Arranged Marriages

• Creator
    Topic
    Love'n Honey
    Participant

I've witnessed 2. I know "Missionary's" marriage was a big surprise. My guess is that her's was arranged, too. She doesn't seem like the wife type. Lol. How many have you witnessed? Were you asked to be married? Do you think you would have?

Simon
    Participant

I witnessed none (if you mean the ceremony) but I think my first deacon and his wife may have been and my second deacon and his wife even more likely were since the wife was korean…

Would I have, that's a VERY difficult question I was kind of inlove with another girl at the time so it might have been difficult but "Mother wants it" might have guilted me into it anyways

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I was fairly stern about not marrying a Korean. When I spoke with my sisters about it, I asked them how does marrying a Korean help me get to heaven?? Oh right.. it doesn't. Lol. Good thing you were already involved. I saw a woman fresh from South Korea who only knew the basic greetings was married off in less than 2 weeks to a white brother. That was toward the end of my stay in San Diego (Santee) Zion. That seemed suspicious. Especially when I saw that Missionary had gotten married. That!! Really?? Lol.. I definitely laughed out loud.

MountainMom
    Participant

I heard of at least four arranged marriages.  One was in the Chicago Zion.  A guy who had just broken up with his long time girlfriend (because she wasn't going to join wmscog) was directed to a rather chunky Korean girl that "Mother" wanted him to marry.  He was married within a month to a girl who didn't even speak English!  He literally bumped into her in the hallway once at church and didn't even speak to her according to a witness.  His old girlfriend saw him once afterwards and asked if he was happy.  He said "Mother will bless us."  She took that as a no, lol! 

Simon
    Participant

never said I was involved lol

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Simon wrote:

I witnessed none (if you mean the ceremony) but I think my first deacon and his wife may have been and my second deacon and his wife even more likely were since the wife was korean…

Would I have, that's a VERY difficult question I was kind of inlove with another girl at the time so it might have been difficult but "Mother wants it" might have guilted me into it anyways

Simon wrote:

never said I was involved lol

Ok.. Now you're just phoking with me..

Simon
    Participant

I was inlove not involved yeesh

I heard of 19 yr olds being married off. 

MountainMom
    Participant

WSS, I wouldn't doubt that at all.  It is funny how they do it there, too.  A person doesn't seem able to pick their own mate even within the confines of membership.  I know of one guy who was asking about this girl or that and was being told "no, you can't date that one," then being directed to one his "handler" thought would be acceptable.  I don't know how the naive member thinks that is ok, or doesn't see that  every single aspect of his/her life is being controlled from within the church.  This is a very important decision for a person to just hand over to another man to make for you.

MM…I kinda feel bad. I think that if you get to the point where youre willing to marrying a complete stranger especially one that doesnt even speak your language that its TOO late, and theres definitly no way out now. 

I often think of the friends i left behind.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Simon wrote:

I was inlove not involved yeesh

Excuse me, but your typo lead me in the wrong direction. You were not inlove. You were in love. My mistake was understandable. In any case, you were still involved (refering to emotionally). Either way, it was a good thing you were.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

WorldSuspicionSociety wrote:

MM…I kinda feel bad. I think that if you get to the point where youre willing to marrying a complete stranger especially one that doesnt even speak your language that its TOO late, and theres definitly no way out now. 

I often think of the friends i left behind.

It is incredibly saddening. They feel guilty and possibly selfish for wanted to marry because your heart and mind ought to be on spreading the "Gospel" and finding the lost "Brothers and Sisters". I explained it this way: If your relative had gone missing, wouldn't you spend all your energy searching for him? Would dating and s/ex really be on your mind? (Golly I was foolish)

The sad part is s/exual wanting is a natural occurrence and was addressed in the bible as such. You don't supress these feelings. And the bible also says a man who finds a wife finds a good thing. It's ok to be married but we were encouraged to stay unmarried. And if we feel we must marry, you can only marry someone approved by the church and don't dare have any children. My goodness..

MountainMom
    Participant

You bring up a question in my mind, Love & Honey:  What happens if someone in the church does have a child after becoming a member?  And it is with someone who is not a member?  How is that viewed?  I read somewhere in here that children are seen as a punishment?  Is that accurate?   I sure hope not.

And World Suspicious:  Don't feel bad about the members you left behind.  Even people who went to Bible College were taken in by this group.  There probably wasn't anything you could have done.  Even their parents haven't been able to get them to see the light, so how could someone who doesn't have that depth of bonding be expected to free them?   You leaving was an example for them, and that was probably the best thing you could do.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

MountainMom wrote:

You bring up a question in my mind, Love & Honey:  What happens if someone in the church does have a child after becoming a member?  And it is with someone who is not a member?  How is that viewed?  I read somewhere in here that children are seen as a punishment?  Is that accurate?   I sure hope not.

And World Suspicious:  Don't feel bad about the members you left behind.  Even people who went to Bible College were taken in by this group.  There probably wasn't anything you could have done.  Even their parents haven't been able to get them to see the light, so how could someone who doesn't have that depth of bonding be expected to free them?   You leaving was an example for them, and that was probably the best thing you could do.

I haven't seen a member who, after joining, had a baby with someone who wasn't a member. So, I wouldn't know. Children are seen as a burden. Having a family period is a burden. They prefer you stay single.

Thanks MM ๐Ÿ™‚ Probably the best advice i recieved yet. 

Azula
    Participant

MountainMom wrote:

Children are viewed as fallen angels ie sinners who tried to kill God in heaven and are seen as lucky for having been born in the truth. Abortion is encouraged as there is nothing special or magical about kids as the belief is that they are just heavenly criminals.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

WorldSuspicionSociety wrote:

Thanks MM ๐Ÿ™‚ Probably the best advice i recieved yet. 

Consume at least 70 oz of straight water a day.

MountainMom
    Participant

You are welcome, WSS.  Some day, when circumstances permit, even those who were so controlled will understand.  They will have a lot of baggage to deal with, but they will come out of the wms in their own time.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Azula wrote:

Children are viewed as fallen angels ie sinners who tried to kill God in heaven and are seen as lucky for having been born in the truth. Abortion is encouraged as there is nothing special or magical about kids as the belief is that they are just heavenly criminals.

Correct. They play both sides of the coin. I should have mentioned that. They view children born in the truth as lucky burdens. Lol.

MountainMom
    Participant

Azula and Love, I had heard that babies were sent to earth as their punishment for plotting to murder and you have verified that for me.  They realy like to make the good times bad, don't they?  But I guess the flip side for the church is that they make the babies tithe too, so they get more money from the members.  I heard the parents have to give 10 % of everything they spend on the child each week so that the baby will receive blessings.  I wonder if that is from the time conceived or the time born?  Anyway, making a baby tithe (through the parents) is completely ridiculous, but if it works for more revenue, then I guess the wms will use it. 

Smurf
    Participant

MountainMom wrote:

They will have a lot of baggage to deal with

And this is precisely why some will never leave! I've seen it with my eyes. They would rather continue living in a lie than face the harsh reality.

Cuz it's a reality where they're not so perfect as they imagine themselves to be. And as we know pride is the main ingredient in a perfect barbeque recipe }: ]

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.