Words of Encouragement

• Creator
    Topic
    Rahab
    Participant

Just as the “mood” of forum discussions tend to get heavy and we need a little humor, so to the “mood” can get a bit frustrating and have a sense of discord. So this thread is for encouragement. A place to offer comfort and edify those who visit here.

I am a wife and mother and my world came crashing down when my husband became involved with the WMSCOG while deployed overseas. He has come away from the group almost a year now, but we are still unequally yolked because of some wms teachings which are still ingrained within him. And he refuses to study in either direction so it feels like we are in limbo. I wait silently for The Lord to work in us.

Psalm 73: 21-26 When my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart, I was stupid and ignorant; I was like a brute beast towards You. Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold my right hand. You guide me with Your counsel, and afterward You will receive me with honor. Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is nothing on earth that I desire other than you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Psalm 62: 1-2. For God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes my salvation. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall never be shaken.

Psalm 25: 4-5 make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all day long.

Rahab
    Participant

Be still my soul, The Lord is on thy side

Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain

Leave to thy God to order and provide

In every change He faithful will remain

Be still my soul, thy best, thy Heavenly Friend

Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end

Be still my soul, thy God doth undertake

To guide the future as He has the past

Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake

All now mysterious will be bright at last

Delight yourself in The Lord

Yes, and find your joy in Him

Be known for your gentleness

And never forget the nearness of our God

And don’t worry-whatever is going to come

Just tell God every detail

And the peace of God that no one understands will come to you

No, don’t worry

Just tell Him every detail and His peace will come to you

genny
    Participant

The Psalms help me when I need encouragement, and songs.

"I know who goes before me,

I know who stands behind,

The God of angel armies

is always by my side."

Chris Tomlin, Whom Shall I Fear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOkImV2cJDg

"Yes I will rise,

Out of these ashes rise

From this trouble I've found

And this rubble on the ground

I will rise"

Shawn McDonald, Rise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ti1BikZrA

Rahab
    Participant

Colossians 3:12-17 (in honor of Valentine’s Day) As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as The Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Jesus Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do every thing in the name of The Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Rahab
    Participant

1 Corinthians 13:4-13. Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end. For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only on part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

Rahab
    Participant

The Lord bless you and keep you;

The Lord make His face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you;

The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.  (Numbers 6:24-26

Rahab
    Participant

For those who are putting on the full armor of God…

Psalm 141

I call upon you, O Lord; come quickly to me; give me ear to my voice when I call to you. Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.

Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not turn my heart to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with those who work iniquity; do not let me eat of their delicacies.

Let the righteous strike me; let the faithful correct me. Never let the oil of the wicked anoint my head, for my prayer is continually against their wicked deeds. When they are given over to those who shall condemn them, then they shall learn that my words were pleasant. Like a rock that one breaks apart and shatters on the land, so shall their bones be strewn at the mouth of Sheol.

But my eyes are turned toward you, O God, my Lord; in you I seek refuge; do not leave me defenseless. Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me, and from the snares of evildoers. Let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I alone escape.

Rahab
    Participant

Proverbs 1:7

The fear of The Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Rahab
    Participant

This is one of my favorites. The Lord put this in the forefront of my heart when my husband was a member of the WMSCOG.

1 Corinthians 10: 12-13

So if you think that you are standing, watch out that you do not fall. No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it.

Rahab
    Participant

FYI – the History Channel is airing a 10 part series on the Bible starting this Sunday, March 3. Looks interesting…..

genny
    Participant

thanks, Rahab.  Those are good verses. 

Wish I got the History Channel.  Maybe that program will come to Netflix.

MountainMom
    Participant

I am also looking forward to this series.  Sounds like it will be good.

Joshua
    Participant

If anyone knows where to purchase this series I would be very interested. The commercials look amazing for this. I hope they have stuck as close to the Bible as possible. It would be sad to find out that this series in not as factual as it could be.

Simon
    Participant

Liberty
    Participant

Unfortunately, I haven't found any Bible series to be completely factual as of yet.

I think they alter certain facts to make the stories more "acceptable" to the public in this era. I'll provide an example. It is believed tht Mary was about 13 years old when she gave birth to Jesus. Then why in all these films about the nativity, do they cast a 40-year-old woman to play Mary? Why not actually cast a young girl in the part?

I mean if you going to do a series based on a Bible event, then why not at least get the ages correct?

Simon
    Participant

I've heard 13/14 its hard to be sure but definitely a child by today's standards (though not then)

Simon
    Participant

Oh and I think the reason among many is casting you don't need to cast two marys just one (but that's a guess)

Rahab
    Participant

There was movie made a few years ago called The Nativity.  They cast a younger actor for Mary, but I don't think she passes for 13/14.  Perhaps 17 or 18.

Simon
    Participant

there are other reasons who wants a 13 year old talking about virginity/sex etc on screen very scandelous (even though we know they aren't nearly as innocent at that age then or now)

Liberty
    Participant

It doesn't really matter what people want. I thought it was about keeping it factual. If you want to accurately display a story then things such as background, custume, scenary, location, age, personality, physical appearance, furnishings, decor, etc should be as close to the truth as possible.

If Mary was indeed 13/14 years old, then the actress cast in that role should be of that age.

Either you show history accurately, or you run away from the truth because you are too concerned about how others may percieve it.

I want to see a director/producer brave enough to show things as they actually were. I would also like to think that most people of today's society are intelligent enough to realize that there have been a lot of cultural and societal changes in the past 2,000, and that things that may be considered inappropriate now were perfectly fine back then.

Simon
    Participant

of course but unfortunately no one has the chutzpah

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.