Jonah's Prophecy

• Creator
    Topic
    Moved-Comment
    Participant

This comment was originally made by WMS brother on 1988 End of the World Flyer, and has been moved here for further discussion:

WMS brother says:

There is a difference between a false prophet, and the mercy of God. Here is the story of Jonah, which you referred to, but did not explain:

Jonah 3:4 "… "Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.""

Jonah 3:10 "When God saw … how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened."

Jonah 4:1 "But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry"

Jonah 4:4 "But the Lord replied, “Is it right for you to be angry?”

Jonah 4:10-11 "… the Lord said … I … have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people”

*I encourage reading the entire story to understand the full context of God’s mercy. I have only posted the verses I think are most relevant, please consult the full version.

There are other examples of other kingdoms whom God promised to destroy, too, but they were spared.

Like Jonah, I once also said that it is wrong for God, or any prophet, to proclaim something, and then not deliver on that promise.

I was angry to listen to liars, and we are also humiliated when what we say does not come true.

But there is a difference between the prophet who is false because what he says does not come true, and the prophet who repeats the already true word of God whom then decides to show mercy.

Prophets who are false use a made up story. This relies on God acting to prove the legitimacy of the prophet. The biblical examples also have ungodly agendas such as introducing paganism, or changing the law.

True prophets repeat the word of God verbatim. This does not rely on God acting to prove the legitimacy of the prophet, because the prophet is -already- doing everything correctly -prior- to the prophecy. Biblical examples show righteous agendas such as speaking up against pagan customs and lamenting over how the law has been changed.

In conclusion, God showing mercy is his providence.

I used to be a pagan. Now it is my great joy to follow the guidance of Jesus Christ, who has a new name just as he promised. I came for the education, I stayed because of faith. I would not take such mercy for granted after he so gracefully delayed our destruction, which was in fact prophesied.

No one should ever apologize for repeating the words of God, even if the whole world hates them. Even if everyone in the whole world worships the beast.

Don’t you know where it is written, that both of these things are true?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.