WMSCOG NJ Donating Money To Political Campaigns

MountainMom
    Participant

I do not believe it is legal for churches with tax exempt status to contribute to political campaigns.  I thought that was one of the requirements for tax exempt status, in fact.  Am I wrong?

Simon
    Participant

Churches do not generally need the same qualifications as other nonprofits. but I do believe there is a level of restriction on it

Simon
    Participant

but I know a lot of non religious people complain about how much churches donate to campaigns and lobby etc.

MountainMom
    Participant

See, I have never heard of anyone complaining about churches donating to campaigns and lobbyists.  I thouoght that was probably because the churches couldn't promote political affiliations.  I was sure I read that somewhere.  Examples of churches lobbying or donating, anyone?

Sarah2013
    Participant

People are concerned because it's their money that is being used to make all these donations. What do I care if a man chooses to make a donation, save it were indirectly connected to me. So when people make a big deal about these churches doing so, they are well within their rights to question it.  

Simon
    Participant

I just know a lot of non religious complain saying it happens and that religions seem to get a free ride exemption… whether it is true I cannot say.

Simon
    Participant

and no Sarah most of the people who question it are not the ones giving the money, until today I have never seen a theist question a church's role in politics but I have seen a majority of the atheists I know do so

Simon
    Participant

but yes we SHOULD question WMSCOG donating

MountainMom
    Participant

I hope I was clear on what I was saying.  I don't think churches  can legally contribute to political campaigns or lobbyists and keep their tax exempt status.  I think it is illegal, but if I am wrong, somoneone correct me.  No one has yet.  No examples of it anywhere that I have ever heard of.  As I say, I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Simon
    Participant

the fact it may be illegal doesn't keep it from happening

Emily
    Participant

Here is what the IRS says about 501(c)(3) organizations donating money to political campaigns.

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Charitable-Organizations/Exemption-Requirements-Section-501(c)(3)-Organizations

But was the WMS a 501(c)(3) in 2004?  The Ridgewood location didn't file until 2008 I believe.  They may or may not have been operating under the California or Illinois tax ID # back then.  Anyone that was a member back then (before 2008) have a tithe receipt from NJ to reference?

Simon
    Participant

As this website itself says churches don't even need to file for 501c3 it is automatic for religious orgs  (technically churches and other assemblies)

Sarah2013
    Participant

Simon wrote:

and no Sarah most of the people who question it are not the ones giving the money, until today I have never seen a theist question a church's role in politics but I have seen a majority of the atheists I know do so

Uhmm not me, dear. I gave and I gave. 

Simon
    Participant

or more specifically they are automatically exempt from taxes with the same restrictions in place etc. 

Simon
    Participant

Sarah2013 wrote:

Simon wrote:

what not you?

Emily
    Participant

Simon wrote:

As this website itself says churches don't even need to file for 501c3 it is automatic for religious orgs 

Correct, but are donations tax deductible for the contributors to churches that have not filed for tax exempt status?  Churches are automatically tax exempt, but are they required to file a 1023 in order for the donors to be able to get the tax deduction at the end of the year?

Sarah2013
    Participant

Simon wrote:

Sarah2013 wrote:

Simon wrote:

what not you?

You said most of the people questioning it are not the ones giving the money. I'm one of the ones who have given the money was my point. 

Simon
    Participant

yes you did give money but you were talking about the right of people who gave money to question in reply to a comment about people who didn't give the money….

Though it seems there may be a loop hole to the not being able to contribute rule 

Sarah2013
    Participant

Ok. I get you and misunderstood. Sorry. 

Simon
    Participant

Emily wrote:

Simon wrote:

As this website itself says churches don't even need to file for 501c3 it is automatic for religious orgs 

Correct, but are donations tax deductible for the contributors to churches that have not filed for tax exempt status?  Churches are automatically tax exempt, but are they required to file a 1023 in order for the donors to be able to get the tax deduction at the end of the year?

all church donations are tax deductable whether they file for 501c3 or not

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.