Matthew 12:41-42

• Creator
    Topic
    Love'n Honey
    Participant

What does it mean?

Sarah2013
    Participant

Not very sure as of right now but I will dig into it. I do know this "it has nothing to do with Zhang." The same way it has nothing to do with Sarah. 

Simon
    Participant

I was told it wasn't about Mother even in WMSCOG

genny
    Participant

You can check some commentaries, but…

Matthew 12:41, "The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here."

Nineveh was filled with sin, but they repented at Jonah's message.  Jesus is greater than Jonah.  Basically, they would say, "Shame on you.  We listened to Jonah's message to repent.  You are getting the message to repent straight from Jesus, and you are not listening."

and Matthew 12:42, "The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon’s wisdom, and now something greater than Solomon is here."

The Queen of the South is the Queen of Sheba who came from a far distance to see Solomon, whom she had heard so much about.  Jesus is greater than Solomon.  Basically, she would say, "Shame on you.  I came from so far to hear Solomon's wisdom.  Jesus is here with you, and you don't care to listen to His wisdom."

Sarah2013
    Participant

Simon wrote:

I was told it wasn't about Mother even in WMSCOG

Glad even they agree. 

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Shimon, be specific as to what they said it meant. I ask because a girl I called today who was raised in SD Zion told me that these verses were explained to be about Mother.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

genny wrote:

You can check some commentaries, but…

Matthew 12:41, "The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here."

Nineveh was filled with sin, but they repented at Jonah's message.  Jesus is greater than Jonah.  Basically, they would say, "Shame on you.  We listened to Jonah's message to repent.  You are getting the message to repent straight from Jesus, and you are not listening."

and Matthew 12:42, "The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon’s wisdom, and now something greater than Solomon is here."

The Queen of the South is the Queen of Sheba who came from a far distance to see Solomon, whom she had heard so much about.  Jesus is greater than Solomon.  Basically, she would say, "Shame on you.  I came from so far to hear Solomon's wisdom.  Jesus is here with you, and you don't care to listen to His wisdom."

That makes a lot of sense! I will share this with her.

Simon
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

Shimon, be specific as to what they said it meant. I ask because a girl I called today who was raised in SD Zion told me that these verses were explained to be about Mother.

Deacon Murray said, "I don't know but it isn't about Mother"

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Sounds like Deacon Murray was lying. Especially if he just left it at that.

Simon
    Participant

I doubt he was lying

Love'n Honey
    Participant

No, I'm pretty sure he was.

[1] Most Deacons, and the such, know more than they lead on. It's there job to pretend like they don't know when they aren't sure if they should reveal something to you. I know this because I was given the obligation of being a group leader, though it was short. Even when I wasn't group leader I was told to only reveal certain things and if the person I was studying with asked a question outside of the "reveal spectrum" I was to say I didn't know or that I wasn't sure.

[2] Not following up is a tactic to escape the conversation. I have been guilty of this, too. Not in the WMSCOG but in life in general; hoping the person with the question will forget and not bring it up again.

Unless you're recalling improperly, there's fat baboons butt cheeks chance that the Deacon knew something you weren't "ready" to hear.

Simon
    Participant

whatever renita

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

I read before that scholars thInk the part in 12-42 about “behold, one greater than Solomon is here.” is in reference to a book that was widely circulated at the time, but not included in bible canon called “The wisdom of Solomon”. It has Solomon casting out demons and such, thus the comparison here in Matthew. One thing I’m certain of is that these verses are not prophetic, and have nothing to do with a Korean lady some 2,000 years after it’s inscription. Though I would love to see the bible gymnastics they use to try to prove such a claim.

Simon
    Participant

I never heard it claimed only the opposite but if any churches claim it that'd be interesting to see

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.