Observations from Hosea–the Bride and … Christmas?

• Creator
    Topic
    genny
    Participant

So my kids and I are nearing the end of our read-the-Bible-in-a-year plan.  We just finished up Hosea, and I wanted to share a couple observations.

The story of Hosea is that God told him to marry an adulterous woman to give Israel a object lesson showing how Israel had acted as an unfaithful wife to her husband, God.

When I first studied with the wmscog, the teacher told me that NOWHERE in the Bible was the church (or God's people) referred to as a bride.  More recently I've seen wmscog members argue that yes, the church is described as a bride elsewhere in the Bible, but in Revelation the "Bride" most definitely cannot be the church.

Well, I was struck by Hosea 2:19  "I will betroth you to me forever…"  —  God was looking ahead to a time when His people would be His bride forever (descriptively speaking).

And then at the end of the book, I was stopped in my tracks with Hosea 14:8.  I'm going to put it in KJV so it shows more clearly…

"Ephraim shall say, What have I to do any more with idols? I have heard him, and observed him: I am like a green fir tree. From me is thy fruit found."

That word translated "fir tree" is also translated "cypress tree" elsewhere.  As soon as I read it I had a picture of an evergreen tree in my head and how I teach my children that just like the evergreen trees are green all year, unchanging, so is God — His love is "evergreen," not changing with the seasons.

I would not use this verse as the cornerstone of a doctrine on Christmas, but isn't it interesting that God put that word there.  I hear the wmscog use verses against cutting trees to form into idols in their arguments against Christmas, but here is a place where God describes Himself as an evergreen tree.  Interesting.

Simon
    Participant

genny wrote:

When I first studied with the wmscog, the teacher told me that NOWHERE in the Bible was the church (or God's people) referred to as a bride.  More recently I've seen wmscog members argue that yes, the church is described as a bride elsewhere in the Bible, but in Revelation the "Bride" most definitely cannot be the church.

the way they connect verses it would make zero sense for the church=bride if you are a member trying to figure out jerusalem (gal 4:26) vs jerusalem (rev 21) is probably the bigest solution to freeing yourself

I would not use this verse as the cornerstone of a doctrine on Christmas, but isn't it interesting that God put that word there.  I hear the wmscog use verses against cutting trees to form into idols in their arguments against Christmas, but here is a place where God describes Himself as an evergreen tree.  Interesting.

I wouldn't even use it as a side note myself 

genny
    Participant

Simon wrote:

I wouldn't even use it as a side note myself 

It's an "Oh isn't that interesting" kind of thing for me.  Not much beyond unless someone is trying to tell me that evergreen trees are evil.

Simon
    Participant

fair enough fair enough… I would hope no one said that…

Genesis 1:12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

๐Ÿ™‚

emil
    Participant

Simon wrote:

the way they connect verses it would make zero sense for the church=bride if you are a member trying to figure out jerusalem (gal 4:26) vs jerusalem (rev 21) is probably the bigest solution to freeing yourself

Simon would you please elaborate? I would like to hear how exactly Gal 4:26 vs Rev 21 helps to free people?

I have tried discussing Rev 21. They take verse 2, say it is a woman, and completely ignore the physical description later in the same chapter.

They take Gal 4:26 to say she is a woman and completely ignore verse 24.

genny
    Participant

Simon wrote:

fair enough fair enough… I would hope no one said that…

Genesis 1:12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

๐Ÿ™‚

Good verse.

Seems the wmscog would say that I can eat eggs any other time, but if eat them at Easter then it's pagan and evil.  By the same logic, I'd better not do any decorating with evergreens or admire them in December or it's pagan, but any other time is ok.  Do they have a problem with snowmen and other winter things people decorate with too?  Curious because I love snowmen.

emil wrote:

Simon would you please elaborate? I would like to hear how exactly Gal 4:26 vs Rev 21 helps to free people?

Good question.  Simon, how would you explain Gal. 4:26 and Rev. 21 to a member now that you are out?

Simon
    Participant

I meant to say understanding the difference in purpose for the anologies. Not sure how to explain it though 

Simon
    Participant

they act as though because Jerusalem is found in the same place it refers to the same thing

Church of God
    Participant

Thanks genny

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.