Family Outreach Day?

• Creator
    Topic
    MountainMom
    Participant

I have heard that this Sunday (today) is some kind of family or community outreach day in Seattle.  I am assuming it is being done elsewhere as well.  As a family member of someone in the wmscog, should a person go to this thing or ignore it? 

I know it is all propaganda and their attempt to control even the "family time" environment, but what is the implication of refusing a loved one's request to attend?  Should a person go and then give their unbiased opinion (with tact) or refuse to go?    Just wondering what people's thoughts were on this.

I know that the wmscog is doing a lot of damage control because they are rightfully seen as causing all kind of family problems and separations.  That, of course, is my opinion of why they are doing all of this.  But what is the best way to respond?

Sueno Maruyama
    Participant

Hi I have the same problem here wondering whether I should go today or not… My daughter is begging to come but I really don’t. If I go I may make a scene.

Sueno Maruyama
    Participant

I have talked a couple of other families, they decided to go. I’m still wondering.

MountainMom
    Participant

Hi Sueno,

If you do go, I advise you not to make a scene.  I know it is hard, but if you prepare yourself to react calmly, it helps to cope with this.  I know of a parent who was asked to watch one of their promotional videos about Hurricane Sandy.  I had seen this video as well, and it was hard to stomach when you know what they are about.  But, anyway, this parent watched it politely, and when his loved one eagerly asked what he thought about it, he tactfully said, "It's very nice.  But one thing concerns me:  It seems like they are more concerned about telling everyone about what they are doing instead of just doing it.  It seems more like a kind of commercial for the church than a glory to God."  His loved one did not appreciate this, but they didn't get into a fight. 

I know of some people who have watched their videos, and even without much information on the wmscog said that it was obvious it was propaganda.  They didn't tell the member showing the video that, they were tactful, but they did say that other churches do the same, they just don't make videos. 

If you do go, maybe you can make connections with the other parents or families that have loved ones in the church and don't really want them there.  Anyone who goes may run the risk of being shown in one of their promo videos.  Unless they are like one parent I know who saw he was being filmed and flipped them off!  Hahahahahaha!  I think they had to edit him out!  Anyway, I guess people have to decide for themselves if they can put up with the wmscog for a day.  I probably will not ever go back, even at my loved ones request.

daluca matthew
    Participant

the way the work is thru branches, they see people above them bring people in and those peopel come in faithfully, go out faithfully, they eagerly want that, whent hey bring you in, they see as a apart of there branch if u do not do as the people they look up to also does they will feel embarassed n and rely on the people who makes them feel comfortable (WHICH IS THE PEOPLE IN THE CHURCH) your goal is to change them from relying on the church back to relying on you, YOU must do anything in your power to do so

daluca matthew
    Participant

im not a 100% percent sure if in there head they want to be relied on as much as other branch leaders are relied on by there members , cause hey honestly they mgiht wanna feel wanted and to them true love is what they see in that church, you can test it if u want, GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT TILL THEY'RE TIRED OF IT.

Proverbs25:16 "If you find honey,, eat just enough, too mcuh of it and you will vomit. God is the answer, there false preachings wont beat the Actual preaching

veronica
    Participant

I got invited to this family day in seattle also.  I didn't attend.  I am happy to know that I am not alone in my struggle with this cult.  I wish that somehow we could band together and help eachother out with getting our family members out of this place.

Sueno Maruyama
    Participant

I did go after all. It was so phony I wanted to leave ASAP. They greeted families and friends with candy leis (I refused to wear it) and my daughter led me to sit with her. I wanted to talk to other families, but my daughter never net me do so. Every church member was sitting right next to their family members and followed everywhere, even to the bathroom! I could only managed to talk to one family whose son is in the group and they were not happy. This was definitely a damage control or PR. They never mentioned anything about Heavenly Bi…nor Ahn. They only showed how much they are donating throughout the world (like blood donation and water in some African country

veronica
    Participant

I wonder how many families are affected?  If they need to do some damage control or PR there must be more of us out there.  I suspect that they are not bringing in new members like they had hoped.  This whole thing is sureal. 

Smurf
    Participant

A house build on lies cannot stand. And the WMS-house is about to collapse.

The members know this full well, that's why they are so desperate.

You reap what you sow, Kim Joo-Cheol, you reap what you sow.

Ms Freedom
    Participant

Sueno Maruyama wrote:

I did go after all. It was so phony I wanted to leave ASAP. They greeted families and friends with candy leis (I refused to wear it) and my daughter led me to sit with her. I wanted to talk to other families, but my daughter never net me do so. Every church member was sitting right next to their family members and followed everywhere, even to the bathroom! I could only managed to talk to one family whose son is in the group and they were not happy. This was definitely a damage control or PR. They never mentioned anything about Heavenly Bi…nor Ahn. They only showed how much they are donating throughout the world (like blood donation and water in some African country

It's interesting that they invited the family members to "their" gathering but they discourage their members from attending any gatherings with the family away from the cult. It's control at its finest! Even in their best attempt to try to show they aren't a cult, their behavior of control matches what all the cult experts (Lifton, Singer, Hassan) list as cult behavior.

MountainMom
    Participant

@Veronica
    :  We definitely have them outnumbered.  If there are 20 concerned family members for every member the wmscog recruits, then we obviously have the numbers in our favor.  And in many cases, there are more than 20 concerned people, since the recruits also have friends, girl/boy friends, etc.  The problem is coordination of efforts.  There are some people out there really doing some good work on exposure.  It's just a difficult thing to get everyone informed and together.  This site is the closest thing we have to a coordinated effort to communicate. 

@Sueno:  The way you were herded around, followed, and controlled at the church is very typical of their methods.  They even followed me to the bathroom and talked very loudly to me while I was in a stall!  And if my son had to leave me or my husband for any amount of time, someone else came over immediately.  It's not out of friendliness, it's out of paranoia.  They have to control every movement and communication while you are there.  I figured they wouldn't let you talk to anyone else while at the church program.  Control freakazoids!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.