Mount Zion and Heavenly Jerusalem

• Creator
    Topic
    emil
    Participant

Our second reading yesterday (Sunday) was from the book of Hebrews chapter 12. One verse in particluar, struck me.

Heb 12:22 – But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly

The author of Hebrews is writing to the Jews of the early church. In verses 18-21 he first describes the mountain of fear and contrasts it with the mountain of joy which is Zion. The mountain of fear he is talking about is the dependence on the law while the mountain of joy is Zion, the church of the new covenant. He calls it the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. Quite obviously, the heavenly Jerusalem he is writing about is not a woman who will be coming 2000 years later but something they are already experiencing in the present of the first century itself. Nor is it a physical place. The most logical interpretation is that it is a body of people, the body of Christ.

Comments please.

MountainMom
    Participant

Yes they are when you really look at them. 

Simon
    Participant

When you really look at them they are quite different

emil
    Participant

They are obviously different but have a good number of similarities. Second coming, Mother, and the strategy of using fear to retain members.

The country of origin is not all that incidental either.

misspeace
    Participant

Small things are different but the major points are basically the same. Like baking a cake, everyone uses the same steps but they use different ingredients or flavors. In the end, you are still baking a cake.

You don't have to really look at them to see the similarities, you just LOOK at them and you just do.

Simon
    Participant

I think the fact they believe Reverand Moon is not God and Hak Ja Han is not God and that Reverand Moon isnt the only second comming and that they aren't the only saved rules them out pretty substantially as similar

Harry
    Participant

Simon wrote:

I think the fact they believe Reverand Moon is not God and Hak Ja Han is not God and that Reverand Moon isnt the only second comming and that they aren't the only saved rules them out pretty substantially as similar

The wmscog is closer to the Mormons but lots of smilarities in both

Simon
    Participant

I was thinking moonies were closer in most ways lol

Harry
    Participant

But the Morons have the whole 2nd coming and the mother god thing going. I thought they were closer

Harry
    Participant

Harry wrote:

But the Morons have the whole 2nd coming and the mother god thing going. I thought they were closer

ooops i "actually" did mean to type Mormons

Emily
    Participant

misspeace wrote:

Small things are different but the major points are basically the same. Like baking a cake, everyone uses the same steps but they use different ingredients or flavors. In the end, you are still baking a cake.

You don't have to really look at them to see the similarities, you just LOOK at them and you just do.

Love this analogy!  We are never going to find one group that is exactly the same as another because they have to have some beliefs that make them different in order to try and make themselves important.  Basic marketing strategy:

My product is the only one of its kind.

My product is the best, and therefore your only choice.

You cannot survive without my product.

Hurry before my product runs out because only a few (144,000 for example) will be made.

Look at the behavior people.  Scientology, Mormons, JWs, Westboro Baptist, the list goes on…all totalitarian groups, with a clearly defined hierarchy, veneration to the leader of the group instead of "God", total control over the member's time, money, relationships, actions, thoughts, decisions, etc.  In a cult, the members are the puppets, maipulated by the leaders to further the cult's agenda.  Nothing more.

misspeace
    Participant

So true Emily. That is what most cakes, I mean cults, teaches. lol.

Having that for a knowledge can really help other people recognize a cult immediately. If only some teacher could make a powerpoint or something about this and teach it to the youngsters. Prevention is better than cure. *Sigh

Simon
    Participant

Moon uses a very similar story to joseph smith being sent by jesus to fulfill the second coming rather than literally being jesus

Ms Freedom
    Participant

misspeace wrote:

Having that for a knowledge can really help other people recognize a cult immediately. If only some teacher could make a powerpoint or something about this and teach it to the youngsters. Prevention is better than cure. *Sigh

I came across a really good educational video about cults. It was made by a film maker in Australia, created specifically for high school students. I purchased the video on-line, a little pricey at $45.00, but I felt worth it. You can see the trailer for it on the website. None of the 4 people interviewed are former members of WMSCOG, yet their stories are the same as if they are all former members. Cult behavior is all the same, no matter what the doctrine. As Emily posted above – the behavior is the same – all manipulation by a totalitarian leader. The video is titled "Visions of Paradise." Here is the link: http://www.roninfilms.com.au/

misspeace
    Participant

Ms Freedom wrote:

misspeace wrote:

I came across a really good educational video about cults. It was made by a film maker in Australia, created specifically for high school students. I purchased the video on-line, a little pricey at $45.00, but I felt worth it. You can see the trailer for it on the website. None of the 4 people interviewed are former members of WMSCOG, yet their stories are the same as if they are all former members. Cult behavior is all the same, no matter what the doctrine. As Emily posted above – the behavior is the same – all manipulation by a totalitarian leader. The video is titled "Visions of Paradise." Here is the link: http://www.roninfilms.com.au/

I'll look it up. On my part here, I made an amateur powerpoint about cults and distribute it to some school teachers I know so they can teach it to the students.. Thanks for the link, I can also use it along with my presentation.

Viewing 14 replies - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.