Jonah's Prophecy

• Creator
    Topic
    Moved-Comment
    Participant

This comment was originally made by WMS brother on 1988 End of the World Flyer, and has been moved here for further discussion:

WMS brother says:

There is a difference between a false prophet, and the mercy of God. Here is the story of Jonah, which you referred to, but did not explain:

Jonah 3:4 "… "Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.""

Jonah 3:10 "When God saw … how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened."

Jonah 4:1 "But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry"

Jonah 4:4 "But the Lord replied, “Is it right for you to be angry?”

Jonah 4:10-11 "… the Lord said … I … have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people”

*I encourage reading the entire story to understand the full context of God’s mercy. I have only posted the verses I think are most relevant, please consult the full version.

There are other examples of other kingdoms whom God promised to destroy, too, but they were spared.

Like Jonah, I once also said that it is wrong for God, or any prophet, to proclaim something, and then not deliver on that promise.

I was angry to listen to liars, and we are also humiliated when what we say does not come true.

But there is a difference between the prophet who is false because what he says does not come true, and the prophet who repeats the already true word of God whom then decides to show mercy.

Prophets who are false use a made up story. This relies on God acting to prove the legitimacy of the prophet. The biblical examples also have ungodly agendas such as introducing paganism, or changing the law.

True prophets repeat the word of God verbatim. This does not rely on God acting to prove the legitimacy of the prophet, because the prophet is -already- doing everything correctly -prior- to the prophecy. Biblical examples show righteous agendas such as speaking up against pagan customs and lamenting over how the law has been changed.

In conclusion, God showing mercy is his providence.

I used to be a pagan. Now it is my great joy to follow the guidance of Jesus Christ, who has a new name just as he promised. I came for the education, I stayed because of faith. I would not take such mercy for granted after he so gracefully delayed our destruction, which was in fact prophesied.

No one should ever apologize for repeating the words of God, even if the whole world hates them. Even if everyone in the whole world worships the beast.

Don’t you know where it is written, that both of these things are true?

Simon
    Participant

but another thing is a prophecy about 1988 how is that different from these verses?

"There are some standing here which shall not taste

of death, till they see the son of man coming in his kingdom.'' Matthew 16:28 '

''But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into

another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man

be come.'' Mt. 20:23

Simon
    Participant

but another thing is a prophecy about 1988 how is that different from these verses?

"There are some standing here which shall not taste

of death, till they see the son of man coming in his kingdom.'' Matthew 16:28 '

''But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into

another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man

be come.'' Mt. 20:23

donttrustzang
    Participant

shimon wrote:

genny wrote:

Thanks shimon 🙂

shimon wrote:

We don't know what % of Nineveh repented either.

No, we don't know the %, but we do know it must have been a lot because of this verse,

Jonah 3:5

"The Ninevites believed God. A fast was proclaimed, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth."

Putting on Sackcloth is external God looks internal. Frankly though I have no answer to this question either way and I feel that none of us is qualified to discuss this topic as none of us were there.

well in o.t putting on the sackcloth showed you were in a sence repenting..  it said ALL of them, from the greatest to the least….  i dont get how the world could even end on 1988 without us recieving the "seal of god" in america…..  doesnt make sence, but it is 100% true that he said the world would end in 1988..

Simon
    Participant

Did he say it would end in 88 or did COG say he said it?

donttrustzang
    Participant

It used to be in the green book. Its an "underground" study that i was told not to be taught anymore. Jonahs Prophecy. its well known among many leaders..  40 years from the time he was baptized…  

Simon
    Participant

I read the green book its kinda hard to be sure what he really said or meant when we know they love to change and.twist

donttrustzang
    Participant

true, but i remeber reading where he said "a generation=40 yrs"  and he said that the last church "should" be ended up in about 40 years… not sure if 40 yrs from his bap if so 1988  40 yrs from first church 2004      2012-40= 1982   anything happen in 1982?

Simon
    Participant

That’s assuming he actually wrote that.in another book he allegedly wrote a generation is 70.years.

Joshua
    Participant

Well it looks like they might be able to cover their lies until 2018. This is using the theory of a generation being 70 years.

Simon
    Participant

If you read the books of "truth" he said it was 70 years. 

Joshua
    Participant

Clearly this guy was not God. I think this was all wishful thinking on Ahn’s part. Oops, he missed it again! Sounds like some kind of pop song.

Simon
    Participant

I say we go with what his books say (for making claims on what he believed) over what a pamphlet written after his death says.

Rain
    Participant

shimon wrote:

Hi Shimon, what book is this.  Is this the tiltle of the book, I never saw it or heared it when i was there. If it's the G.B. can you tell me the chapter, thank you

j.j.
    Participant

donttrustzang wrote:

It used to be in the green book. Its an "underground" study that i was told not to be taught anymore. Jonahs Prophecy. its well known among many leaders..  40 years from the time he was baptized…  

does the other church have this g.b. also? 

j.j.
    Participant

Hal wrote:

shimon wrote:

So what is a generation.. 40 years or 70 years.. i say we go with something in the middle like 55…

I  just finish reading a statement someone wrote on line commenting on a youtube video, and it kind of makes sense to me, along with the signs in the moon (supermoon, bluemoon)  nibiru, solar flares, comets,the alignment, worldwide earthquakes, floods, wildfires, tremors, eurpting volcanoes, tsunamis, drought, cyclones, tornados, landslides, hurricanes, hailstorms, heatwaves, arctic sea melting, the dead birds in the begining of 2012, the dead fish, turtles, dolphins, crabs, the new technology, the rfid chip, etc… etc….all these things are happening more frequent than usual, something is going on here, and we all know the bible talks about all these signs,  so we know the time is drawing near.

anyway getting to the point this is what i read:

The nation of Israel was established in 1948.  If a generation is 70 years, or 80 if we have the strenght, then the Lord will return in either 2017 or 2027. Here are scriptures that prove it

http://www.raptureready.com/rr-last-generation.html

Joshua
    Participant

Folks, every generation sees what’s going on around them as some kind of proof that we are in the end times. I encourage you to read about the seven seals again. We have barely begun down the path to the end times. Groups like the WMS, LDS, SDA, Moonies, etc. constantly preach about the end times and how we have such little time left. They use it as a control factor. Lets not get caught up in all that mess. We have the Word of God. It helps us know how to live godly lives. Lets do that instead of living like the sky is falling.

Simon
    Participant

There is no way to know unless God directly tells.

Generally wms is wrong but I think they have a point here. It is better for us not to know

Joshua
    Participant

Simon, Gods word is clear about these things that are going to happen. God has already told us directly. He also instructed us not to be worried about such things because they need to happen. Cult groups use it as a way to force people to worry and take action. Deception any way you want to view it. 

Simon
    Participant

I agree its very clear what, but when is left a mystery and I think that’s a good thing, if we know when we’re more likely to focus on that than God

unknown
    Participant

The conclusion that can be drawn from this is very simple. The fact that you can't draw this conclusion on your own demonstrates your lack of critical thinking. The prophecy of the world ending in 1988 is false. There's no debating that. Why? Because it's not true. It never happened. Therefore, the person that stated the prophecy must be a false prophet. This is not an example of God's mercy, it's an example of a group's deception.

Viewing 20 replies - 61 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.