WMSCOG v. Kang Geun Byeong & Jo Seong Geun
- Plaintiff World Mission Society Church of God in South Korea sued former members Kang Geun Byeong (Kang) and Jo Seong Geun (Jo).
- Kang and Jo were members of the WMSCOG from 1999 until 2008.
- After their membership in the WMSCOG, Kang and Jo became outspoken critics who posted their opinions on a blog (http://cafe.naver.com)
- The WMSCOG sued Kang and Jo for saying that the WMSCOG:
- destroyed families;
- encouraged divorce;
- extorted money and property from members;
- and pressured members to recruit under the threat of being cursed if they did not comply.
- The Court documented the WMSCOG’s failed 1988, 1999 and 2012 doomsday predictions (page 5).
- The WMSCOG sued for roughly $205,000 USD.
- The WMSCOG lost the case, appealed and the appeal was denied on June 1, 2018.
Below is the Appellate Court’s Analysis and Decision on the case.translation_ruling-2018-WMSCOG-in-Korea