Rev 3:12 and Matthew 28:19

• Creator
    Topic
    Moved-Comment
    Participant

[This thread moved from What is the New Name in Revelation? to this forum thread by admin on 08/09/11]

[Originally posted by nick on August 2, 2011 4:45 PM]

[Portion removed by admin for violating forum rule #1 and #2]

You guys also didn’t address Rev 3:12?

And how bout Matthew 28:19 where Jesus says “go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the NAME of the Father (Jehovah) and of the Son ( Jesus) and of the Holy Spirit (Ahnsahnghong)? What’s the name of the Holy Spirit to you guys?

genny
    Participant

The "name" (Greek "onoma") in Matthew 28:19 means "a name, authority, character, or cause."

When Jesus said to baptize in the "name" of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit… can't that be baptizing by the "authority" of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?

It's like when an ambassador or an explorer or a general says, "I come in the name of the King of England," or "I claim this land in the name of the King," or "In the name of the King, I command you to surrender."

Does it really matter which particular King's name?  No, it's by the authority of the office of the King.  There's something of the same kind of sense in Matthew 28:19 too.

But beyond that, we should note that the "in" (from "in the name of") is actually "into, in, unto, to, upon, towards, for, among." (You can see it better in the Amplified Bible.  It's in Gal. 3:27 too.)

Here's what Barnes Notes on the New Testament says,

"To be baptized unto anyone is publicly to receive and adopt him as a religious teacher or lawgiver; to receive his system of religion.  Thus the Jews were baptized "unto Moses" 1 Corinthians 10:2.  That is, they received the system that he taught; they acknowledged him as their lawgiver and teacher.  So Paul asks, (1 Corinthians 1:13) 'Were ye baptized in the name of Paul?' –i.e. Were you devoted to Paul by this rite?  Did you bind yourselves to him, and give yourselves away to him, or to God?  So to be baptized in the name of the Father, etc., means publicly, by a significant rite, to receive the system of religion to bing the soul to obey his laws; to be devoted to him; to receive, as the guide and comforter of the life, his system of religion; to obey his laws, and trust to his promises.  To be baptized unto the Son, in like manner, is to receive him as the Messiah–our Prophet, Priest, and King; to submit to his laws, and to receive him as the Saviour of the soul.  To be baptized unto the Holy Ghost is to receive him publicly as the Sanctifier, Comforter, and Guide of the sould.  The meaning, then may be thus expressed: Baptizing them unto the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, by a solemn profession of the only true religion, and by a solemn devotion to the service of the sacred Trinity."

And one more thing… Names expressed character.  "Jehovah" is about God's being the great "I am."  "Jesus" is "The LORD saves."  If the Holy Spirit has a personal name like "Bob," God didn't share it with us in the Bible, but we do have many names (titles) that express the Holy Spirit's character.  My favorite is "Comforter" and "Counselor."

WHOAMI
    Participant

Moved-Comment wrote:

[This thread moved from What is the New Name in Revelation? to this forum thread by admin on 08/09/11]

And how bout Matthew 28:19 where Jesus says “go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the NAME of the Father (Jehovah) and of the Son ( Jesus) and of the Holy Spirit (Ahnsahnghong)? What’s the name of the Holy Spirit to you guys?

so 2,000 years ago when Jesus said go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the father, son and holy spirit, I ask you WHO'S NAME DID THEY BAPTISED IN IF THE NAME AHNSANGHONG WAS NOT THERE AT THAT TIME PERIOD.

Emily
    Participant

WHOAMI wrote:

Moved-Comment wrote:

so 2,000 years ago when Jesus said go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the father, son and holy spirit, I ask you WHO'S NAME DID THEY BAPTISED IN IF THE NAME AHNSANGHONG WAS NOT THERE AT THAT TIME PERIOD.

WHOAMI, that is a really good point!!!  Obviously the wms's interpretation of that verse is largely flawed…not surprised since their interpretations of a lot of other verses are flawed as well.

Simon
    Participant

They point to I believe acts 2:38 and say that was for until the, name was revealed

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.