Heavenly Mother since the 1800's

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

In an interesting correlation, the Egyptians worshipped the goddess Nut as the Queen of Heaven or Heavenly Mother. Gnostic Christians have a mother figure named Sophia.

"She is sometimes identified with the Holy Spirit itself but, according to her various capacities, is also the Universal Mother, the Mother of the Living or Resplendent Mother, the Power on High, She-of-the-left-hand (as opposed to Christ, understood as her husband and he of the Right Hand), as the Luxurious One, the Womb, the Virgin, the Wife of the Male, the Revealer of Perfect Mysteries, the Holy Dove of the Spirit, the Heavenly Mother, the Wandering One, or Elena (that is, Selene, the Moon). She was envisaged as the Psyche of the world and the female aspect ofLogos"

The Vedas speak of many female or mother aspects of deity, the norse eddas have lots of female gods, Greek and Roman mythology has a bunch too. The Unification Church teaches that God is a…wait for it..unified! (I didn't see it coming, felt so dumb!) being of male and female aspects. I guess it's just natural that we ascribe a female quality to god or have a female deity along with a male. That's life for us. Probably the same reason we say at Shemot 34:14 that God's name is jealous, and that he (she?) is a jealous God. 😉

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Brother, you’re jewish?

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

No ma'am. I don't even know what I'd call myself. Agnostic maybe? I think God by definition is beyond the scope of human knowledge. Though I do respect any pursuit of God, whatever your particular flavor may be. I find a lot of fulfillment spiritually from lots of different places, be it the Bible, the Rig Veda, one of the many Egyptian texts, or stories from my native American or Scotch ancestors. I don't know that any one of them are "true", but for me they all boil down to the same message. Do good, love everyone, honor your family. I can believe in that.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Which is why i think there is one true God. Every religion besides those who worship satan have the same basic belief. a friend of mine came across a satanists Bible.

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

If you're referring to the Laveyan "Satanic Bible", Renita, if my memory serves me correctly even Lavey himself admitted they didn't worship Satan in the Christian sense. It was more like a worship of the self. I always heard about "satanic cults" and stuff growing up, but you never really see anything like that on the news anywhere, ya know? I'm just not sure how big Satanism actually is. And I'd have to agree with Hal. God is God. All encompassing. 

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I know its hard separate yourself from what you believe and discuss something with general or broad view of things. The being hal calls god isn’t the same being a hindu calls god. To say god is god is to say we all worship the same god. If this is true then there are no such things as false gods or cults in mine eyes.

My friend was telling me the things she read in the satanic bible aren’t all bad. I remember somewhat agreeing with the things she told me about. Also, at that time I had stopped going to the cog. But I still felt that if you believe satan is bad, why read his bible? Which is why a lot of cog members won’t come to this site because f&m say its bad. So why read it?

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

To say god is god is to say we all worship the same god. If this is true then there are no such things as false gods or cults in mine eyes.

I don't think there is a false god, if there's only one there's only one. Cults however, in the sense that we're talking about on this website, are absolutely "false. And Hal, I like that philosophy. That God reveals godself to different people in different fashions. 

Love'n Honey
    Participant

So, god revealed herself as god in the form of zhang.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

So, god revealed herself as god in the form of zhang.

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

Crap! You've got me there I think Renita. Along my current line of reasoning, I suppose that's possible. Though the wealth of information on this website would contend otherwise. 

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

Crap! You've got me there I think Renita. Along my current line of reasoning, I suppose that's possible. Though the wealth of information on this website would contend otherwise. 

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

I have a bit of a technical question I guess then Hal. Does the Torah "out rank" the Talmud as far as how a Jew should live his or her life? Are there places they are in disagreement? Admittedly, I've never studied the Talmud, though I've read many quotations. I'm just not sure how the laws work. Also, do you think it would be ok for a goy to just go to a sinagogue to seek some answers? I'm really interested in Judaism, but I'd hate to do something un-kosher, as it were. 

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

I have a bit of a technical question I guess then Hal. Does the Torah "out rank" the Talmud as far as how a Jew should live his or her life? Are there places they are in disagreement? Admittedly, I've never studied the Talmud, though I've read many quotations. I'm just not sure how the laws work. Also, do you think it would be ok for a goy to just go to a sinagogue to seek some answers? I'm really interested in Judaism, but I'd hate to do something un-kosher, as it were. 

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I do hope y’all are able to follow me as I switch “personalities” in different posts. Sometimes I posts as a member of the cog, sometimes as a christian, sometimes as an agnostic person. Ultimately, I’m agnostic. =)

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I do hope y’all are able to follow me as I switch “personalities” in different posts. Sometimes I posts as a member of the cog, sometimes as a christian, sometimes as an agnostic person. Ultimately, I’m agnostic. =)

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

I'm on your frequency, Renita. 

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

I'm on your frequency, Renita. 

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

Thanks Hal, I've found a place locally that I'll be visiting soon. They only meet like one Saturday out of the month, I don't think the community around here is very large.

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

Thanks Hal, I've found a place locally that I'll be visiting soon. They only meet like one Saturday out of the month, I don't think the community around here is very large.

KF
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

I do hope y'all are able to follow me as I switch "personalities" in different posts. Sometimes I posts as a member of the cog, sometimes as a christian, sometimes as an agnostic person. Ultimately, I'm agnostic. =)

I can see that, but anyway never mind that, what we need here is a LIVE CHAT, you guys keep jumping from onetopic to another, I can't catch up…ya typing faster then what I can read…lol

hey admin…create a live chat, because sometimes a subject is totally changed here, once someone ask a different question that has nothing to do with the post (just like i'm doing now) it would be great to chat with everyone here at the sametime without jumping from one subject to another….just an idea! (:

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.