The Passover Vs. The Lord's Supper

• Creator
    Topic
    Elievalkyrie
    Participant

I don't know if everyone knows about this already but for the sake of those who don't know and want clarifications, I'll explain here.

What is the Passover? Super basic question being encountered with the wmscogs. If you don't know anything about it and wmscog asks "are you celebrating the Passover?" Then you would answer No. If they would say, then you are not following God's command, you will not enter Heaven. IF you have little biblical understanding, then you would listen to their explainations and think "Oh my gosh! I am going to hell!"

Now, your thoughts would also depend on what you do believe about the Bible. Do you believe in the Old testament? or the New testament? Or Both? 

For the purpose of not getting confused over the Passover and the Lord's Supper, we'll pretend that everyone that reads here believes in Both testaments. 

In the Old Testament, when God (thru Moses) led the Israelites out of the land of slavery, one of His ordinances was the Passover. The people were told to take a 1 year old lamb without defect and take its blood and spread it on the side and on the top of the door. Then the people were to eat the roasted lamb, every bit of it, leaving nothing behind. God said that they do this yearly to commemorate the time when He save them from slavery. This was one of His covenants / contracts to the Israelites.

In the New Testament, Jesus told the disciples to prepare the Passover meal. DURING the Passover, he made a NEW covenant. He took the bread and wine and shared it with them and told them "Do this in remembrance of me". That's why the sharing of bread and wine is called the Lord's Supper. The bread symbolizes his body, which will be nailed on the cross and the wine symbolizes his blood which will be shed for many for the forgiveness of sins.

The Passover and the Lord's Supper were totally different covenants. The Passover is in REMEMBRANCE OF GOD SAVING THEM FROM EGYPT and the Lord's Supper is in REMEMBRANCE OF THE SACRIFICE OF JESUS TO SAVE THE WHOLE WORLD FROM SIN. 

We were the ones that were supposed to die because of our sins, but Jesus died for us so we don't have to. In other words, he became a Passover Lamb, a sacrifice so that our sins will be forgiven. When he made that ULTIMATE sacrifice, the Passover was made obsolete. You can find in Hebrews more explanations on this. But the point here is because his SACRIFICE was so complete, so ultimate, that we don't have to kill any animal to  sacrifice again. We could not equal the importance of the Son of God's blood to the blood of a animal. 

So the Passover is obsolete. The Lord's Supper is NOT the PASSOVER. By definition, the word NEW means it is something that has never been made before. It is different from the word RENEWED. But what word was used in the Bible? IT'S A NEW COVENANT, not a RENEWED one.

So if you are asked by wmscog members, "Then why do you not celebrate the Passover?" You can tell them, "I celebrate the Lord's Supper" (if you really do)

Or you can say "You don't celebrate it either, I don't see you spreading blood of lambs on the side and top of your doors."

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

I am sorry that you have to experience that King. They have taken something precious (The word of God) and use it for their own gain. I firmly believe that the people that established the wmscog have no pure intention at all. They used the bible and the faith of the followers to gain wordly things, just as what other religious cults do. I will tell you now that as a Christian who have studied the bible, you can never go to heaven following those laws and regulations because the bible clearly testifies that man cannot save himself. If he could, there is no point in sending Jesus is there? I just hope that what you experienced with wmscog didn't ruin your belief in God or in the bible itself.

Simon
    Participant

Elievalkyrie wrote:

So your saying Jesus said that he "renewed" the covenant? Not that He made a NEW covenant? Can you tell me why different English translation bibles (http://bible.cc/matthew/26-28.htm) did not use the word RENEW in reference to the covenant in the Last Supper?

The same reason it says the New Jerusalem in Revelation instead of the renewed Jerusalem and why is says New Covenant in Jeremiah 31 instead of Renewed Covenant

Simon
    Participant

king34 wrote:

I agree with you there eli.The wms dont know their own doctrine it contradicts it self all the time. or at least they make it seem like that.When you first come in they tell you that all you need is the sabbath. Then you must come on the 3 day services..then you must tithe..then you must believe in father and mother..then you must attend all the feast…then you must help around the church..and you can do all these things but if you dont have those 10 talents your not going to heaven. They say that they dont follow the old testament but yet they follow all the rules from those times. So in a way I was always feeling that I was not good enough for god. I was never going to be a good fruit because all of these laws and regulations.

They say its about baby steps idk

Simon
    Participant

genny wrote:

Simon wrote:

according to wmscog because it was fulfilled in one day the new covenant feast is one day.

but wms brother the old covenant has two annual Sunday moedim not one.

And what makes them think this feast changed from 7 days to only 1?

Though still the verse says in this case, after the days of unleavened bread.  Meaning they sailed after the 7 days.

Ahnsahnghong wrote (or is translated to have wrote) that the Old Covenant commemorates the seven days wandering from Egypt to the red sea where as the New Covenant the 12 hours on the cross. So the Shaddow=7 days and the fulfillment=1 day

So far as Days people call 1/14 Part of Unleavened Bread sometimes so 1/14-1/15 is days  idk

king34
    Participant

well eli to tell you the truth being in this church made my faith stronger in god and I learned alot of scriptures because I used to study it day and night. but im not really sure if I believe in the bible completly now as I did when I was there. because there are so many different translation and people trying to twist the word of god, that it has left me in a limbo. I dont even know what to believe any more, but one thing I do know and that is that facts are facts. and there is no mother god

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Simon wrote:

Elievalkyrie wrote:

So your saying Jesus said that he "renewed" the covenant? Not that He made a NEW covenant? Can you tell me why different English translation bibles (http://bible.cc/matthew/26-28.htm) did not use the word RENEW in reference to the covenant in the Last Supper?

The same reason it says the New Jerusalem in Revelation instead of the renewed Jerusalem and why is says New Covenant in Jeremiah 31 instead of Renewed Covenant

Are you saying that the word New and Renew can be used interchangeably?

king34
    Participant

you see this is what I mean is you can interchange it.It changes the meaning of the whole book

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

king34 wrote:

well eli to tell you the truth being in this church made my faith stronger in god and I learned alot of scriptures because I used to study it day and night. but im not really sure if I believe in the bible completly now as I did when I was there. because there are so many different translation and people trying to twist the word of god, that it has left me in a limbo. I dont even know what to believe any more, but one thing I do know and that is that facts are facts. and there is no mother god

lol. That we do know. I would like to inquire, if you don't mind, in which religion do you belong to now? Did you go back to your previous religion after having left wmscog?

king34
    Participant

What religion? lol dude I am stained. I am supriced that I even believe in god after what happened to me. I was telling my friend that he was in the church with me and he left to when I left that I am spiritually raped. A lot opf people have taken me to their churches and when I sit down with them and ask them what is their doctrine I just run out lol .

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

LOL! That is okay, it is pretty scary to be, as you say, "spiritually" raped. I guess that is the best word for it. lol. But I'm glad that you could still laugh about it at least. lol. So you have no religion right now but believe in God? So you are a deist now. ^__^

king34
    Participant

yea I believe in god. I just have adopted some teaching from the wms and some of my old beliefs. I will go on this path until god shows me the way or a find a church that shows me through scriptures other wise

Simon
    Participant

king34 wrote:

yea I believe in god. I just have adopted some teaching from the wms and some of my old beliefs. I will go on this path until god shows me the way or a find a church that shows me through scriptures other wise

That's about where I am too king Old Beliefs WMS beliefs and seeking and finding my own beliefs

Joshua
    Participant

I know it's hard guys but at least you are seeking real truth. It took a lot of strength and courage to come to the place you are in right now. Good on you guys.

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

I remember when I found the truth about them… I requested another religion to baptize me coz I was kinda thinking that I can remove wmscog's tarnished baptism through it.Kinda same the way rape victims took a shower after the deed.lol. But the religion I went to explained to me that it is clearly stated in the bible that if you didn't believe during your baptism, it still is invalid since Baptism is supposed to be a profession of your faith. So that means the baptism wmscog performed to me was null and void. So after 2 mos. of learning Reformation doctrine, I finally went through with their baptism, voluntarily this time.

Anyway, Simon I think you have not answered my question, can you use the word NEW and RENEW interchangeably? Coz knowing proper English, I disagree with that but ofcourse I know nothing with Greek words but I don't think the English translator made a mistake of putting the wrong word. I've read the Greek word they used for the NT covenant was Kainos (New), not Anakainos (Renew).

Simon
    Participant

people do interchange in English right or wrong.

I’ve read many articles about the Greek meaning renew and I know the Hebrew prophecy says renew which means the fulfillment is renewing

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

I could understand that part but not when it's renew / new covenant. If it is interchangeable then it should have been stated in the bible. The bible is inspired afterall and should not cause confusion. Pertaining to the covenant, it must be one or the other, saying that it can be both cannot be since it would greatly change the story. Also the point of view of the writer should be taken into consideration. Did he mean renew or new?

Simon
    Participant

It is in the Bible the prophecy says God will renew the covenant not make a new one so the fulfillment must be renewing the covenant.

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Can you give the verse for that?

Viewing 18 replies - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.