Introducing Myself

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello everybody. I think I'm probably an usual poster for this forum, and think I might have come on a bit strong and rocked the boat a little too hard. I thought it would be nice to introduce myself. 

For the purpose of this forum, I'm Irenaeus. I'm a devout Catholic. I was raised nominally Catholic, had a deep experience in my faith at the age of ten. And much to my parents chagrin for a while, I've been a bit of a Catholic zealot ever since. I really love and belive in Jesus Christ and His Catholic Church. 

I had my first experience with the WMS when I was a freshman at George Mason University. I used to enjoy talking about religion/bible/faith with anyone willing to talk. There were plenty of occasions for this in the "free speech square." One day I ran into a group of guys chatting it up about Passover. I actually didn't make the connection at the time that they were the "mother god people" as we called them back in the day. I struck up a conversation with them about the Passover and its relation to the Eucharist. They seemed really excited by how excited I was, and they invited me to go get dinner. For some reason I thought we were going to Pizza Hut. I really am not sure where I got that impression, because we ended up at their "church" building for a chicken dinner. 

The men had dinner in one room and the women in another. The whole room got quiet as the pastor started asking me about questions about what color a bee can see. I was really confused at what he was getting at. Anyway, we changed our seating arrangments when he invited me to a "study" which was all about EVIL Constatine changing the sabbath, which as a historian, I found pretty funny. After a while I realized I was debating the pastor, delicately at this point, in front of the whole congregation, women and children included. I was really weirded out, and apologized for possibly interrupting their service? They said it was no problem, I said I was uncomfortable with the whole situation, and then they jumped into a full service, praying to Ahn…. 

When it was over a guy asked me "Isn't great to know the REAL TRUTH!" I said, it is indeed wonderful, but this isn't it. They just lied all over the place about Constantine and the sabbath. They pulled me, aside into another room where I ended up debating the pastor over an open book of the Bible, (although they wouldn't let me touch it) in front of one of the original missionaries I had met. I argued strongly that the Church was given authority to change the sabbath by Christ when he gave the apostles and Peter the power of binding and loosing. The pastor ended up shouting and screaming at me. Trying to find common ground with him at one point I said that, "God loves everybody…" And he responded by shouting, "HOW YOU KNOW GOD LOVES EVERYONE?!?!" I was obviously floored, but I kept arguing. Eventually I was man handled by the pastor, and literally thrown out of the building. I insisted that the missionary I rode with give me a ride back to campus. The Pastor said, "Never heard of a bus?" I informed him it was late, and the CUE bus had stopped running. They wouldn't let the orinial missionary ride with me, I think I had gotten to him and they were scared. They let a senior member drive me home.

I pray for those people all the time, escpecially the young missionary who seemed moved by the whole thing. 

So that was my first experience with the WMS. 

I pray God's light and blessing upon you all. 

-Irenaeus 

Simon
    Participant

Welcome Irenaeus 

genny
    Participant

Nice to meet you Irenaeus.  Glad you are here. ๐Ÿ™‚  And thanks for sharing your story.  I hope that young man has been thinking about what you said.

Cephas' Brother
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Irenaeus. From the story, you sound like a much more patient man than I.

Sarah2013
    Participant

Welcome to this side of the world. This forum can be quite intense so I hope you are ready ๐Ÿ™‚

jellybean
    Participant

Hi there! It seems like if you do not agree with them they will hate you. There was no reason for a Pastor or anyone else to scream at you or anyone that is so disrespectful. At least you got to see their true colors the same day and did not got baptized and waste precious time and money in this group.

MountainMom
    Participant

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story.  I've never heard of any other church that yells at people they invited to come, and then manhandles them and throws them out when they disagree!  It actually sounds comical, like something you can look back on that way, anyway.  Fodder for a movie about the church if they ever make one.  And that could happen.

Disturbed
    Participant

There is no love in that place which is why it is easy for them to show their true colors. God does not dwell there because God is love. I think the Korean high up in the church are becoming arrogant. They’re tired of dealing with us Americans who aren’t multimillionaires like them.

Welcome Irenaeus! How lucky for you to get thrown out on your first visit. Looking back, I wish they had done me the honor of throwing me out!

Stained
    Participant

Welcome.  That was an awesome story.  I am Stained and I have the authority to dub your story as such.

(or)

Should I say, actually your story actually is actually awesome actually and actually I actually dub it actually so actually.

emil
    Participant

Welcome Doc. ๐Ÿ™‚

I too am glad you got thrown out but then I don't see you as someone who would have been sucked in either. They get a lot of us Catholics because unfortunately many of us are pretty weak about the teachings of the catholic church.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been informed that while this site is geared towards the WMS, healthy debate about all forms of Christianity/God generally is permitted, as long as we keep it in an appropriate forum. I will be posting anything not explicitly WMS related in the "Off Topic" part of the forum. I believe that being well formed in the doctrine of Catholicism, Orthodoxy, or mainline Protestantism is a great antidote to prevent souls from falling into the clutches of the WMS and similar groups.I also know that the WMS preys on poorly formed Catholics, and so I personally would like to help former Catholics who are now or have been part of the WMS to see the truth of the Catholic faith. 

Emily
    Participant

IrenaeusFTW wrote:

I have been informed that while this site is geared towards the WMS, healthy debate about all forms of Christianity/God generally is permitted, as long as we keep it in an appropriate forum. I will be posting anything not explicitly WMS related in the "Off Topic" part of the forum. I believe that being well formed in the doctrine of Catholicism, Orthodoxy, or mainline Protestantism is a great antidote to prevent souls from falling into the clutches of the WMS and similar groups.I also know that the WMS preys on poorly formed Catholics, and so I personally would like to help former Catholics who are now or have been part of the WMS to see the truth of the Catholic faith. 

Welcome Iraneus!

I think that's a great idea.  Can I suggest a topic?  When I was a member of the WMS, I was told that the Catholic church "added books to the Bible" and that's why the Catholic Bible is different.  Citing Revelation, where it says not to add or take away, they accused the Catholic Church of being wrong and cursed for that matter because they had "added" to the Bible.  Maybe you could shed some light on that in the off topic section?  Thanks!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Emily, posting on that momentarily! 

Sarah2013
    Participant

A kettle calling a pot black.  How can a church point its fingers at another while they themselves are without scrutiny. 

Simon
    Participant

Because ahnsahnghong restored passover sarah

Sarah2013
    Participant

He did, huh. Cool. Now I know the truth about him. I guess I had him all wrong.

emil
    Participant

Emily wrote:

Welcome Iraneus!

I think that's a great idea.  Can I suggest a topic?  When I was a member of the WMS, I was told that the Catholic church "added books to the Bible" and that's why the Catholic Bible is different.  Citing Revelation, where it says not to add or take away, they accused the Catholic Church of being wrong and cursed for that matter because they had "added" to the Bible.  Maybe you could shed some light on that in the off topic section?  Thanks!!

That is a very long story but I'll answer it here in brief. The books of the bible (what is now called the catholic bible) were actually finalized formally in around 381, 393 and 397 AD. These then existed for centuries until the reformation in the 16th century. During the entire 12 century intervening period, there were a few objections to the presence or absence of some books but they were all resolved without much ado.

It is only during the reformation that Luther decided to remove the deuterocanonical books (written in the period between 400 BC and Jesus' time) from the bible. BTW, it must be mentioned that Luther actually also wanted to remove many NT books like James, Jude and one of Peters letters. Revelation too if I remember correctly. But his companions convinced him to avoid changing the NT. A major reason for Luther to drop those books was because they went against his views Sola Fide (NT books) and purgatory (deuterocanonicals).

In the 16th century, because Luther removed the OT books, the Catholic Church had to formally confirm the list of books included in the bible. Those opposing the Catholic church, point to this event and say it is when the Catholic church added books to the bible. In fact, the books were always there. The church just confirmed the list in the 16th century.

Stained
    Participant

Simon wrote:

Because ahnsahnghong restored passover sarah

LMAO  "Actually" LMMFAO.  Actually you're actually a hoot actually.  Nuggies Poindexter.

Liberty
    Participant

IrenaeusFTW wrote:

Hello everybody. I think I'm probably an usual poster for this forum, and think I might have come on a bit strong and rocked the boat a little too hard. I thought it would be nice to introduce myself.

Welcome Irenaeus! We are very happy to have you in this forum. You are probably about as zealous in your beliefs as I am in mine. Don't ever be afraid of rocking the boat or making bold statements. It gives for an interesting read and there are many out there who you may reach out to. Thank you for your courage to post here and share your story.

And I wish I had been kicked out like you had. As another poster said- we would've been better off ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the welcome! 

Stained
    Participant

Everything's so blurry

and everyone's so fake

and everybody's empty

and everything is so messed up

pre-occupied without you

I cannot live at all

My whole world surrounds you

I stumble then I crawl

You could be my someone

you could be my scene

you know that i'll protect you

from all of the obscene

I wonder what you're doing

imagine where you are

there's oceans in between us

but that's not very far

Can you take it all away

can you take it all away

well ya shoved it in my face

this pain you gave to me

Can you take it all away

can you take it all away

well ya shoved it in my face

Everyone is changing

there's no one left that's real

to make up your own ending

and let me know just how you feel

cause I am lost without you

I cannot live at all

my whole world surrounds you

I stumble then I crawl

You could be my someone

you could be my scene

you know that i will save you

from all of the unclean

I wonder what you're doing

I wonder where you are

There's oceans in between us

but that's not very far

Can you

You take it all

You take it all away…

This pain you gave to me

You take it all away

This pain you gave to me

Take it all away

This pain you gave to me

It's all a

PUDDLE OF MUDD

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.