Mount Zion and Heavenly Jerusalem

• Creator
    Topic
    emil
    Participant

Our second reading yesterday (Sunday) was from the book of Hebrews chapter 12. One verse in particluar, struck me.

Heb 12:22 – But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly

The author of Hebrews is writing to the Jews of the early church. In verses 18-21 he first describes the mountain of fear and contrasts it with the mountain of joy which is Zion. The mountain of fear he is talking about is the dependence on the law while the mountain of joy is Zion, the church of the new covenant. He calls it the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. Quite obviously, the heavenly Jerusalem he is writing about is not a woman who will be coming 2000 years later but something they are already experiencing in the present of the first century itself. Nor is it a physical place. The most logical interpretation is that it is a body of people, the body of Christ.

Comments please.

Sarah2013
    Participant

You know, there is a reason God made man the head and not the woman. Why would He send a second after Him, a woman, to complete the mission? Is John – the baptist, and Jesus not enough? I’m guessing the woman can get to man better. What a bunch of cereal. Smh.

Sarah2013
    Participant

You know, there is a reason God made man the head and not the woman. Why would He send a second after Him, a woman, to complete the mission? Is John – the baptist, and Jesus not enough? I’m guessing the woman can get to man better. What a bunch of cereal. Smh.

Sarah2013
    Participant

Like I told a friend today, if they don’t pack their loads and go back to Korea out from all countries one of these members will crack one day and it won’t be funny. They need to stop before people lose their humanity.

Sarah2013
    Participant

Like I told a friend today, if they don’t pack their loads and go back to Korea out from all countries one of these members will crack one day and it won’t be funny. They need to stop before people lose their humanity.

Smurf
    Participant

Sarah2013 wrote:

Like I told a friend today, if they don't pack their loads and go back to Korea out from all countries one of these members will crack one day and it won't be funny. They need to stop before people lose their humanity.

Yes, but on the bright side if someone snaps it'll be all over the news. No one will ever want to associate with them anymore.

*I do not condone such actions.

Smurf
    Participant

Sarah2013 wrote:

Like I told a friend today, if they don't pack their loads and go back to Korea out from all countries one of these members will crack one day and it won't be funny. They need to stop before people lose their humanity.

Yes, but on the bright side if someone snaps it'll be all over the news. No one will ever want to associate with them anymore.

*I do not condone such actions.

Sarah2013
    Participant

That is true too.

Sarah2013
    Participant

That is true too.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

The WMSCOG claims that verse is a prophecy in Give Thanks to God

emil
    Participant

@Renita – yes they use that as a passing reference just to say they have come to Zion. But the author of Hebrews was writing to the Jewish converts living in the first century AD. He says that they have come to Mount Zion in contrast to the mountain of fear. What does this contrast indicate?

Moreover, he writes of the heavenly Jerusalem in the present during that period. What mother god was around at that time?

Just calling oneself Zion means nothing. I bet there must be a few thousand churches which call themselves Zion.

emil
    Participant

@Renita – yes they use that as a passing reference just to say they have come to Zion. But the author of Hebrews was writing to the Jewish converts living in the first century AD. He says that they have come to Mount Zion in contrast to the mountain of fear. What does this contrast indicate?

Moreover, he writes of the heavenly Jerusalem in the present during that period. What mother god was around at that time?

Just calling oneself Zion means nothing. I bet there must be a few thousand churches which call themselves Zion.

Simon
    Participant

My understanding is the early church DID teach mother vaguely sort of but forgot (or something like that) and so Paul was writting about Mother being with them spiritually (or some BS like that(

Simon
    Participant

My understanding is the early church DID teach mother vaguely sort of but forgot (or something like that) and so Paul was writting about Mother being with them spiritually (or some BS like that(

Ram Koirala
    Participant

<font color=”#1c256a”>Heb 12:22</font>  I  read the verse which is very much perfect, Paul mention Heavenly Jerusalem as our mother land. not our spirtual mother

Ram Koirala
    Participant

<font color=”#1c256a”>Heb 12:22</font>  I  read the verse which is very much perfect, Paul mention Heavenly Jerusalem as our mother land. not our spirtual mother

jellybean
    Participant

Sometimes I don’t know if the strong desire of the members to be the new version of the Jews is what drives them to believe in all this encarnation and spiritual version of Heavenly Jerusalem. The Jews got to speak to God and were the chosen people (are the chosen depending on what you believe) so anyone would love to be in their place if their faith is towards their God.

jellybean
    Participant

Sometimes I don’t know if the strong desire of the members to be the new version of the Jews is what drives them to believe in all this encarnation and spiritual version of Heavenly Jerusalem. The Jews got to speak to God and were the chosen people (are the chosen depending on what you believe) so anyone would love to be in their place if their faith is towards their God.

anosunny89
    Participant

Yes. Heavenly Jerusalem is the place where we are now. I will tell this to my friend. Thank you for your help.

misspeace
    Participant

To me, WMSCOG just seems like a page cut out from the Unification Church book. It's like a minor cult that came out from a big cult, striving to become a big cult itself to acquire power, self-glorification, money or whatever it is that they want. But I guess for those who experienced being with wmscog, they don't seem so minor since they really affect the family that they "infect" with their cultic ways.

Simon
    Participant

they arent really that alike

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.