Tithing According to Joo Cheol Kim

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Emily
    Participant

When I was a member I always felt that there was a lot of emphasis on tithing and offerings.  But what does the WMSCOG literature actually say about tithing and it's importance?  I was reading "My Sheep Listen To My Voice" by WMSCOG general pastor Joo Cheol Kim, and I came across a few quotes that I would like to share with everyone.  Here they are (emphasis mine):

• "He [God] only wants us to be saved.  God has given us the law of tithe so that we may always put our hope in heaven."  My Sheep Listen To My Voice p. 291

So money = hope???  Too bad for all of those poor people huh?  I guess they are just outta luck and don't have any "hope in heaven".

• "Tithe is a minimum rent to be paid to God in this world."  My Sheep Listen To My Voice p. 297

Where does it say that in the Bible???

• "God has commanded us to offer a tenth of all that we earn, so that we may serve only God and not belong to the devil who has power over this world."  My Sheep Listen To My Voice p. 299

So if you don't tithe you belong to the devil???

• "Tithing is an important law through which those who turn away from God can return to Him."  My Sheep Listen To My Voice p. 305

So you can pay your way back to God if you leave the church???  Where is that in the Bible???

Sueno Maruyama
    Participant

I LOVE the rent thing … oh is that funny …. we have to pay Rent to God??????   RENT??????  what a laugh!!!!!!1

Joshua
    Participant

Going off of this whole RENT idea, doesn't this group preach that we are in prison here? We were supposedly angels who sinned against God (tried to kill him and failed) and have been inprisoned here on Earth to try to do enough to earn our way back into Heaven? Who in their right mind would pay rent to be in prison? When we are forgiven shouldn't our prison term be over? Does that mean that we can stop paying rent? Wait, we should not be in prison anymore if we are forgiven so we should go straight to Heaven once we are forgiven. Hang on, that would mean that everyone that's alive today in the WMS is unforgiven. I think this logic is flawed somewhere! Time for everyone to read the word of God and not some groups flawed translation of it.

Emily
    Participant

Joshua wrote:

Going off of this whole RENT idea, doesn't this group preach that we are in prison here? We were supposedly angels who sinned against God (tried to kill him and failed) and have been inprisoned here on Earth to try to do enough to earn our way back into Heaven? Who in their right mind would pay rent to be in prison? When we are forgiven shouldn't our prison term be over? Does that mean that we can stop paying rent? Wait, we should not be in prison anymore if we are forgiven so we should go straight to Heaven once we are forgiven. Hang on, that would mean that everyone that's alive today in the WMS is unforgiven. I think this logic is flawed somewhere! Time for everyone to read the word of God and not some groups flawed translation of it.

Well I will say that it made me feel like I had some debt to pay…a debt that would never be paid off until the world ends I might add.  

Rexona
    Participant

To us the tithe was explained so our heart can be on heavenly things. Because we care for physical world, so if we invest to spiritual world we can love god more by tithing. However then they say that we shouldn't care for physical world and money (value, investment) in physical world is useless.

Well they did show some verses on how tithing gives a lot of blessing. However I think the biggest reason for me to tithe was to be accepted by the group. So maybe they pressured that if I didn't tithe it would be bad?

Emily
    Participant

Rexona wrote:

To us the tithe was explained so our heart can be on heavenly things. Because we care for physical world, so if we invest to spiritual world we can love god more by tithing. However then they say that we shouldn't care for physical world and money (value, investment) in physical world is useless.

Well they did show some verses on how tithing gives a lot of blessing. However I think the biggest reason for me to tithe was to be accepted by the group. So maybe they pressured that if I didn't tithe it would be bad?

Interesting that you mention that.  How much do you know about the pastor at the wms you went to?  How much do yo know about how he really lives?  Look into it.  

The physical world vs. spiritual world.  Just another form of black and white thinking.  A way to compartmentalize your life.  I think that the only ones who benefit from that way of thinking are the people running the show.  Just the way it looked to me.

Shugyo
    Participant

my oh my…if I saw how much money I've spent in WMSCOG, I would have a heart attack…haha

Rahab
    Participant

Luckily my loved one understood just exactly how tight our budget is and did not tithe the full amount required. He does have several books, but I am not sure how much was spent in total.

Emily
    Participant

Rahab wrote:

Luckily my loved one understood just exactly how tight our budget is and did not tithe the full amount required. He does have several books, but I am not sure how much was spent in total.

Lucky you.  My loved one started lying to me just to be able to give the wms more money.

Simon
    Participant

Shugyo wrote:

my oh my…if I saw how much money I've spent in WMSCOG, I would have a heart attack…haha

I know I gave way goo much it is quite upsetting and living alone made it easy to do so without realizing it.

Joshua
    Participant

That must have been an offering unless your friend made $50,000 that month.

Simon
    Participant

She either tithed incorrectly, or made bank that month or possibly misspoke.

Either way thats about 5,000 more than she should give 🙁

Joshua
    Participant

Maybe she sold her house or something big. $50,000 wouldn’t be that much from the sale of a house.

Joshua
    Participant

Another thought, the WMS claims to have 1.5 to 2 million members and although I believe the real number of members is much smaller the idea that there are members who do pay such large sums is disheartening. If one tenth of one percent paid $5,000 in any given month there would be about 2,000 people paying this amount. $5,000 x 2,000 people = $10,000,000. I think this falls back under where does the money go? I could do a lot of good for a lot of people for several years from just one month like this. My charity would run and grow just from the return on investment of these kind of funds. Show me what the WMS is doing.

Simon
    Participant

Considering how much money is being spent on the buildings themselves and making them nicer, and then money spent on the various websites, and law suits, and promo videoes. Publishing books CDs DVDs magazines.

I think it is perfectly believable.

Hewhoiswithme
    Participant

What does the bible say about tithing?

Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

So clearly tithing is meant to be from the heart.

Luke 11:42 "But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

So tithe is important, but if you give in vain it means nothing. 

1 Corinthians 16:2  "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God has prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come."

So, give what you can.

And my personal favorite verse:

2 Corinthians 9:2 "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver."

So pretty much it would be better for you not to give if you didn't want to rather than giving because you feel the need to.  

So in closing, tithing and any other type of giving is meant to show you what God expects out of you.  He wants us to want to do these things in His name with a cheerful heart.  Giving is meant for you because it is better to give than to recive and I think we all know that.

Emily
    Participant

So that would mean that tithing is optional.  I agree with that.

But Joo Cheol Kim compares tithing to rent.  Now who has the "option" to pay their rent?  No one, unless you want to get kicked out and live on the street.  Rent is not optional, and instead is a requirement.

So Joo's comparison of tithing to rent is accurate in describing how tithing is viewed in the WMSCOG since tithing is a condition of membership.  If you don't believe me, check out the bylaws they submitted with their tax exempt application to the IRS for the Illinois location.

Or, even better, if you are indeed a member, stop tithing and see what happens.

Simon
    Participant

Well Abraham tithed 10% of everything and they refer to that

genny
    Participant

Just read this article about tithing and thought I'd pass it on:

http://www.healingandvision.org/tithingtest.pdf

Simon
    Participant

It would help if they cited what they say lol

genny
    Participant

Yes, I was hoping for a few more scripture references.  I'll have to look those up myself.

By the way, I do believe in tithing and giving to the church, but not that it is a requirement to go to heaven.

And this article makes it sound like the way churches tithe today (including the wmscog) is more of a tradition than a Biblical command.  (And we know how much the wmscog hates following man's traditions, right?)

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.