Church of God and the Day of Atonement.

• Creator
    Topic
    Simon
    Participant

The Church of God likes to point to verses in the New Testament that refer to the disciples keeping the feasts, either explicitly or implicitly, as proof of the Church of God's accuracy in deciding to keep the "feasts of God".

In Leviticus 23:27 God commands that regulations for the Day of Atonement include Fasting, The Church of God does NOT fast for the Day of Atonement claiming to follow the so called, "New Covenant regulations" for the feasts.

Let us for the sake of argument presume every reference to the feasts is actually proof that they kept them and of how they kept them as Church of God argues.

Acts 27:9 Much time had been lost, and sailing had already become dangerous because by now it was after the Fast. So Paul warned them, 

That verse refers to the Day of Atonement as "The Fast" if it is known as the fast surely they must fast on that day correct?

Some may want to argue that the Church of God Fasts from Midnight to 3 (technically 4) on The Feast of Unleavened Bread so they may want to say that is what they are referring to in this verse. But looking more in depth we can be sure this is not what Luke is speaking of when he wrote this.

Acts 27:12  Since the harbor was unsuitable to winter in, the majority decided that we should sail on, hoping to reach Phoenix and winter there. This was a harbor in Crete, facing both southwest and northwest.

"unsuitable to winter there" and "winter there"  if they were seeking a place to winter surely this is around the time of year just after the Day of Atonement in the Autumn rather than the Feast of Unleavened Bread in the Spring.

So we can see IF these verses are proof they kept the feasts surely they are also proof the early church fasted on the Day of Atonement as regulated by God.

We have two choices

• Believe the Early Church kept the Holy Days and fasted on the Day of Atonement making the Church of God regulation incorrect

OR

•Believe the Early Church did NOT keep the Holy Days AGAIN making the Church of God regulation incorrect.

Leviticus 23:26-32 The Lord said to Moses,  “The tenth day of this seventh month is the Day of Atonement. Hold a sacred assembly and deny yourselves,and present an offering made to the Lord by fire.  Do no work on that day, because it is the Day of Atonement, when atonement is made for you before the Lord your God. Anyone who does not deny himself on that day must be cut off from his people.  I will destroy from among his people anyone who does any work on that day.  You shall do no work at all. This is to be a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live. It is a sabbath of rest for you, and you must deny yourselves. From the evening of the ninth day of the month until the following evening you are to observe your sabbath.”

Acts 27:9-12Much time had been lost, and sailing had already become dangerous because by now it was after the Fast. So Paul warned them, “Men, I can see that our voyage is going to be disastrous and bring great loss to ship and cargo, and to our own lives also.” But the centurion, instead of listening to what Paul said, followed the advice of the pilot and of the owner of the ship. Since the harbor was unsuitable to winter in, the majority decided that we should sail on, hoping to reach Phoenix and winter there. This was a harbor in Crete, facing both southwest and northwest.

Simon
    Participant

Yes I know they say that, but if it were true then the scriptures wouldn't call Yom Kippur the fast in the NT

Simon
    Participant

Well yeah… lol

Elievalkyrie
    Participant

Hal wrote:

I wonder, since Zhang is the female version of G-d and I will to bring her a burnt offering on Yom Kippurum, would I be able to atone for my sins? or would I have to get the high preist to send her off into the desert as my azezel?

LOL! This question just purely and completely cracked me up!

Simon
    Participant

Now that we have some active members of WMSCOG I thought maybe one might be able to answer this

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I miss Hal…. The only time we fasted was the day after PO to commemorate Jesus's suffering on the cross.

Disturbed
    Participant

Awesome topic! As members we took so much for granted & followed blindly. I always wondered why “mother” took so long to get the feast calendar generated but the Hebrew calendar is online for past and future years. I remember questioning why our PO date was different from the Jewish date. I was told the Jews calculated it wrong because they didn’t know about the “missing” day (Bible is Fact), also because of sun rise/sunset theory and because “god” calculated our correctly.

I almost feel angry all over again because my worship was in vain….following rules of man (ASH & Zhang)!

Simon
    Participant

Well one can argue they calculate it wrong because the majority of Jews use a pharisee precalculation rather than the observational calendar ordaned by God but even going by the observational calendar as used by Jews who don't follow pharisee additions to the law WMSCOG holds it differently.

Simon
    Participant

but that's another topic altogether

Love'n Honey
    Participant

I found my Feast Calendar! I'll see if I can scan it and post it on FB. I don't remember where the question was about the PO and such but I'll post it here.

2011 The Feasts of the New Cov't

The Age of the Father

Passover – 17 Apr [Sun] @ 7pm. Meaning: Having redemtion through Jesus' blood. Sacred Calendar: 1/14 Remarks: Feet-washing ceremony at 6pm on the Passover. Fasting from midnight on the PO to 3pm on the Feast of UL.

2nd PO – 16 May [Mon] @ 7pm Sacred Calendar: 2/14

Feast of UL [Passion Day] 18 Apr @ 5am, 9am, 3pm. Remembering Jesus' sufferring on the cross by fasting. Sacred Calendar: 1/15

The Age of the Son

Day of 1st Fruits [Ressurrection Day] – 24 Apr [Sun] @ 5am, 9am, 3pm. Commemorating Jesus' ressurrection. Sacred Calendar: 1/21 Remarks: Early morning service at 5am from the day after Ascension Day to the Day os Pentecost. Evening service at 8pm from Ascension Day to the day before the Day of Pentecost.

Feast of Weeks: 1) Ascension Day – 2 Jun [Thurs] @ 9am, 3pm, 8pm. Commemorating Jesus' ascension and the descent of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost. Sacred Calendar: 3/1

2) Day of Pentecost – 12 Jun [Sun] @ 5am, 9am, 3pm. Sacred Calendar: 3/11

The Age of the Holy Spirit

Fast of Trumpets – 27 Sep [Tues] @ 10am, 2:30pm, 7:30pm. Preparing for the Day of Atonement by praying. Sacred Calendar: 7/1 Remarks: Early morning service at 5am from the day after the Feast of Trumpets to the Day of Atonement. Evening service at 7:30pm from the Feast of Trumpets to the day before the Day of Atonement. Early morning service at 5am from the day after the Feast of Tabernacles to the Last Day of the Feast. Evening service at 7:30pm from the Feast of Tabernacles to the day before the Last and Greatest Day.

Day of Atonement [Contrite Prayer] – 6 Oct [Tues] @ 5am, 10am, 2:30pm. Consecrating the sanctuary. Sacred Calendar: 7/15

Feast of Tabernacles 1) Preacing Week – 11 Oct [Tues] @10am, 2:30pm, 7:30pm. Preaching Week in preparation for the coming of Jesus. Sacred Calendar: 7/15

2) The Last Day of the Feast – 18 Oct [Tues] @5am, 10am, 2:30pm. Receiving the water of life on the Last Day of the Feast. Sacred Calendar: 7/22

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.