About Melchizedek

• Creator
    Topic
    Freedfromreseda
    Participant

Melchizedek the Priest

7 This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him, 2 and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, the name Melchizedek means “king of righteousness”; then also, “king of Salem” means “king of peace.” 3 Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.

So this is one of the verses from About Melchizedek. Allegedly Ahn fits the criteria for these three items:

1) Without father or mother

2) without genealogy

3) without beginning of days or end of life

Sarah2013
    Participant

Please explain the "without father or mother" and "without beginning of days or end of life" cause I so don't get it as it would pertain to him.

Freedfromreseda
    Participant

Notice I said “allegedly”. LOL. Their explanation is that is must have a biblical interpretation. But how can he be without beginning of days or end of life? Every year the church celebrates his birth date and his death date.

Sarah2013
    Participant

Freedfromreseda wrote:

Notice I said "allegedly". LOL. Their explanation is that is must have a biblical interpretation. But how can he be without beginning of days or end of life? Every year the church celebrates his birth date and his death date.

Contradiction!

Simon
    Participant

Jesus already fit ALL three

emil
    Participant

Simon is totally correct. You don't have to go very far for proof. Dont just stop reading Hebrews 7 after reading till verse 3. The chpter goes on to explain exactly how Jesus fulfilled this prophecy. No guesses, no secret scrolls, no illogical interpretations required. All clear and simple.

1. Ahn had parents. They were apparently buddhist when he was born. But "without father and mother" is a big sin against the commandment to honour one's father and mother.

2. By their interpretation, every one of us qualifies. We actually all have a genealogy as the meaning of the word implies. But Hebrews is talking about genealogy is not of the Levitical priesthood.

3. Factually incorrect.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Freedfromreseda wrote:

Notice I said "allegedly". LOL. Their explanation is that is must have a biblical interpretation. But how can he be without beginning of days or end of life? Every year the church celebrates his birth date and his death date.

I don't accept this argument because a lot of Christians celebrate Jesus birth and death.

Without beginning of days or end of life can only describe God because God is forever. It has nothing to do with His human form.

Freedfromreseda
    Participant

To celebrate the death of Jesus has a very different meaning than celebrating the death of Ahn. We know Jesus died for our sins and for our salvation…what about Ahn?

Sarah2013
    Participant

Freedfromreseda wrote:

To celebrate the death of Jesus has a very different meaning than celebrating the death of Ahn. We know Jesus died for our sins and for our salvation…what about Ahn?

Of course this makes more sense to me.

Smurf
    Participant

Freedfromreseda wrote:

Ahn died because… eeeeer to fulfil eeeeer prophecy..

You don't understand the love of Mother!!

emil
    Participant

Guys please take the trouble to read the whole of Hebrews 7 as I mentioned earlier. It explains in detail how Jesus already fulfilled this prophecy. It is not about something that is expected to happen in future.

Sarah2013
    Participant

Smurf wrote:

Freedfromreseda wrote:

Ahn died because… eeeeer to fulfil eeeeer prophecy..

You don't understand the love of Mother!!

There is no prphecy awarded that man to fulfill. Jesus has done his bit and it is finished. When the book of Revelation unfolds(which slowly is) we'll remember John's account of what he saw and not Ahang's account. In due time the truth shall prevail and that's the beauty of life. 

Smurf
    Participant

emil wrote:

Guys please take the trouble to read the whole of Hebrews 7 as I mentioned earlier. It explains in detail how Jesus already fulfilled this prophecy. It is not about something that is expected to happen in future.

Here's the explanation of the WMS and to be fair it kinda makes sense:

Heb 7:1-4 『This Melchizedek . . . Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever.』

1) "Without father or mother"—The Bible acknowledges only those who believe in God as the father or the mother of a man (Matt. 12: 50). Thus, the words, "(Melchizedek is) without father or mother," mean that the spiritual Melchizedek was to be born among unbelievers. As you know, however, Jesus was born of believers: Joseph and Mary.

2) "Without genealogy"—In the Bible, "genealogy" refers to the twelve tribes of Israel. The words, "(Melchizedek is) without genealogy," mean that the spiritual Melchizedek would be born among the Gentiles; however, Jesus was born of the tribe of Judah (Matt. 1:1).

emil
    Participant

Smurf wrote:

Here's the explanation of the WMS and to be fair it kinda makes sense:

Heb 7:1-4 『This Melchizedek . . . Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever.』

1) "Without father or mother"—The Bible acknowledges only those who believe in God as the father or the mother of a man (Matt. 12: 50). Thus, the words, "(Melchizedek is) without father or mother," mean that the spiritual Melchizedek was to be born among unbelievers. As you know, however, Jesus was born of believers: Joseph and Mary.

2) "Without genealogy"—In the Bible, "genealogy" refers to the twelve tribes of Israel. The words, "(Melchizedek is) without genealogy," mean that the spiritual Melchizedek would be born among the Gentiles; however, Jesus was born of the tribe of Judah (Matt. 1:1).

I told you please read the entire chapter. Don't stop where the wmscog stops.

If you read Hebrews 7 in its entirety you will understand that the author refers to the fact that Jesus was not of the tribe of Levi as without genealogy. He means that only the priest of the tribe of Levi were allowed to do the priestly duty but Jesus, whose genealogy did not permit him, still did it. There is no need for wmscog or anyone else to tell us what Hebrews 7:1-3 means because the author goes on to explain it as I have done above.

The teaching you have posted also does injustice to the position of Melchizedek when he is contrasted poorly with a spiritual Melchizedek. The same chapter goes on to explain that Abraham gave tithes to Melchizedek even though he was not a Levite. In fact, Levites were still of Abraham's seed and hadn't come into existence. So in effect, Abrraham, who had Levi within him, gave tithes to melchizedek, clearly indicating Melchizedek was spiritually well above Abraham.

Melchizedek was a shadow of the reality of Jesus. Once again I plead; do not stop reading at verse 3.

emil
    Participant

^ Hal I don't know what exactly you are talking about. All I can see about a tithe in the scripture you have provided is in verse 22. In that verse Jacob is promising a tithe to God.

genny
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

Freedfromreseda wrote:

I don't accept this argument because a lot of Christians celebrate Jesus birth and death.

Without beginning of days or end of life can only describe God because God is forever. It has nothing to do with His human form.

Don't forget Jesus rose from the dead.  Ahn is still in the grave.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

genny wrote:

renita.payno wrote:

Don't forget Jesus rose from the dead.  Ahn is still in the grave.

Prove it

genny
    Participant

Prove that Ahn is still in his grave or that Jesus rose from the dead. 🙂

Sarah2013
    Participant

🙂

Sarah2013
    Participant

Well… His disciples and a few others saw him after he rose. They saw him ascend. There is no body in his tomb (my sister has been there). By faith we accept the teachings of the bible based on eye witness account. It is impossible to please God without faith. If we need to prove Jesus, once again, we have all been wasting our time and talking out of sense. Ahang, Zhang, Sarah, William, Kate and everyone else, all came after Jesus claiming they are this and that with confusing accounts.

genny
    Participant

The Case for Christ (www.amazon.com/The-Case-Christ-Journalists-Investigation/dp/0310209307) gives a good summary of evidence for the Resurrection.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.