Wedding Banquet

• Creator
    Topic
    farkry
    Participant

Hello all, I have some questions and maybe an answer regarding the parable of the wedding banquet.

In sermon book 2 chapter 4, the first verse they use is Matthew 22:1-10. This part of the Scripture has till v. 14 so I wonder why they stopped at v. 10.

The written explanation after showing the verse writes:

What makes a wedding banquet possible? There should be a bridegroom, a bride and invited people who are guests for the wedding. However, in the parable, the son who is a bridegroom (yes this is true) and guests appear, but there is no bride (really? adding words?). Why did the bride not appear at Jesus’ first coming? It was because the bride appears at the end of God’s 6000-year redemption work. (???)

Let’s see verses 11 – 14.

11. “But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes.

12. ‘Friend,’ he asked, ‘how did you get in here without wedding clothes?’ The man was speechless.

13. “Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

14. “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”

So here are the questions:

Who are the ones to who wear wedding clothes in a wedding banquet? Isn’t it the bride and bridegroom?

In a humanly wedding, we always see the bride wearing a wedding gown and the bridegroom would wear a lavish suit, decorated with pocket square, a flower, bowtie, etc to denote that he is not the same as anyone else in the room. I believe these are called wedding clothes, isn’t it? And the guests would either wear casual or formal or smart casual (why would the guests want to wear even more lavish than the bridegroom?).

So in verse 11, the king came in to see the guests then there’s a man who didn’t wear wedding clothes and he was thrown outside. So doesn’t this tells us that those guests wearing wedding clothes are the one to be with the bridegroom who is Jesus (Son) Himself? And wouldn’t then the bride in Revelation 22:17 refer to the guests with wedding clothes?

Furthermore in a humanly wedding banquet, the guests who are invited can come or not as they wish. It has nothing to do with being chosen?

And also, verses 1-14 doesn’t speak anything about a bride. So why is WMSCOG adding words to the Bible? I guess the foundation of it is based on copy and shadow (Hebrews 8:5) once again? Jumping to conclusion that if the sanctuary is a copy and shadow, then everything else is a copy and shadow..

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.