What's a cult

• Creator
    Topic
    Sarah2013
    Participant

Is a cult an Organization that believe not in Jesus? Or what….?

Smurf
    Participant

As Simon so eloquently noted, cult is anyone you don't agree with  .~

MountainMom
    Participant

Refer to the list on the topic of "Similarities with Scientology."  Pretty much defines it.    Some things are said to have some cult like characteristics, but are really not cults, such as sports teams, or the Marines, or others.  But they don't have many of the characteristics that the list has on the other topic.  The harmful cults have many, if not most of the characteristics listed.  And the demands don't have an end but require liftetime commitment.  Big differences. 

Sarah2013
    Participant

Ok

Sarah2013
    Participant

@ Smurf:That’s exactly what I’m hoping we aren’t implying.

Sarah2013
    Participant

MountainMom wrote:

Refer to the list on the topic of "Similarities with Scientology."  Pretty much defines it.    Some things are said to have some cult like characteristics, but are really not cults, such as sports teams, or the Marines, or others.  But they don't have many of the characteristics that the list has on the other topic.  The harmful cults have many, if not most of the characteristics listed.  And the demands don't have an end but require liftetime commitment.  Big differences. 

So there are harmful and non-harmful cults out there?

Sally
    Participant

Sarah2013 wrote:

MountainMom wrote:

So there are harmful and non-harmful cults out there?

Sarah, I put up a list on the other thread where you asked me to. 

I don't believe there is any such thing as a NON harmful cult. I suppose if you want to get technical or creative you could come up with something but I would just say less harmful not NON

MountainMom
    Participant

I didn't mean to imply that there are non-harmful cults.  What I was saying is that there are organizations that are not cults that can be said to have a few cult like characteristics.  Doesn't make them cults, but I have seen the comparision before.  I can identify a cult by using the list on the other thread quite easily.   The marines, sports teams, don't qualify.

Simon
    Participant

Sarah2013 wrote:

@ Smurf:That's exactly what I'm hoping we aren't implying.

It isn't what it means but it is how too many use it…. what it actually means is still very subjective though and that unfortunately makes the discussion very complicated

Simon
    Participant

That said if it is harmful what does it matter what label we put on it, and if it isn't harmful how is it truly our business

emil
    Participant

Smurf wrote:

Ah! Nice to have you back after your trip around the world as fried rice, flied lice, fly ice, that chinese man(or was it Korean?). I've lost count ๐Ÿ™‚

Sarah2013
    Participant

@ Simon: I get your point now.

Smurf
    Participant

emil wrote:

Smurf wrote:

Ah! Nice to have you back after your trip around the world as fried rice, flied lice, fly ice, that chinese man(or was it Korean?). I've lost count ๐Ÿ™‚

I just wanted to mix it up a bit, cuz if you're paying attention you'd see most members start with an "S". Further evidence that we're satan's minions by wms logic ๐Ÿ™‚

emil
    Participant

Smurf wrote:

I just wanted to mix it up a bit, cuz if you're paying attention you'd see most members start with an "S". Further evidence that we're satan's minions by wms logic ๐Ÿ™‚

You're right. I hadn't noticed that.

Sarah2013
    Participant

Smurf wrote:

emil wrote:

Smurf wrote:

I don't get the "S" thing.

unknown
    Participant

The definition of cult is rather vague and many different organizations/groups can be considered cults, but generally the term cult has religious connotations. In my own opinion, a cult is a religious group that causes harm to its members and takes advantage of them in one way or another. In the case of the WMSCOG, I would consider it a cult because it drastically alters the way in which its members think and causes them to conform using the power of suggestion. The church also takes advantage of its members monetarily and by requiring large amounts of their time for activities that a solely beneficial to the interests of the church.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.