Other members getting the "boot"

• Creator
    Topic
    Questioninginla
    Participant

Question to former members:

When you were in, and a member was given the official boot, or ostracized, did you:

Feel good about it, in the sense that you really were among the "chosen"?

Comments, please ๐Ÿ™‚

Questioninginla
    Participant

Thanks, everyone for your input!

Us vs Them is pretty strong.  It sounds like experiences were "scare" and "fear" moreso than any other emotion.

I've researched some groups in which the "Us" is stressed more.  In other words, people were left with a feeling that (excommunications) were "proof" of the (remaining) members' great commitment/exclusivity/being of the "chosen".

Questioninginla
    Participant

Thanks, everyone for your input!

Us vs Them is pretty strong.  It sounds like experiences were "scare" and "fear" moreso than any other emotion.

I've researched some groups in which the "Us" is stressed more.  In other words, people were left with a feeling that (excommunications) were "proof" of the (remaining) members' great commitment/exclusivity/being of the "chosen".

Sarah2013
    Participant

Questioningla, I never saw any of that happen, save, they spoke of ex-members as having fallen away with the implication that they never belonged. Their city of refuge story. The whole thing looking back, sorry to say, felt like I was involved in a cult.

serg
    Participant

They would refrence this – "My sheep listen to my voice". Saying that the ones who fell away, fell because originaly they were not God's sheep to begin with. Regardless of their high postion or member status. They do everything they can to keep members in…

anderson
    Participant

serg wrote:

They would refrence this – "My sheep listen to my voice". Saying that the ones who fell away, fell because originaly they were not God's sheep to begin with. Regardless of their high postion or member status. They do everything they can to keep members in…

Yes, is quite scary.

A ex-collegue of mine was with finantial problems, then he dropped college and started to frequent the church more often, a year later he is married to some korean girl, he lives in the church, I bet he knows everything about the wmscog doctrine (minus the stuff we know, ofc), if he snaps and choice to leave it, I wonder how he will get out of there.

donttrustzang
    Participant

When Ron and Dianne were ex comunicated, the members felt a tighter bond. I felt if someone like ron "fell away" but im still here, it shows how much God loved me….  I remember bad talking them to other members aswell… Calling them traitors ect.. It also made me feel extra paranoid that the world was coming to an end and i should study harder. 

When members see me around I know exactly how they must feel/think of me. It sucks, but i cant blame them..

Love'n Honey
    Participant

serg wrote:

And what do they say about people like me? I've heard members say that others fell away because they were never God's children to begin with. But what about me? I fell away and went back.. Do they then recant their previous statement? Or are they just entertaining me waiting for me to fall away "again" so they can say, "See.. told you."

Simon
    Participant

They will say you never really fell away you just were lost I would think thats how one sister described when she did that

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Simon wrote:

They will say you never really fell away you just were lost I would think thats how one sister described when she did that

So.. I was lost then found then lost again then found again.. So what am I now? Lost or fallen away? How do you know which one is proper?

Simon
    Participant

you're saved from their nonsense that's the proper one ๐Ÿ™‚

Questioninginla
    Participant

DTZ makes a good point.

I would like to caution against a euphoric feeling that things are ready to crumble.  Be realistic.  All groups lose members.  It sounds like the majority of ex-members here feel that "outside"=bad > greater than "inside"= good when it comes to internalizing, as a member at the time, said excommunications. 

DTZ, your answer is consistent with other groups in that some members have a mystical moment that the excommunications are "meant to be" and "I'm so fortunate to be one of the chosen".

These forces are very powerful and most likely not to be underestimated.

donttrustzang
    Participant

Questioninginla wrote:

DTZ makes a good point.

I would like to caution against a euphoric feeling that things are ready to crumble.  Be realistic.  All groups lose members.  It sounds like the majority of ex-members here feel that "outside"=bad > greater than "inside"= good when it comes to internalizing, as a member at the time, said excommunications. 

DTZ, your answer is consistent with other groups in that some members have a mystical moment that the excommunications are "meant to be" and "I'm so fortunate to be one of the chosen".

These forces are very powerful and most likely not to be underestimated.

Agreed. I think that force is what is keeping the remaining members so closed minded. They really are walking on eggshells believing the world is gonna end and they might not go to heaven.

Disturbed
    Participant

I didn’t fully realize until recently how much I thought the world was going to end any day. One friend said I bordered on hysteria trying to explain he needed to get the seal or he was going to die unsaved. I’m proud to be an ex member and I could care less what any current member says about me “falling away”. They need to wake up and smell the coffee…if someone can leave after being in 12 years there must be a valid reason. I wish I had that thought sooner than I did…but whatever. All that matters is the here & now. I am present and living life to the absolute fullest with all my free time!

emil
    Participant

good for you

Sarah2013
    Participant

Disturbed wrote:

I didn't fully realize until recently how much I thought the world was going to end any day. One friend said I bordered on hysteria trying to explain he needed to get the seal or he was going to die unsaved. I'm proud to be an ex member and I could care less what any current member says about me "falling away". They need to wake up and smell the coffee…if someone can leave after being in 12 years there must be a valid reason. I wish I had that thought sooner than I did…but whatever. All that matters is the here & now. I am present and living life to the absolute fullest with all my free time!

Certainly good for you. 

Viewing 15 replies - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.