Subtle alienation from the outside world?

• Creator
    Topic
    Emily
    Participant

Not too long ago 144k argued that former members complained about their negative experiences with the wms because of a low self-esteem and a victim complex.  Other members in the forum have made similar arguments in order to discredit all former member testimony.  Why do members almost immediately dismiss any complaints about negative experiences by former members?  

I believe that the wms induces a persecution complex in its members.  Of course this may not seem obvious but upon closer inspection, the influence of a perception of persecution from the outside world is evidenced in some of the wms literature.  In "My Sheep Listen to My Voice" p. 219 Joo writes when answering "How Does the Devil Temp Us?"…

"By making us doubt God's administration"…

-which I interpret to mean doubts in the church leadership

"By making our family members [parents, children, wife, husband, etc.], relatives or our acquaintances [neighbors, friends, etc.] slander us".

-which I interpret to mean that if the people closest to you criticize the wms and question your membership, it's really the devil tempting you to leave the organization

When answering "What Is the Devil's Purpose In Tempting Us?" Joo writes…

"Satan tempts us to sin, go astray, forsake our faith, rebel against God, and eventually follow him".

-which I interpret to mean ultimately leaving the wms

There are more quotes in this book of course.  Is anyone else willing to post a few from any of the wms literature they have?

Love'n Honey
    Participant

When ever I was late to service after frantically trying to be on time, it was satan hindering me from getting my blessing.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

When ever I was late to service after frantically trying to be on time, it was satan hindering me from getting my blessing.

Love
    Participant

While I was a member I never left or miss a single worship service. why? I always Participate in mission. why? I almost went to preaching with all my sole and mind. why? I always tried to do my best. why? But today they Ignore me. where is the charity (Love) as god said. while Im was brain washed I couldn't know any thing. But when I wake up from the sleep I knew every single move of this cult. this is my story.

Love
    Participant

While I was a member I never left or miss a single worship service. why? I always Participate in mission. why? I almost went to preaching with all my sole and mind. why? I always tried to do my best. why? But today they Ignore me. where is the charity (Love) as god said. while Im was brain washed I couldn't know any thing. But when I wake up from the sleep I knew every single move of this cult. this is my story.

Stained
    Participant

Love wrote:

Tell it and shout it from the Rooftops.

Stained
    Participant

Love wrote:

Tell it and shout it from the Rooftops.

Love
    Participant

I always tried hard just for salvation. but later after 6 years I came to know that I was in a cult.

Love
    Participant

I always tried hard just for salvation. but later after 6 years I came to know that I was in a cult.

Disturbed
    Participant

@Love
    …By the grace of God, He allowed you to wake up and realize you were in bondage. Better late than never. The very thing I told them after I left was that there is no love in that church. Why do they disassociate themselves from those who "fall away"? Arent they in the business of saving souls? Yet after you leave, when you find out the reality of this destructive group, no one reaches out to you. After treating you so bad, its almost an after thought to ask you to repent and come back. Yeah right! Who wants to return? They will ostracize you even more if you go back.

I'm glad you're here. And I'm also glad we have this forum to express our thoughts and feelings to people who know first hand what we're talking about. I long for the day when many more of our loving brothers and sisters come here to let us know they made it out ๐Ÿ˜€

Disturbed
    Participant

@Love
    …By the grace of God, He allowed you to wake up and realize you were in bondage. Better late than never. The very thing I told them after I left was that there is no love in that church. Why do they disassociate themselves from those who "fall away"? Arent they in the business of saving souls? Yet after you leave, when you find out the reality of this destructive group, no one reaches out to you. After treating you so bad, its almost an after thought to ask you to repent and come back. Yeah right! Who wants to return? They will ostracize you even more if you go back.

I'm glad you're here. And I'm also glad we have this forum to express our thoughts and feelings to people who know first hand what we're talking about. I long for the day when many more of our loving brothers and sisters come here to let us know they made it out ๐Ÿ˜€

PeacefulSpeaks
    Participant

Right on!

PeacefulSpeaks
    Participant

Right on!

emil
    Participant

Honestly, I do not think that a person who leaves any group can expect to be treated the same in every way as when one was in the group. That kind of relationship should not be expected.

Having said that, I also think it is wrong to osrtacize, ignore and be completely indifferent to a former group member. Ideally, the membership of the group must be independent of the friendship. The interactions based on the friendship must continue but it is fine if the interactions based on ones membership of the group cease.

As an example, if there are two friends who were close in pre-wmscog days, their relationship should continue regardless of one being in and the other out. On the other hand, people within a group have a special bond of reaching out in case of need. One can hardly complain if this out reach ceases.

emil
    Participant

Honestly, I do not think that a person who leaves any group can expect to be treated the same in every way as when one was in the group. That kind of relationship should not be expected.

Having said that, I also think it is wrong to osrtacize, ignore and be completely indifferent to a former group member. Ideally, the membership of the group must be independent of the friendship. The interactions based on the friendship must continue but it is fine if the interactions based on ones membership of the group cease.

As an example, if there are two friends who were close in pre-wmscog days, their relationship should continue regardless of one being in and the other out. On the other hand, people within a group have a special bond of reaching out in case of need. One can hardly complain if this out reach ceases.

Emily
    Participant

Does the WMS admit that they ostracize former members? I don’t recall what they have said about that in the forum.

Emily
    Participant

Does the WMS admit that they ostracize former members? I don’t recall what they have said about that in the forum.

Disturbed
    Participant

I believe in another thread 144k said we dont deserve anything and that we've had our opportunity. On a more positive note, I have been able to maintain my friendships with other members that have left. In fact, I must thank this destructive group for having brought an awesome group of people into my life that I may not have otherwise met. So while the cult thinks they're breaking us down by alienating us from current members, we on the outside have been able to thrive, rejoin society and be productive again.

Disturbed
    Participant

I believe in another thread 144k said we dont deserve anything and that we've had our opportunity. On a more positive note, I have been able to maintain my friendships with other members that have left. In fact, I must thank this destructive group for having brought an awesome group of people into my life that I may not have otherwise met. So while the cult thinks they're breaking us down by alienating us from current members, we on the outside have been able to thrive, rejoin society and be productive again.

Carlos
    Participant

Emily wrote:

Does the WMS admit that they ostracize former members? I don't recall what they have said about that in the forum.

Ostracize? well it depends on the individual who left the church. If it is someone with influence they will spread rumors about them which may or may not be true. It is more likely they will tell you that person has lost their faith and you should no longer communicate with them or you will lose yours which i suppose also may or may not be true.

Carlos
    Participant

Emily wrote:

Does the WMS admit that they ostracize former members? I don't recall what they have said about that in the forum.

Ostracize? well it depends on the individual who left the church. If it is someone with influence they will spread rumors about them which may or may not be true. It is more likely they will tell you that person has lost their faith and you should no longer communicate with them or you will lose yours which i suppose also may or may not be true.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.