Jesus' Legacy

• Creator
    Topic
    justasitis
    Participant

Surely, no matter what one's beliefs, religion, interpretation of the scriptures, Jesus' overriding message and reason for his life and death, is to show us that there is and we may have, eternal life; and to tell us that the way to live our lives on this earth and end our suffering is to love God (to me that means all that did exist, all that does exist and all that will ever exist) and to love one another (accept, have compassion/understanding for, forgive …etc.). None of us is perfect (whatever that means) and given the same circumstances, I can only think that we would each be very likely to behave in the same ways as others of whom we are most critical. There but for the Grace of God go I! Then if we can truly do that; love God and our neighbours, then we will obey all commandments. No need for any ceremonies, feasts, rituals, adhering to ancient or (relatively) modern religious laws/rules. We must love one another in all that we do and say. How else can we exist and be content and at peace?

MountainMom
    Participant

Amen.  My thoughts as well.

Sarah2013
    Participant

I agree we should love one another, no doubt. Having said that, it is that same love we are trying to execute by helping those who are being deceived. If deception didn’t exist, God would not have told us to be careful so that no one deceives us. The bible says judge not that you are not judged ( paraphrased). However, is that scripture really saying we are to completely refrain from judging? I doubt that. There is something called a good judge of character and traits. When inconsistency exist in something, we need to assess the situation and judge it for accuracy. If not so, then a lot of innocent people on trial may be found guilty when in fact if judged accurately they would be found innocent.

Yes, you are right in saying nobody is perfect, I can’t disagree one bit on that. We still need to be cautious in life especially if reason(s) for suspicion arises. No?

Liberty
    Participant

Sarah2013 wrote:

I agree we should love one another, no doubt. Having said that, it is that same love we are trying to execute by helping those who are being deceived. If deception didn't exist, God would not have told us to be careful so that no one deceives us. The bible says judge not that you are not judged ( paraphrased). However, is that scripture really saying we are to completely refrain from judging? I doubt that. There is something called a good judge of character and traits. When inconsistency exist in something, we need to assess the situation and judge it for accuracy. If not so, then a lot of innocent people on trial may be found guilty when in fact if judged accurately they would be found innocent.

Yes, you are right in saying nobody is perfect, I can't disagree one bit on that. We still need to be cautious in life especially if reason(s) for suspicion arises. No?

You are so full of wisdom Sarah. I agree 100% with everything you just said. Very well-stated.

Sarah2013
    Participant

Thank you, Liberty. I try to do my best though sometimes I may be off. I guess that’s part of my imperfections. Believe me, my family say I’m the black sheep. That’s not necessary a complement I say to them. ๐Ÿ™‚ my mom often says, are you sure you are my daughter. ๐Ÿ™‚

justasitis
    Participant

Judgement in terms of merely observing and commenting on behaviour etc. cannot be avoided. The kind of judgement I think we should all avoid is of the type that then goes on to say that the behaviour is good or bad, should or should not have happened, is positive or negative in any way. None of us can see the whole picture or know God's plan. What may seem terrible to-day can so very easily turn out to be very helpful and constructive 'after the event'. Without taking away from the pain and suffering we have each experienced, how many times have each of us learned so much from what seemed to be awful events in our lives? Or how many times have we taken the soft/easy option, only to learn nothing. I'm not saying that the only way to learn is through pain and so deliberately bring on as much pain as possible and therefore learn as much as possible; we really don't have to do it that way; yet sometimes we are so really very stupid and lazy, that that is the only way. My preference would be for us to learn our lessons without the pain and suffering. 

Liberty
    Participant

justasitis wrote:

The kind of judgement I think we should all avoid is of the type that then goes on to say that the behaviour is good or bad, should or should not have happened, is positive or negative in any way. None of us can see the whole picture or know God's plan.

I definitely disagree with the above portion. There is without a doubt behaviors that are bad.

I think we should be a people who don't tolerate BS or any type of evil. Some things are just plain BS and just plain evil, and there is no other way to sugarcoat or throw a positive spin on the situation.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.