Celebrating the Passover

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    emil
    Participant

The WMSCOG makes a big deal out of two things; keeping the Sabbath and celebrating the Passover. For both things, I understand they teach that the catholic church abolished them in the 4th century.

I am starting this thread to discuss the issue of the issue of the Passover and about when and how it was abolished by the catholic church. I request wmscog members and former members to weigh in.

I am not clear about what the passover is as celebrated by the wmscog. What aspect of it was abolished in the 4th century.

Simon
    Participant

So far as leave none of it till morning that’s exodus 12

emil
    Participant

Hal, I have been trying to look up sources to find out how the passover was actually celebrated back in Jesus' time. What I find is the modern celebration which seems to have evolved to some extent after 70 CE. Would appreciate if you can give me the info either directly here or via PM or a link to some reliable source.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

emil wrote:

renita.payno wrote:

No other church does ALL of these things:

Baptism requirement in the 3 Names [Jehovah, Jesus, Ahnsahnghong].. Bread and wine specifically [not crackers and juice] for exactly everyone [including babies].. Only eaten/drunken once a year.. Feet washing ceremony.. Twighlight.. Blessing the bread and wine in the name Ahnsahnghong.. 2nd PO celebration for those who missed the first.. Leaving none until morning..

If a church does anything different from the above mentioned then they are not keeping the same PO.

Thank you Renita. That is most helpful.

"Blessing the bread and wine in the name Ahnsahnghong" – The moment that condition is added, it is impossible for anyone else to keep that kind of PO unless they believe in ASH.

That brings up an interesting thought. IF ASH retored the PO back in 1964 or whenever, did he also bless the bread and wine in the name of Ahnsahnghong? Perhaps FTOS can enlighten us on this.

According to what the church teaches, no one was instructed to pray in his name until after he died. So, no, Ash didn't bless the bread and wine in the name of Ash.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Simon wrote:

So far as leave none of it till morning that's exodus 12

Ex 12:10

emil
    Participant

I asked Hal this question but perhaps Simon can answer it just as well. How was the passover celebrated in Jesus' time? I know this can be kind of lengthy but even a link to a good source would be fine. I have seen many loinks that describe how it is done today with some bit of evolution since after 70 CE. But before that, nothing. I can read how it was in Exodus but believe it was not exactly the same. Exodus does not specify sacrifice in the temple as far as I know. Correct me if I am wrong.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Kings+9&version=NIV

This is after Exodus, during Solomon's reign. 3 times a year is referring to the Feasts. I think it's safe to assume that at least up until Solomon the PO was kept as described in Ex. I don't see why, before Jerusalem was destroyed in 70, it would be kept differently.

Simon
    Participant

Scripture nowhere implies sacrifices must always be in the temple and there’s an ability to build a tabernacle also

Love'n Honey
    Participant

He suffered on the outskirts, right?

emil
    Participant

Thank you Hal. I'll go through the information you have provided.

Simon
    Participant

He was crucified on the outskirts. beaten inside though

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Him being crux on the outside fulfills that burnt offering just outside the tabernacle… That's what I learned as a member.

Simon
    Participant

The command only applied to some sacrifes at best. otherwise gods own prophets led Israel astray and king David a man after gods own heart made improper sacrifeces often

emil
    Participant

It is my understanding that the original (the one in Egypt) passover sacrifice was a private affair, done in family homes. Is that right? At what point in time did it become an annual commemoration? I believe this time predates the building of the first temple by Solomon by several centuries. When did the switch occur?

Simon
    Participant

It was always annual the reason people went to Jerusalem for it was because how close it was to unleavened bread pretty much required it

emil
    Participant

Simon wrote:

It was always annual the reason people went to Jerusalem for it was because how close it was to unleavened bread pretty much required it

I think you misunderstood my question. I know it was always annual. I am asking when it started. Was it immediately following the year after fleeing from Egypt? or after they occupied the promised land? or when? Did Jerusalem exist as a place at the time?

Simon
    Participant

Read in numbers 9 they kept it the first. year out then Joshua 5 reveals they stopped and kept it again after the 40 years in the dessert

then there’s at least twice Passover was forgotten and restored hezekiah and josiah both restored it

emil
    Participant

Thank you Simon. So basically the passover commemoration (of the original freedom from slavery) had started well before they set themselves up in Jerusalem with a temple right? Hal said the sacrifice had to be performed in the temple and nowhere else. Was there a subsequent command for that? Is that part of the Torah or subsequent?

Simon
    Participant

Jews sacrificed outside the temple in absence as hal pointed out

So far as i can tell its assumptions on the pharisees part regarding losing the war.

but in scripture Samuels family Davids family and Elijah sacrifice away from the temple/tabernacle

gotta find the verses

Simon
    Participant

There was no temple when Deuteronomy was written

emil
    Participant

Simon wrote:

There was no temple when Deuteronomy was written

That's what I thought too. The temple was built by Solomon. Deut was written long long before that wasn't it?

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.