Tuesday Service Controversy

• Creator
    Topic
    donttrustzang
    Participant

Numbers 19:11-12-11 “Whoever touches a human corpse will be unclean for seven days. 12 They must purify themselves with the water on the third day and on the seventh day; then they will be clean. But if they do not purify themselves on the third and seventh days, they will not be clean….

They use this verse to show that we need to go to services on tuesday and saturday (3rd and 7th day) to recieve the "water of life" to be cleansed… But, if you think about it a little bit, it doesnt make any sense… For instance, if I touch a dead body (those in the world/spiritual dead(according to wmscog)  on tuesday, the seventh day from tuesday becomes TUESDAY!!! and the 3rd day would become friday.. So therefore our services would have to change inorder to suit our needs. The bible didnt say 3rd day and 7th day of the week, but instead its saying 3rd and 7th day FROM the time you touched a dead body. Does that make sense to anyone else?

genny
    Participant

Yes, definitely.

By the same logic you could say that Jesus being raised on the 3rd day means that the Resurrection was on Tuesday, but of course it wasn't.

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

I don't think you can really tell wether it says "of the week" or "from the time" from that text. Perhaps the original language would provide some insight?

Simon
    Participant

I looked at the Hebrew and I am definitely rusty and of course Biblical Hebrew is diferent and all sorts of things BUT it looks like it is relative because the word used for third day is not the one people generally use to describe Tuesday (seeing as the Hebrew Days are Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 and Sabbath)

The question is does that apply the same when you are referring to them in this way and did Biblical Hebrew stick to it as much that I'd need to do more looking into soo this is just a thought

Simon
    Participant

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0017_0_16546.html

Also concurs (while I don't always side with modern Rabbinical Judaism I see no reason to disagree with them)

The ashes of the red heifer were combined with spring water (Heb. mayim ḥayyim) in a vessel (Num. 19:17) to produce a mixture called "water of lustration" (Heb. me niddah). The mixture was applied by dipping into it and sprinkling (19:18) on the third and seventh days after defilement (19:19). This defilement was acquired by touching a corpse, a grave, or a human bone, or by being under the same roof with any of these. That the priest, the gatherer of the ashes, the sprinkler (19:21), and the one who touched the water of lustration (19:22) became unclean until evening has been explained both as uncleanness attached to the handling of sacred objects and as contamination by association. The second explanation means that the red heifer caused uncleanness because of its association with death. The first explanation finds its analogy in the defiling of the hands by sacred scrolls (Yad. 3–4), while the latter has no analogue. In addition, the red heifer has not yet come into contact with the dead during the time of its preparation. Furthermore, the assumption that the red heifer defiles because of its association with human death ignores the distinction between the seven days of uncleanness consequent on contact with the dead (Num. 19:14) and the shorter period noted for the priest, the gatherer of the ashes, the lustrator, and the one who touched the water of lustration according to the law of the red heifer.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.