The Monkey Experiment and the WMSCOG.

• Creator
    Topic
    Joshua
    Participant

I am reposting this mostly for the benefit of the members that are still trapped in the cult.

This was posted up at my work. It's relevant so I am sharing it with all of you. Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, all of the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result, and all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon the monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs he will be attacked.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth.

Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he's attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey. After replacing all of the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.

Why do members of the WMSCOG continue to do things the way they do even after learning of some of the major problems with their doctrine? Because that's just the way it's done and to raise too many questions is to bring judgment down. The truth is available to them but when they reach for it they are beaten down by the group 

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Personally, I think the one who did this experiment to the monkeys (if it is indeed true) is disgusting! And doing it to people would make it even more repulsive. The problem with this is that the "cold water" (in the experiment) used by wmscog is covered with false loving and caring facade. It makes me sick to think of it.

jellybean
    Participant

This is very interesting. Thank you for bringing that analogy to explain the whole cycle. I actually am aware of what you mean but didnt find a way to explain it. Only when you been for a while there you can understand the behavior of the rest of the monkeys.

Emily
    Participant

I love this analogy Joshua.  It's so spot on!

Emily
    Participant

Here is a well known experiment about social influence and power done by Professor Zimbardo @ Stanford University.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZwfNs1pqG0

Joshua
    Participant

Ah yes, the prison experiment that had to be shut down. If you haven't watched this you should. There is also another experiment where people were sat down in a control booth with a series of buttons that gave electric shocks. Each button was more intense than the previous one. The person pressing the buttons was to ask a unknown person who was supposedly hooked up to electrodes in another room (unseen) questions. When the person got the question wrong the questioner pressed a button starting with the least voltage and working upto a leathal voltage. (electrocution of the person in the other room.) Better than 2/3rds of the people who sat down at the control pannel actually went through all of the buttons. If I can remember the name of the experiment I'll post it for you. BTW the person who was unseen was an actor and not really receiving shocks just acting like they were in peril and or even dead.

Emily
    Participant

I think you are referring to the Milgram experiment Joshua.  Here's the YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcvSNg0HZwk

Emily
    Participant

The Asch experiement reminds me of the bible study sessions at the WMS.  They always make sure that there is at least one other person in the room to co-sign everything being taught.  Watch and you will see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRh5qy09nNw

Joshua
    Participant

I suggested this post to someone so I just wanted to bring it forward so people could find it.

Questioninginla
    Participant

Emily wrote:

The Asch experiement reminds me of the bible study sessions at the WMS.  They always make sure that there is at least one other person in the room to co-sign everything being taught.  

From Stanley Milgram:  "subjects deny conformity and embrace obedience as the explanation of their actions.  Let me clarify this.  In Asch's experiments on group pressure, subjects typically understate the degree to which their actions were influenced by members of the group.  They belittle when they have yielded to the group on every trial.  They often insist that if they made errors in judgement, these were nontheless their own errors, attributable to their faulty vision or bad judgement.  They minimize the degree to which they have conformed to the group."

Ever heard someone say "I make my own decisions here"?

Joshua
    Participant

Bringing this back to help some current poster start thinking about why they act the way they act.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.