Documentaries

• Creator
    Topic
    Emily
    Participant

I wanted to start a thread about documentaries that may be helpful to people who want to learn more about the cult mentality. I think that the Leah Remini series on Scientology is really good so far. She’s done a great job exposing that group and the abuses that many members have suffered.

More relevant to the WMSCOG in my opinion, is the documentary called The Propaganda Game on Netflix. If you get a chance to watch, please comment your thoughts below. If there is a documentary that you would like to add to this list, please add below as well :).

WarriorQueen
    Participant

The Leah Remini The aftermath of Scientology is awesome.. I actually got my loved one to watch 3 episodes before I accidentally mentioned how they compared to wmscog.. He then refused to continue watching.. I wonder sometimes if he actually stays off these sites and so on.. Cause red flags and discrepancies sound an alarm and that’s his way of avoiding his own common sense being right.. I hadn’t heard of the propaganda game on Netflix.. But I will be watching it asap! thanks for sharing..

Joshua
    Participant

WarriorQueen wrote:

The Leah Remini The aftermath of Scientology is awesome.. I actually got my loved one to watch 3 episodes before I accidentally mentioned how they compared to wmscog.. He then refused to continue watching.. I wonder sometimes if he actually stays off these sites and so on.. Cause red flags and discrepancies sound an alarm and that's his way of avoiding his own common sense being right.. I hadn't heard of the propaganda game on Netflix.. But I will be watching it asap! thanks for sharing..

YOU DID AWESOME GETTING YOUR HUSBAND TO WATCH THIS WITH YOU!!! This is one of the tools that I suggest people use to help members start to use their own mind to see the truth. Use a group that the member would identify as a cult and then suggest that there are similarities. Ask questions like, "Does the WMS do that? Be curious not accusatory. If they say no or something like that then maybe you can follow it up with, "Ok, so how does the WMS approach this?" Again, be curious in your approach. Nicely done getting him to watch with you. Good sign!

WarriorQueen
    Participant

Yes.. but then when I mentioned anything suggesting the similarities.. that’s when he stopped watching lol.. I believe it was the fact that his red flag radar was going off and he felt bad for doubting.. cause they aren’t allowed to doubt or question.. so in order to keep from doing so he ran away.. he walked in after service yesterday and Steve Hassan happened to be on at the time.. I said hey you know him don’t you? he said I don’t care what they have to say.. I was like that’s not what I asked you.. he said no I don’t care about them.. I was like why are you uoset? I just asked if you knew who he was.. then he was like.. why would I? I said because your church makes videos against him about what he does.. he just shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.. he actually watched as Steve cried.. and then changed the TV.. That was a perfect thing for him to walk in on.. hopefully it’s stays on his mind and out of curiosity he actually looks him up and sees his true character.. outside of the claims the cog says about him!

Judith13
    Participant

Emily
    Participant

Has anyone seen "The Path" on Hulu?  Awesome show about a cult.  Many aspects mirror my experience in the WMSCOG.

Another excellent show is "The Leftovers" on HBO.  The cult aspect may not be so obvious at first to those who aren't familiar with how cults work.  WarriorQueen, maybe you can get your spouse to watch this one?

Ms Freedom
    Participant

I have watched all the episodes of "The Path" and love it! I'm so glad they renewed it for a second season. I haven't seen "

The Leftovers" but I will look it up.

A few documentaries that come to mind are:

Going Clear – The best documentary on Scientology ever made. It is referred to in Leah's show. One of the couples bought the book (same title) by Lawrence Wright (who was also on her show) and they read it in one night. It caused them to leave.

Holy Hell – CNN A great story about a group called the Buddha Field. 

Visions of Paradise – I especially like this one because it uses the stories of 4 differen people. You find out why they joined, what caused them to doubt, and why they left. It is a documentary out of Australia, but it is worth the money. Here is the link:

https://www.roninfilms.com.au/feature/2523/visions-of-paradise.html

I also watch the series "Escaping Polygamy" on A & E. It focuses on FLDS and a group of people who help members escape.

Another show (I believe is only in reruns) is called Escaping Evil: My Life in a Cult. I'm not sure what channel it airs on. There are many different cults profiled including: Scientology, FLDS, Amish, Jahovah Wittness, Jim Jones and others mostly unknown. The interesting thing is that they have different doctrine, but behavior is all the same. Control.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.