Korean Harvest Festival

• Creator
    Topic
    KF
    Participant

Chairwoman Zahng Gil-jah delivered the words of encouragement, saying, “Welcome, our family members from abroad. I can guess how difficult it is for you to live in a foreign country, because many Korean people also went abroad to work two or three decades ago. Pick yourselves up though you have difficulties. There’s a Korean old saying about the time of Chuseok (which is Korean harvest festival and also called Hangawi): “No more or less, but just be like Hangawi.” It means that all is abundant at Hangawi. We have prepared songpyon a special rice cake for Chuseok, and other festive food for you. Enjoy the food and be healthy.”

http://weloveuzahnggiljah.blogspot.com/2012/05/intl-we-love-u-foundation-chairwoman.html 

Sarah2013
    Participant

What was the reason behind the article being published in the first place?

Love'n Honey
    Participant

To show how much love Chairwoman Zahng Gil Jah showed all the people.

Disturbed
    Participant

Propaganda

Disturbed
    Participant

They gotta fix her image. She’s already been exposed as a fraud in Korea so now she’s chairwoman

fromtheotherside
    Participant

More accusations without proof.  Doesn't this get old?

Sarah2013
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

To show how much love Chairwoman Zahng Gil Jah showed all the people.

Disturbed wrote:

They gotta fix her image. She's already been exposed as a fraud in Korea so now she's chairwoman

Are they aware she is a god? 

Love'n Honey
    Participant

fromtheotherside wrote:

I see them as theories yet to be proven. When the times comes when the WMSCOG is exposed, Zahng has the excuse of never proclaiming to be God and for have opening a "legit" charity as a Chairwoman, not a god.

Disturbed
    Participant

Of course…when you are being challenged deny, deny, deny!

Participant

KF

You are extremely confused.

genny "So… I thought the wmscog was against man-made traditions."

You thought wrong.

We are against pagan gods and idolatry.

Things like Patriot's day or Independance day are the celebrations of very real physical events that actually happened, they are not false Gods, they are a jouyous celebration of freedoms. They are not Holy Days, and it is incorrect to call them Holy Days, even if in conversation we say holiday in the normal manner of speaking.

Thanksgiving is also not a pagan holiday in its current sense. HOWEVER. Calling it A Holy Day and preaching that you must pray for all thanksgiving from God at this appointed time is "Adding" to the word of God. In addition praying over a meal in regards to false things is idolatry.

Indeed, WMSCOG members can even eat Thanksgiving food as long as they specifically make sure to ask to have their food not prayed over by non-believers.

As a rule of thumb we avoid all man-made holidays because they can decieve you into pagan customs. But that is only a general rule with an emphasis on avoiding pagan gods.

But, kept properly, you can still enjoy your birthday, and independance day, and memorial day, and veterans day, and mothers day, and fathers day. Because they are not days dedicated to gods, they are days dedicated to honoring actual events and real people in reality.

In addition, they don't involve raising yule-trees or hanging wreaths and mistletoe, so they're kosher.

renita.payno

Did you forget to read the part "Although the exact origin of Chuseok is unclear" ?

Did you also forget to research it before getting so embarassingly ahead of yourself?

"Historically and according to popular belief, Chuseok originates from Gabae. Gabae started during the reign of the third king of the kingdom of Shilla (57 BC – AD 935), when it was a month-long weaving contest between two teams."

Emily

There are certain practices which are pagan, merely preparing traditional food is not one of them. No food itself is ever unclean.

Idols, and praying over the food, makes it unlean, who things that the WMSCOG never does.

The Unknown and Simon speak some sense concerning this matter.

Sarah2013
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

fromtheotherside wrote:

I see them as theories yet to be proven. When the times comes when the WMSCOG is exposed, Zahng has the excuse of never proclaiming to be God and for have opening a "legit" charity as a Chairwoman, not a god.

That's deep.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

144000 wrote:

renita.payno

Did you forget to read the part "Although the exact origin of Chuseok is unclear" ?

Did you also forget to research it before getting so embarassingly ahead of yourself?

"Historically and according to popular belief, Chuseok originates from Gabae. Gabae started during the reign of the third king of the kingdom of Shilla (57 BC – AD 935), when it was a month-long weaving contest between two teams."

Although the exact origin of the Chuseok is unclear, it's traditions are traced back to ancestorial worship and moon worship. The traditions kept during the modern Chuseok have pagan roots. Re-read the links I provided.

Participant

renita.payno

You are ignoring that it was instituted by kings because of physical contests in reality that had nothing to do with Gods.

There is no ceremony. There is no ritual. There is no asking for blessings from pagan gods, and there is no claim that it is a Holy Day from the real God, and it has absolutely 0 spiritual significance. That feast is not kept in front of idols or prayed over by WMSCOG members.

If there are old ways, they are not observed, this is a new method for keeping a celebration of physical things; and involves 0 prayer. If anyone still practices the old ways or uses idols, I advise against eating in front of them or participating in prayer food.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

144000 wrote:

renita.payno

You are ignoring that it was instituted by kings because of physical contests in reality that had nothing to do with Gods.

There is no ceremony. There is no ritual. There is no asking for blessings from pagan gods, and there is no claim that it is a Holy Day from the real God, and it has absolutely 0 spiritual significance. That feast is not kept in front of idols or prayed over by WMSCOG members.

If there are old ways, they are not observed, this is a new method for keeping a celebration of physical things; and involves 0 prayer. If anyone still practices the old ways or uses idols, I advise against eating in front of them or participating in prayer food.

You're ignoring that now it does have something to do with worship. The bronze snake didn't have pagan origin but then the people began to worship it so it became an idol. Just because something originally didn't have anything to do with gods doesn't mean that we should ignore that it now has to do with idol worship.

There are ceremonies and rituals. Did you look at the link I provided explaining Chuseok? There were people bowing down to food they placed before a "wall" with Korean words which I think are the names of their ancestors.. But the fact that they're bowing down is a form of worship. Preparing the rice cakes in a special fashion is supposed to bring good luck to find a husband and bear children. That's asking for a blessing. The anscestors become idols because they are worshipped during Chuseok.

And if the old ways don't matter, then it doesn't matter if I decorate a tree with my family on the 25th of December and do other things that was I raised to do on that day aside from prayer. I was advised by my pastor that participating in these things even if no one is praying is participating in a pagan festival. The only thing we were allowed to do was eat. Members have even told the teachers of their children not allow their children to participate in crafts that are focused around these pagan festivals. What you're saying about no prayer being involved makes sense but it's not what the members of Santee Zion were taught. And that branch has other churches that come from them that are teaching the same thing I described.

Are you Korean in Korea? I feel like they have a more "definite" understanding of what the WMSCOG teaches being that they're there with Zahng almost everyday.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Songpyeon

Songpyeon (송편) is one of the representative foods of Chuseok. This rice cake is prepared with rice powder that is kneaded into a size that is a little smaller than a golf ball, and then filled with sesame seed, beans, red beans, chestnuts, or other nutritious ingredients. When steaming the songpyeon, the rice cakes are layered with pine needles to add the delightful fragrance of pine. On the eve of Chuseok, the entire family gathers together to make songpyeon under the bright moon. An old Korean anecdote says that the person who makes beautiful songpyeon will meet a good spouse or give birth to a beautiful baby. It is no wonder that all the single members of a family try their best to make the most beautiful songpyeon!

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=811650

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Charye (ancestor memorial services)

On Chuseok morning, family members gather at their homes to hold memorial services (called Charye, 차례) in honor of their ancestors. Formal Charye services are held twice a year: during Seollal (Lunar New Year’s Day) and Chuseok. The difference between the two services is that during Seollal the major representative food is white Tteokguk, a rice cake soup, while during Chuseok the major representative food is freshly harvested rice. After the service, family members sit down together at the table to enjoy delicious food that symbolizes their blessings.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Chuseok Customs

On the morning of Chuseok Day, Songpyeon (a type of Korean rice cake) and food prepared with the year’s fresh harvest are set out to give thanks to ancestors through Charye (ancestor memorial service). After Charye, families visit their ancestors’ graves and engage in Beolcho, a ritual of clearing the weeds that may have grown up over the burial mound. After dusk, families and friends take walks and gaze at the beauty of the full harvest moon or play folk games such as Ganggangsullae (Korean circle dance).

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Chuseok (Hangawi)

Chuseok is one of Korea’s three major holidays, along with Seollal (New Year’s Day) and Dano (the 5th day of the 5th month of the lunar year) and is also referred to as Hangawi (한가위), meaning “the ides of August” (August 15th according to the lunar calendar). Hangawi/Chuseok was the day on which Koreans, an agrarian people throughout most of history, gave thanks to their ancestors for the year’s harvest, and shared their abundance with family and friends.

Although the exact origin of Chuseok is unclear, the tradition can be traced back to ancient religious practices that centered around the moon. The sun’s presence was considered routine, but the full moon that came once a month was considered a special and meaningful event. Therefore, harvest festivities took place on the day of the bright, full moon or August 15 on the lunar calendar system.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

For Koreans, alcohol has been a lifelong companion in times of sorrow and joy. Korean people have been brewing their own liquor since ancient times when they first began to practice agriculture. Since then, liquor has been enjoyed at every festival and event. Historical records show that Korean people began brewing a clear grain-based liquor before the 4th century. Since that time, Koreans have performed ceremonies when they make a ritual offering of the alcohol to their ancestors in appreciation for the bountiful annual harvest and to pray for future happiness. After making the ritual offerings, Koreans traditionally enjoy drinking the liquor while singing and dancing.

Korea’s traditional liquors are takju (탁주), cheongju 청주 (or yakju 약주), and soju (소주). The oldest is takju, which is made by fermenting grains like rice or wheat. When takju is strained to a refined clear liquor, it becomes cheongju (yakju), and when cheongju is distilled, it becomes soju. Today, takju is more commonly known as makgeolli, and it is enjoyed by the majority of Koreans as well as many visitors. 

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/FO/FO_EN_6_3_2.jsp

Love'n Honey
    Participant

You don't have to read the whole thing though I do advise that you do just to be fair. But I bolded the rituals, ceremonies, hopes for blessings, services, and prayers that you said don't take place during Chuseok. There have been plenty of times when I was wrong about something but have accepted my defeat. Chuseok is a pagan festival because of these things. And why are they giving thanks to their ancestors when God is the one who brings the harvest? There so many things about Chuseok that are against the bible, according to what I've learned in the WMSCOG.

Jesus of Nazareth
    Participant

Guys, don't argue with these idiots.  They have an excuse for everything; even books written by their own "god" that indicate the exact opposite of what they supposedly believe and teach.  They are a laughing stock both where you are and abroad.  They are trying to draw us out so that they will have conflicting statements to use against our side.  Just like Ron and Diane. 

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 144 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.