. I agree that loving God means following his commandments. But then, as I said, the essence of the sabbath is one day in 7 of rest and dedicated to God. Guys with the developed west mindset look at Saturday/Sunday as the only options. In many countries, neither is feasible. Are Christians in those countries going to hell? Our God is a loving God.

fromtheotherside
    Participant

Sorry to put it this way Emil but that is an excuse, not to keep Gods' day because of restrictions from people or countries is an excuse not a reason.  At the time of the early church they were put to death for keeping it, did it stop them? no they went in to hiding to keep their faith in God.  

emil
    Participant

fromtheotherside wrote:

Sorry to put it this way Emil but that is an excuse, not to keep Gods' day because of restrictions from people or countries is an excuse not a reason.  At the time of the early church they were put to death for keeping it, did it stop them? no they went in to hiding to keep their faith in God.  

1. In my country, I know wmscog members who cannot keep Saturday sabbath because it is a working day for them. Tell them what they should do since you say it is only an excuse.

2. AFAIK they were put to death because they tried to keep it on Sunday.

Simon
    Participant

who would put people to death for keeping a day that was already a de facto national holiday?

Simon
    Participant

Sabbath is mentioned enough in the New Testament  one would expect that if it no longer applied that would be much more explicit.   

Furthermore if Jesus changed the set times as people claim he would have prophecies against him why would we believe in a Messiah Daniel called evil? (Daniel 7:25)

emil
    Participant

Jay wrote:

Emil,

So then, what is the point of the weekly Sabbath if it is not to enter into His rest?  Rev 14: 6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Incidentally, the way to avoid the mark of the beast and enter into the promise rest is found in Rev 14:12. Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.  This the real point of Heb 3 and 4.  So in a sense, it actually does promote the 7th day Sabbath.

So that's it? The weekly Sabbath is the key to heaven?

You have an interesting way to use Rev 14 to interpret Heb 4. I can't see any connection in Rev 14:6 that you have quoted. As for Rev 14:12, you are probably refering to the commandments of God. Rather tenuous connection with what Heb 4 is saying. But then again, I have mentioned already how I understand the sabbath commandment.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Emil, I don't see any biblical reference saying Saturday is the Sabbath. People who use the Creation as basis for claiming Saturday is the Sabbath have a weak arguement. As far as history shows, when the days of the week were named, the 7th day was given the name Sabbath in many different languages. Which seems fair being that God says the Sabbath is the 7th day of the week. Plus there's a huge difference between the Sabbath and a Sabbath. "The" describes a specific thing while "a" doesn't. So, to say God wants us to rest on a day is not all the way true. God wants us to rest the day He named the Sabbath, not a day we decide is the Sabbath.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Also, there is no one way to enter heaven. Keeping the Sabbath does not garauntee your salvation but it should keep you moving forward to getting salvation. Running alone doesn't keep you healthy. Healthy dieting alone doesn't keep you healthy either. With healthy choices collectively (physically and spiritually) you can almost certainly reach your goal.

Jay
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

Also, there is no one way to enter heaven. Keeping the Sabbath does not garauntee your salvation but it should keep you moving forward to getting salvation. Running alone doesn't keep you healthy. Healthy dieting alone doesn't keep you healthy either. With healthy choices collectively (physically and spiritually) you can almost certainly reach your goal.

I understand your point, but there is only one way to enter heaven.) Jesuus says I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one gets to Heaven except by me.;)  It is precisely for this reason that he is the only way that we ought to keep His commandments. 

Galatians 2:18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Whatever.. nit picking just like the WMSCOG. You know good and well what I meant by what I said. And if you don't know, I was responding to the comment about the Sabbath being the key to heaven. Don't do that.. If I were to express the obvious everytime I sent a message they would be long and repetitive.

fromtheotherside
    Participant

So this is coming to a stand still, either you're worshiping the sun on sunday or you're worshiping God on Sabbath, or you're worshiping God on any day, there has to be only one.  God's words are black and white, there is no middle.  And Jesus clearly said not everyone who says to me Lord lord will enter heaven but only he who does the will of my Father.  

Jay
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

Whatever.. nit picking just like the WMSCOG. You know good and well what I meant by what I said. And if you don't know, I was responding to the comment about the Sabbath being the key to heaven. Don't do that.. If I were to express the obvious everytime I sent a message they would be long and repetitive.

Sorry, but in a forum dedicated to exposing strange doctrine, the obvious is sometimes not so obvious.  In other words I know you may know, but to others looking on it may not be so obvious.  Don't take it personally Renita!! 🙂   

God bless,

–Jay 

Joshua
    Participant

fromtheotherside wrote:

So this is coming to a stand still, either you're worshiping the sun on sunday or you're worshiping God on Sabbath, or you're worshiping God on any day, there has to be only one.  God's words are black and white, there is no middle.  And Jesus clearly said not everyone who says to me Lord lord will enter heaven but only he who does the will of my Father.  

I look forward to the day when you try this. Right now you are violating the first commandment just for starters. Pathetic.

emil
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

I was just quoting Jay

Jay wrote:

So then, what is the point of the weekly Sabbath if it is not to enter into His rest?

My point is that we are getting too sticky about the letter of the law while losing the spirit of it. I say this because of what Jesus said and did during his ministry.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

There are people who think trying to follow the rules 100% isn't necessary while others think it is. Though we [generally] say the rules were put in place to follow, the Scripture says the rules were meant to be broken. I know God has a different mind than we [generally] do but good is good right? Does good change when it comes to God and us? I don't think so. God sees it good to love and we see it good to love. Even before we intelligently knew God we loved to love.

The laws on earth are for order. With good laws, if followed, we have good order. Many will say that God's laws are good simply because God made them and God is completely good. So, if His laws are followed, or at least attempted to be followed, then we would have good order and consistency amongst Chrstians.

I think there is such a thing as paying too much attention to the law that we [generally] lose track of why we're doing it. But at the same time, only paying attention to why and not looking into what the law really says isn't good either. Why would God put any effort into teaching us how and why if the how or why didn't matter?

fromtheotherside
    Participant

emil wrote:

renita.payno wrote:

I was just quoting Jay

Jay wrote:

So then, what is the point of the weekly Sabbath if it is not to enter into His rest?

My point is that we are getting too sticky about the letter of the law while losing the spirit of it. I say this because of what Jesus said and did during his ministry.

What  if Jesus wanted us to know and obey Christ's laws, and what if Sabbath was one of them?  What if not keeping sabbath lead to not being saved?

You can think well there is nothing in the bible that makes us 100% believe that.  Right?  But there is nothing in the bible that 100% leads you not to believe it also.  

Let's think about this.  Let's first think about sunday. If this is God's NEW day of worship then that means it is NEW to all people.  Everyone only new Saturday because of the Jews. 

Then if this is a NEW commandment or law then shouldn't it be expressed as Moses did in the old testament.  Or as God did, he always gave and declared any new laws.   But Sunday was never given.  

But let's think about saturday.  This day was already in effect it was already declared it was already known.  People argue God never told us to keep it in the new testament.  But why would he have to when people are already keeping it.  It is already known.  And he gave laws concerning it.  He said " is it not lawful to heal people on the sabbath"  and then he healed the sick and the blind.  So he is giving us new rules to follow on the sabbath.   

Viewing 20 replies - 121 through 140 (of 355 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.