Elohim

• Creator
    Topic
    Moved-Comment
    Participant

[Originally posted by Adam on August 1, 2011 6:35 PM on Elohim – One God or Two? and moved by admin to Forum]

Elohim is pluralis excellente. This form is even used for kings in ancient times. The reason is, women could not speak out back then, so the king would always speak on behalf of the queen saying we. Also Gen1:26 “And Elohim said, let US make man in OUR image, in OUR likeness..” and Gen11:7 God says, “Let US go down”. Also, Moses is referred to as ELOHIM to the PHAROAH. Who are the Spirit and the Bride in rev22:17?

Participant

"how could the occurrence of Eloha (the singular form of Elohim) be justified?"

Simple, two people can speak in plural, or a single one can speak in singular. Just because I'm standing next to my wife doesn't mean that we are always speaking simultaneously, we can take turns.

But a single person cannot speak in plural it is grammatically retarded even in the context of Hal's own interpretation. Now you have Simon's "pluralis excellente" versus Hal's "no it isn't pluralis excellente it also means angels literally!"

The other "pluralis excellente" evidence verses involve people talking about armies which are a literal plural group of people, and adress a singular king concerning what the army (plural people) will do. "Shall I go to war with so and so?" actually means "Shall I and my armies go to war?" because, in reality the kings did not actually act alone, they acted in plural with people. Or they are speaking for themselves in addition to their servants who are with them (many of the times you think someone is alone and all by themself, the bible actually testifies they are traveling with or serving a group of people).

"Form Criticism" has been debunked and rebuilt in many forms since the 1860's numerous times by every scholar that got their hands on it. Even they are still confused about many things and you people are no smarter than them.

We do not teach that Elohim stands for the trinity plural, Male and Female is a dual plural not triple.

But HEY HAL, here is where your logic falls down:

"Having thus shown that the word Elohim bears various interpretations, it is perfectly out of question to refer it in the first verse of Genesis"

This means that you actually have no clue who or what is speaking and your just taking guesses, maybe its angels? Maybe its one God? Lets read from a scholar maybe its what he says:

"Using form criticism to reconstruct the social background to the Old Testament, [Morton] Smith advanced the proposal that two parties had vied for supremacy in ancient Israel, the first composed of those which worshipped many gods of which Yahweh was chief, while the other, the "Yahweh-alone" faction, was largely the party of the priests of Jerusalem, who wished to establish a monopoly for Yahweh."

Maybe Elohim refers to the "many Gods of which Yahweh was chief"?

The point is there are so many different interpretations you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about, Hal, there are scholars who are smarter than you in this matter and still they all disagree.

But we see clearly that Male and Female are images of God. We are not liars to claim this. In addition to it being the truth: other sources have set the precedent that this could be an accurate reading of Genesis.

But please, argue more about controversial issues as if your assumptions are correct, let everyone see how many scholars you ignore to reach your conclusions. You pretend you are right, but even scholars admit "we do not understand, there is room for interpretation".

Yet we have seen the reality of Elohim with our eyes and not assumptions, so we do say we are right.

emil
    Participant

I agree with Hal. In particular, the second half of the second paragraph.

Sarah2013
    Participant

Hal wrote:

Actually one only needs to use SCIENCE to debunk your 2 deity mommy and daddy myth. The term Elohim DOES NOT refer to any physical body nor any physical being. Yet the human body is made up of both male and female organs. So therefore the term our would mean one (yeah I know its hard to read Hebrew and understand) but thats ok, thats why Iam here…

Both men and women have estorgen and testosterone, nipples and overted sex organs. The female while a more reciptical being still has a mini penis called the clitoris and the testes are inverted and become ovaries. Language is the only defining difference for gender. TO say G-d has a gender is insane. G-d chose to speak through a male persona and there is nothing of a "mommy" deity or any other female deity.. That is idolatry.

Nice one Hal, though a bit too visual. 

Viewing 3 replies - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.