SUPPORT COMING OUT PARTIES!!!

• Creator
    Topic
    Joshua
    Participant

We need ideas and commitments for this idea.

Simon
    Participant

Can you give an explanation for what exactly you were thinking as a starting point? I wasn't entirely sure what your idea was

Joshua
    Participant

In the posting about the mass exodus of Mormons there were interviews done where people said that if they had not been a part of a group of people leaving they might not have had the courage to leave themselves. This event was actually organized by people. How much easier would it be for people to leave this group if they knew they had support? Would you have left earlier if you would not have been alone? How much easier would it have been if others in your group had come out with you? This is the main idea behind this. There are many people in this group that know there is something wrong but don’t have the courage or strength to step out of the group by themselves. We need ideas and actions as to how we can make this happen. You are one of those folks who are in a very knowledgeable position. You know what it’s like inside the group and the pressure and influence that is put on people. You have also seen first hand how hard it is to break away and the emotions that come with doing so. Lets get the ideas flowing and start getting supporters behind this.

Simon
    Participant

One thing we might need is some way of sharing with them resources for support for them after get out they can have solidarity there but once they are out we cannot leave people on their own! Some people might do fine alone but some people need help.

admin
    Keymaster

shimon wrote:

One thing we might need is some way of sharing with them resources for support for them after get out they can have solidarity there but once they are out we cannot leave people on their own! Some people might do fine alone but some people need help.

primarily people are assisted through the former members facebook group:  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_181243978583498

there is also a lot of work done over e-mail for those who write in from the contact form:  https://www.examiningthewmscog.com/contact/

however i agree with your statement above and with your earlier post that the site needs more content to assist those getting out.  i've got an article in mind for this already.

Simon
    Participant

The faebook link you gave is dead I dunno if you mistyped it or if it got deleted or if it is secret.

Simon
    Participant

I believe an event like this we should coordinate independtly of in tandem with existing sites. Like this idea is its own independent project because it is in many ways different from anything currently existent being offline as well as online, and we also want other websites to be able to contribute to this cause, I don't know who else but I am sure some other web-masters like Genny would be good to contrinute to this cause. 

I also think the facebook page is a good resource but some people need multiple resources at their disposal and facebook is lacking in certain communication tools and not everyone has one. And while I do not agree with WMSCOG's anti FaceBook stance I do think it is reasonable to not want one, the company is not known for being very privacy friendly. People should be able to feel comfortable and like they have choices. I was also thinking about resources independent of any sort of wmcog specific. I know they have resources for people recovering from things i dunno about cult deprendcy/recovery or brainwashing reocery just if there were things it would help for them to be able to know they can get help instead of facing it alone.

Joshua
    Participant

We should also promote exit counseling for those who choose to free themselves from this group. My loved one and I did this kind of counseling and it really opened our eyes as to just how manipulative and destructive this cult is. This kind of help is expensive and some people will not be able to afford it but it should still be presented as an option.

Simon
    Participant

yes that is what I was thinking about too

Emily
    Participant

I went to counseling for 6 months after I left the wms.  It was really helpful in my recovery.  Networking with other former members is really important too.  The only obstacle to that is that the former members that I know are spread out all over the country so meeting up with them would be very difficult.  We may be able to organize a seminar for former members of this group but everyone would have to travel to where the counselor is or agree to meet in one place and pay for the counselor to travel to us but that would be more expensive.

Another obstacle is that some people leave and don't comment on the site or try to network.  I only know a handful of former members but I know that there are many more out there.  

Any ideas?  Why do you think that some people leave and never speak out about their experience in the wms?

Simon
    Participant

this site seems more set for debunking WMSCOG rather than a networking  between former members site.  The admin here could try and make that or maybe another site could be developed more for that purpose.

I think if either this site or another is developed for that purpose there would need to be parts of the boards that are secured so only those with accounts can see so people feel more safe opening up.

admin
    Keymaster

shimon wrote:

The faebook link you gave is dead I dunno if you mistyped it or if it got deleted or if it is secret.

it is a private group.  you have to click "join group" to be screened and added.

admin
    Keymaster

shimon wrote:

this site seems more set for debunking WMSCOG rather than a networking  between former members site.  The admin here could try and make that or maybe another site could be developed more for that purpose.

I think if either this site or another is developed for that purpose there would need to be parts of the boards that are secured so only those with accounts can see so people feel more safe opening up.

well said. 

unfortunately, there is no guarantee on security.  anyone would be free to sign up for an account.  the facebook group is closely monitored to try to provide privacy to families, but even then it is not 100% as you can read in the lawsuit:  https://www.examiningthewmscog.com/archives/wmscog-tries-to-silence-this-site-with-multi-million-dollar-lawsuit/

Simon
    Participant

I think sometimes a little privacy is better than none

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.