December 25, 2011

• Creator
    Topic
    Moved-Comment
    Participant

This comment was originally posted on "The church that celebrates the birth of Christ on December 25 is heretic." – Chief Pastor Joo Choel Kim and has been moved here for further discussion:

Renita says:

As I understand it, the Passover is the 14th day of the 1st month of Nisan which falls somewhere between March & April time on our calendar. I’m pretty sure the Passover was held on a Sunday in the WMSCOG at some point in history. But does that mean the COG is celebrating Communion like other churches do on Sunday? Certainly not. Every celebration the COG holds is in accordance with the Jewish calendar, not our own. I was baptized I believe March 27, 2010. But according to the Jewish calendar, I was baptized Nisan 14, 2010. April 5th marked the 2nd anniversary of my baptism. How is this possible? Because I keep track of my baptism in accordance with the Jewish calendar, not our own. April 5th, 2012 & Nisan 14th, 2012 are the same day.

If anyone has studied with a member of the WMSCOG & asked concerning Father’s coming day & December 25th, 2011, the member would gladly show the comparison between the 2 calendars making this point no evidence at all against the COG.

genny
    Participant

The wmscog keeps Ahnsahnghong's birthday according to the (Asian) lunar calendar, not the Jewish (or sacred) calendar.  I think that's pretty significant.

Also, about the Dec. 25 thing… Why make SUCH a big production out of his birthday just on the year it falls on Christmas and not any other year?

And loocpoc has a point about birthdays.  The wmscog makes a point of not following any pagan or man-made traditions.  Where in the Bible does God tell us to celebrate birthdays?

genny
    Participant

The wmscog keeps Ahnsahnghong's birthday according to the (Asian) lunar calendar, not the Jewish (or sacred) calendar.  I think that's pretty significant.

Also, about the Dec. 25 thing… Why make SUCH a big production out of his birthday just on the year it falls on Christmas and not any other year?

And loocpoc has a point about birthdays.  The wmscog makes a point of not following any pagan or man-made traditions.  Where in the Bible does God tell us to celebrate birthdays?

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I’m sorry for saying Jewish calendar. But yes, the COG keeps account of all festivities in accordance with the lunar calendar. Now, the calendar I go by has the months named after gods I don’t believe in. As are the days of the week. Because I was brought up using this calendar, should I worship these gods, too? That’s a silly argument. Also, don’t attack me. I’m merely expressing what I was told. Why make it a big deal last year? Idk.. I thought it was funny though. Very ironic.. =)

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I’m sorry for saying Jewish calendar. But yes, the COG keeps account of all festivities in accordance with the lunar calendar. Now, the calendar I go by has the months named after gods I don’t believe in. As are the days of the week. Because I was brought up using this calendar, should I worship these gods, too? That’s a silly argument. Also, don’t attack me. I’m merely expressing what I was told. Why make it a big deal last year? Idk.. I thought it was funny though. Very ironic.. =)

Simon
    Participant

genny wrote:

God doesn't tell you to do a lot of things that doesn't make them Pagan

As far as a big production EVERYTHING has been going into big production lately.

The reason we go by the Chinese Calendar is Korea uses the Chinese Calendar.  If AhnSahngHong were born in The United States we'd go off of the gregorian calendar. His birthday isn't a feast day so we do not celebrate it as such.

loocpoc wrote:

renita.payno wrote:

I'm sorry for saying Jewish calendar. But yes, the COG keeps account of all festivities in accordance with the lunar calendar. Now, the calendar I go by has the months named after gods I don't believe in. As are the days of the week. Because I was brought up using this calendar, should I worship these gods, too? That's a silly argument. Also, don't attack me. I'm merely expressing what I was told. Why make it a big deal last year? Idk.. I thought it was funny though. Very ironic.. =)

So you keep account of Purim which is in the bible? The civil calendar as we know go by, while the months are dedicated to the various Greek and Roman Gods is nothing but a way to keep track of time. If you want to be a jewish then convert. You goyum need to keep with Christmas and Easter.

Purim isn't from God but from Mordechai and needing to celebrate Christmas and Easter is absolute nonsense NEITHER were celebrated in the church until well after Christianity was formed.

Simon
    Participant

genny wrote:

As far as a big production EVERYTHING has been going into big production lately.

The reason we go by the Chinese Calendar is Korea uses the Chinese Calendar.  If AhnSahngHong were born in The United States we'd go off of the gregorian calendar. His birthday isn't a feast day so we do not celebrate it as such.

loocpoc wrote:

renita.payno wrote:

I'm sorry for saying Jewish calendar. But yes, the COG keeps account of all festivities in accordance with the lunar calendar. Now, the calendar I go by has the months named after gods I don't believe in. As are the days of the week. Because I was brought up using this calendar, should I worship these gods, too? That's a silly argument. Also, don't attack me. I'm merely expressing what I was told. Why make it a big deal last year? Idk.. I thought it was funny though. Very ironic.. =)

So you keep account of Purim which is in the bible? The civil calendar as we know go by, while the months are dedicated to the various Greek and Roman Gods is nothing but a way to keep track of time. If you want to be a jewish then convert. You goyum need to keep with Christmas and Easter.

Purim isn't from God but from Mordechai and needing to celebrate Christmas and Easter is absolute nonsense NEITHER were celebrated in the church until well after Christianity was formed.

Simon
    Participant

loocpoc wrote:

shimon wrote:

genny wrote:

loocpoc wrote:

renita.payno wrote:

But is Purim not in the Bible?  If you want to be jewish, then convert. Otherwise stick with your own holidays

So is sun god worship, so is Aherah worship, so is calf worship…

Simon
    Participant

loocpoc wrote:

shimon wrote:

genny wrote:

loocpoc wrote:

renita.payno wrote:

But is Purim not in the Bible?  If you want to be jewish, then convert. Otherwise stick with your own holidays

So is sun god worship, so is Aherah worship, so is calf worship…

Simon
    Participant

They aren't Christian Holidays christmas is a mix of 4 or 5 roman holidays Easter is a mix of a dozen holidays.

Whether you accept Him or not Jesus the God of the Jews and would have abided by the scriptural holidays not the Pagan ones, and expected his followers to do likewise.

Simon
    Participant

They aren't Christian Holidays christmas is a mix of 4 or 5 roman holidays Easter is a mix of a dozen holidays.

Whether you accept Him or not Jesus the God of the Jews and would have abided by the scriptural holidays not the Pagan ones, and expected his followers to do likewise.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

loopoc:

As I was taught, we don't celebrate Purim because it's not listed as a Feast in Lev 23. I don't celebrate Christmas for the same reason. Even Chanakuh* (I apologize for the crude mis-spelling). The COG didn't teach me this, but I don't celebrate birthdays for the same reason. That was a decision I made on my own.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

loopoc:

As I was taught, we don't celebrate Purim because it's not listed as a Feast in Lev 23. I don't celebrate Christmas for the same reason. Even Chanakuh* (I apologize for the crude mis-spelling). The COG didn't teach me this, but I don't celebrate birthdays for the same reason. That was a decision I made on my own.

genny
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

The COG didn't teach me this, but I don't celebrate birthdays for the same reason. That was a decision I made on my own.

Renita, I just want to share that this is the beauty of the freedom we have in Christ, and the expression of it in Romans 14.  I think it's wonderful that you are aware of what is meaningful to your faith.

We all have different personalities (God gave us differences!), and things that are meaningful to you are different from things that are meaningful to me.  And we don't have to worship Jesus in the exact same way.

I find it faith-building to celebrate a birthday.  You find it faith-building to not celebrate a birthday.  They are both ok. ๐Ÿ™‚

There is nothing wrong with celebrating Purim, if it is meaningful to you.  And there is nothing wrong with not celebrating it.

Some people find it faith-building to have lots of ceremony and ancient tradition.  To others that is distracting, and instead they find less structured services faith-building.  Both can be ok.

My friend has great talent for decorating and loves to serve God by making the foyer and ladies room beautiful so people feel welcomed and comfortable.  I have very little talent for such things and it wouldn't even occur to me to decorate in that way.  Does that mean I'm not serving God well?  (I hope the point has come across ๐Ÿ™‚

There's a good book that addresses this: Sacred Pathways by Gary Thomas: http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Pathways-Discover-Your-Souls/dp/0310329884/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338829824&sr=1-1

I think you might like it.

genny
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

The COG didn't teach me this, but I don't celebrate birthdays for the same reason. That was a decision I made on my own.

Renita, I just want to share that this is the beauty of the freedom we have in Christ, and the expression of it in Romans 14.  I think it's wonderful that you are aware of what is meaningful to your faith.

We all have different personalities (God gave us differences!), and things that are meaningful to you are different from things that are meaningful to me.  And we don't have to worship Jesus in the exact same way.

I find it faith-building to celebrate a birthday.  You find it faith-building to not celebrate a birthday.  They are both ok. ๐Ÿ™‚

There is nothing wrong with celebrating Purim, if it is meaningful to you.  And there is nothing wrong with not celebrating it.

Some people find it faith-building to have lots of ceremony and ancient tradition.  To others that is distracting, and instead they find less structured services faith-building.  Both can be ok.

My friend has great talent for decorating and loves to serve God by making the foyer and ladies room beautiful so people feel welcomed and comfortable.  I have very little talent for such things and it wouldn't even occur to me to decorate in that way.  Does that mean I'm not serving God well?  (I hope the point has come across ๐Ÿ™‚

There's a good book that addresses this: Sacred Pathways by Gary Thomas: http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Pathways-Discover-Your-Souls/dp/0310329884/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338829824&sr=1-1

I think you might like it.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

loocpoc:

Please provide the verses which support Jesus celebrating Pesach, Channukah, & Macabees. I searched it online through youversion.com (online bible) & nothing came up in reference to Jesus.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

loocpoc:

Please provide the verses which support Jesus celebrating Pesach, Channukah, & Macabees. I searched it online through youversion.com (online bible) & nothing came up in reference to Jesus.

Jubilee
    Participant

John 10:22 talks about Jesus going to the Feast of Dedication but, there is a footnote that is Hanukkah.  The feast of Purim and the feast of dedication is the feast of Hanukkah.  

According to the "Green Book" Chapter 2 ASH wrote about these feasts.

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/600519/jewish/The-Dedication.htm

This website has more info, 

Jubilee
    Participant

John 10:22 talks about Jesus going to the Feast of Dedication but, there is a footnote that is Hanukkah.  The feast of Purim and the feast of dedication is the feast of Hanukkah.  

According to the "Green Book" Chapter 2 ASH wrote about these feasts.

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/600519/jewish/The-Dedication.htm

This website has more info, 

Love'n Honey
    Participant

It doesn't say that He celebrated the feast. It just says that He was there during that time. I even argue about the Feast of Tabernacles. It doesn't say He kept it. Just that He was there during that time… But I will look into my Green Book later.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

It doesn't say that He celebrated the feast. It just says that He was there during that time. I even argue about the Feast of Tabernacles. It doesn't say He kept it. Just that He was there during that time… But I will look into my Green Book later.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.