The Wms exposed on the Today Show!

• Creator
    Topic
    MountainMom
    Participant

There was a segment on the Today Show exposing the Wms and how they tear families apart. If you missed it you can go to their website and watch it, I believe.  It was posted on Facebook as well. 

No wonder they have a big PR campaign going at this time to counter this claim.  Like Momsix said, they are trying to change some things.  Well I see that as exactly what it is, an attempt to establish plausible deniability.  They actually let some of their members go home for Christmas this year.  My son hasn't been home for Christmas for SEVEN years!

Mayor and Mike
    Participant

Games of Thrones is completely out of the question. Lol. We must think of F+M only!

MountainMom
    Participant

AbbaFather07 wrote:

You know what is so ironic. My brother in law (husbands brother) is a Deacon in AZ. Went through a divorce married a young Korean woman (arranged marriage) needs a sponser for immigration visa..I don't have the correct terminology…anyways he is struggling financially bc of divorce and now new marriage. He asked my husband for money. My husband gives it to him without asking me bc he knows I will say no!! I find it terrible that they get paid next to nothing and get put all these unrealistic expectations. Oh yeah its all in the name of God. Its such a mind f! Anyways fast forward and my mother in law needs money and my brother in law told her have you tried God?! Im like oh yeah like you did. Not! U asked my husband for it.

Finances are a real problem in marriages in the Wms, it is obvious.  What you have described happens all the time.  The member spouse makes very bad financial decisions and gives money to the church in large amounts, and always disregarding the non member spouse's opinion on it.  (or even member spouse if that spouse disagrees that the unreasonable amount be given).  Everyone knows that finances can be a bone of contention in a marriage, but the Wms puts a special and unusual amount of pressure on a marriage.  In my opinion this is one of the major reasons marriages break up in that "church."  The other is the amount of time the member spends at church and away from family.  

Done
    Participant

You guys should see Rebecca's response to that segment. She's obviously protecting the cult. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2aToJ5Uikk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPJf_iQf2ls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMWCE11nHDk

Square1
    Participant

The fact that Rebecca referred to everyone outside the church as 'pathetic' is not very loving or setting the good example they keep boasting about. 

Square1
    Participant

The WMSCOG will always argue that they never 'forbade' anyone to use the internet, never 'divided' families apart, never 'deprived' members of sleep, etc. This is hard to fight because its half true. Yes, they never verbally say to someone 'you MUST stay until odd hours of the night' or 'you CANNOT see your family' however, the way they teach the studies IMPLY all of that. They sit members down for a study and ask them questions throughout, so that they never actually have to verbally make any rules. This allows people like Rebecca to get away with stories like this. Their studies teach that people who don't have 'eyes to see and ears to hear' will try to bring them 'back to satan' and the people studying this will become afraid to spend time with their friends and families as a result. So, no, it is not the church directly telling them to avoid their loved ones, but they are still responsible for brainwashing members into thinking their way and getting the results they want. Fear and guilt, people. Fear and guilt. 

MountainMom
    Participant

Square1 wrote:

The WMSCOG will always argue that they never 'forbade' anyone to use the internet, never 'divided' families apart, never 'deprived' members of sleep, etc. This is hard to fight because its half true. Yes, they never verbally say to someone 'you MUST stay until odd hours of the night' or 'you CANNOT see your family' however, the way they teach the studies IMPLY all of that. They sit members down for a study and ask them questions throughout, so that they never actually have to verbally make any rules. This allows people like Rebecca to get away with stories like this. Their studies teach that people who don't have 'eyes to see and ears to hear' will try to bring them 'back to satan' and the people studying this will become afraid to spend time with their friends and families as a result. So, no, it is not the church directly telling them to avoid their loved ones, but they are still responsible for brainwashing members into thinking their way and getting the results they want. Fear and guilt, people. Fear and guilt. 

Exactly, Square 1.  Fear, guilt, and I might add, undue influence.  When someone has a position that people assign respect to, such as "Pastor", people tend to listen to that person.  Most were taught to listen to people of authority or rank from the time they were little.  When that person, such as a "Pastor" does not have the  good character that their position implies,they still often listen because they don't know any better, and then they can be exploited.  The Wms knows this.  This is why they put such a huge emphasis on "titles" and "awards."  If you looked at their 2014 calendar, they list about 6 people who talked at their "Come and Go" Institute in Korea, and they made sure to list every title they could think of under their pictures.  They know people are taken in by titles.  Unfortunately, a few of these people were contacted by non members, and two in particular said they did not do what the Wms says they did on that calendar.  They did not give scientific proof of the existence of God the Mother, as the calendar says.  Even these "titled" members were exploited, for the simple fact that they had titles that the Wms thought could be used to convince others to join, or stay. 

This is kind of on the principal of that Yale University study where they got people to keep administering shocks to someone they couldn't see on the other side of a wall even when they didn't want to continue.  When they would question if they should continue, a guy in a white doctor type jacket who looked very titled and official would come over and order them to continue with the shocks even if the person on the other side said they had a heart condition and stopped responding.  And well over half did just that because someone who seemed to be in an "authoritative" position told them to. (When members question what they are doing, the Wms leaders tell them to keep going too, even though they are hurting themselves and their families.)

You know who refused to keep administering shocks in that study?  Those who felt like they were just as good as the guys in "authority" and who trusted themselves and their own convictions over any external authority.  Free thinkers.  I guess I would say that Untouchable J and his wife are those kind of people.  I applaud them and all others who have that kind of  self confidence and clear vision of what is right and wrong.

UntouchableJ
    Participant

@Mountain It took us a while though. What’s interesting is that Free Thinkers are deep in the church, but they supress the reasoning. Many of the members who are labeled, “Not of high faith” because they may miss a Saturday/Sabbath, or have a major function (family reunion etc) are those Free thinkers. They realize that sitting cooped up in a building, ALL day is torture. Being ridiculed, insulted and yelled at by leadership is wrong. But the appealing factors of Wms keep them there.

Done
    Participant

MountainMom, I learned about that study in my social psychology module. It did reminded me of wms as well. Members of the wms don't question the true intentions and motives of the ones of authority in that church. They think it's all from God.That's one of the reasons they just "obey" everything they are told to do and say. Even though they know that some of it is wrong. It's interesting that you mention Untouchable as one of the free thinkers. I would love to hear his story regarding wms

Chimpy
    Participant

They may mot force you to do anything but they sure will bully you and make you feel guilty. Not sure why I decided to look at this site today, something trigger the thought of the WMSCOG. I think I was in it for about two years but left some few years ago. I was in college and barely making enough to survive so I could not thithe, nor did i want to. Since I had been in there for a while, they started being more rude about my not thithing. One of the deaconess screamed at me for not wanting to give the full 10% of my income (they wanted the percentage on my pre-taxed income). They would tell me to stop eating out and be snarky with me if I bought anything. They also “encouraged” me to give even more. They may not say you have to, but they will make you feel like crap if you do not. Maybe not all of the members are like that but a whole lot of them sure are. Thank God that part of my life is over, but the thoughts still pop up once in a while.

UntouchableJ
    Participant

@Done If you PM, I’ll tell my story. Its not a problem.

AbbaFather07
    Participant

Untouchable…if you dont mind please pm your story to me too!!!

guest1332
    Participant

People say the church breaks up families.

Well, I see a different view; when I was going to the church I actually SAW Families together in one piece. And as for me, I was NEVER separated from my family at all. And they didn’t even know anything about the church and stuff said about them, they just saw it as a good thing which is ridiculous because many parents of members would have been worried. But my parents didn’t care a slightest bit even though they weren’t even part of the church.

cbr1k
    Participant

I’ve lost my wife to this church she’s only been going for 3 or 4 month this past month she was at church everyday for hours and when i told her i looked up what the church was about,a cult she got mad and wouldn’t read what i had found and after a month of feeling like a single parent and telling her she needs to help with our son and the house she said we should split up the time she spends with our son had gone down a lot from before she joined and now shes borrowing money from our savings cause she’s short on her car,over drafted on her debt car and past due on our credit card and just now a bill collector called and she was never like this she was always on time good with money and was proud of her car

joshlin
    Participant

dude same, I lost my fiance due to this church, this is a destructive cult…….something needs to be done to expose these, breaking up families and tearing relationships is not from god words……

genny
    Participant

Guest1332, how long were you involved in the wmscog and how much time did you spend there? Do you live with your family, and are you the parent in your family or a grown child? How much time did you spend evangelizing your family and how much did you tell them about what your church believes? These things all influence the level to which “the church breaks up families.”

MountainMom
    Participant

Bump

Azula
    Participant

Totally bummed! The video she is gone!!

🙁

blackdog4302
    Participant

No loss. Might not be on youtube, but I’m sure you can find it elsewhere.

blackdog4302
    Participant
Viewing 19 replies - 141 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.