Holiday practices at the wmscog–what did you see?

• Creator
    Topic
    genny
    Participant

I've seen comments about this scattered throughout the forum before, but I'd like to gather the information together.  It will help with something I'm working on.

Whether you experienced it as a member or saw it in your loved one who is/was a member…

1.  On major holidays (such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, etc.) did your wmscog congregation get together for an alternative gathering?  (Like how many churches offer a "Harvest Festival" on Halloween night.)

2.  Which holidays did they do this for?

3.  Was it advertised as a community event, or just for members?

4.  What was the event like? (organized, relaxed, potluck, fellowship, preaching…)

5.  Which holidays (if any) were you (or your loved one) willing to celebrate with your family in the regular way.

Thank you so much for sharing!

—-

By the way, here's my own answer…

My sister and I live far apart and mostly talk on the phone, so I do not have opportunity to see what she does on particular holidays or if there are any alternate holiday arrangements.

I do know that she sometimes visited for Thanksgiving dinner, and she joined the family when we all came to the same town to be together for Christmas.  However, we never have our family Christmas gathering on Dec. 25.  It's always early, and though she would eat, she would not exchange presents with us or wish us Merry Christmas.  She was just there to visit.  Since I never see her on Dec. 25, I don't know what she does that day.

She has always been willing to wish us Happy New Year or Happy Birthday.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.