Did Jesus Lie

• Creator
    Topic
    Azula
    Participant

I was just thinking.

Almost 2000 years ago Jesus said he was coming soon to the desciples, but already 1900 years have already passed and people are still waiting. Can you imagine how disapointed the folks who died of old age would've felt because they would've held on to the hope of the Lord coming soon?

So like did he actually lie when he said he was coming soon. Although others will use the whole a day is like a thousand years argument, but relatively speaking if the Son of God tells me he's coming soon I would imagine it being during my lifetime. Otherwise why not tell people the truth and say you will come (if ever) after many millenia?

The saints of the early church all died and they told folks the advent was soon. Wasn't that a lie?

Simon
    Participant

Peter implied the end would be many generations later

further coming with the clouds of heaven was fulfilled 40 years later as daniel prophesied 40 days

Simon
    Participant

2 Peter 3: 3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.5for this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

To me that makes it appear first century have a different understanding of jesus promise

genny
    Participant

Apparently God has a different idea of "soon" than we do.  Which makes sense when you think that He is working with eternity in mind.  For example, when my kids were smaller, time felt much different to them.  If I told them something was happening "soon," I might have in mind days or weeks, but they'd get anxious and upset if it took longer than a day.

Simon
    Participant

So true Genny as we get older time speeds up so from a perspective of eternity thousands of years is a lot quicker

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.