Homeless People Need Socks

• Creator
    Topic
    Emily
    Participant

I came across this video on YouTube and had some thoughts…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq2280l5VFM

The video was 5:27 minutes long.  It seems that the Denver WMS was able to get almost 1500 pairs of socks donated for the homeless people in the area.  OK…

Why socks of all things?

When I think of what homeless people might need to survive, the first things that come to mind are food and shelter.  So let's say that a church doesn't have the resources to house homeless people, then why not provide food for them?  Did the WMS choose to do a sock drive because they are too busy providing food for their own members?  When I was a member, a lot of the other members shared apartments and ate all of their meals in the church.  Just saying…

Not to mention that in the entire 5 minutes and 27 seconds, there was not a homeless person to be seen in the video.  Who gave the socks to the homeless people?  Why wasn't that part of the video?  

Hey the homeless people are hungry.

Well at least they have plenty of socks.

Does this make any sense?  In my opinion, this seems more like propaganda than the WMS really caring about the homeless. 

Joshua
    Participant

I’m currently on a mission trip in LA. Here we are addressing all of the needs that we can. A pair of socks is better than nothing but it really is more of a feel good thing for the people giving rather than the people getting. Did the WMSCOG invite them to church? Hmmm.

Simon
    Participant

you should realize that church of god ran the socks drive to distribute to another agency that needed the socks to give to the homeless not to give themselves

at least I was how it was explained to me

Emily
    Participant

You’re right Shimon. It’s clear after watching the video for a second time. It just doesn’t seem like the WMS cares about the disadvantaged at all. I remember being told not to bring anyone “ghetto” to the church because the pastor would be upset. When I went “preaching” we only went to affluent areas and places where people were shopping. That isn’t exactly the example that Jesus set. He associated with the sick, tax collectors, prostitutes, etc. I just don’t see how the WMS lines up with that example. It’s more like look at all these videos on YouTube of how awesome we are at cleaning parks and collecting socks. That’s their “Mother’s love”??

Simon
    Participant

It is very different from my experience because we would preach in the poor part of town more than the rich part but I dunno.

There actually should be a video of Extreme Make Over Home Edition A La WMSCOG though which is CLOSER to the idea set by Jesus (not that that means anything in the long run)

Sueno Maruyama
    Participant

Yes, my child only "recruits" in the higher class areas of town, including the nicer shopping malls ….  at least WMSCOG understands very well the financial side of things …… which I have said all along, is it's primary purpose, just like Rev. Moon, Joyce Meyer, et al ….

Simon
    Participant

Again, I don't believe this is WMSCOG standard operating policy, we did a lot of our preaching in the poor parts of town,  parks and we really only have one shopping mall in town so yeah…

Simon
    Participant

loocpoc wrote:

shimon wrote:

Again, I don't believe this is WMSCOG standard operating policy, we did a lot of our preaching in the poor parts of town,  parks and we really only have one shopping mall in town so yeah…

Dude having been to Cheyenne, there is nothing rich about the town..

As far as the socks goes, in many cold weather climates, socks and shoes are in dire need so the homeless do not get frostbite, bitten by rats etc..

http://www.comfortsocksonline.org/ 

Yes there are VERY rich people in Cheyenne whether you choose to believe it or not.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.