DID ANYONE HERE HAVE THE CHANCE OF TAKING THE TRIP TO KOREA, if yes.??

• Creator
    Topic
    Travis
    Participant

My significant other will be taking the trip, and the family is going super crazy about it. I have a few questions .. maybe I can help ease their pain..

1. Does a member decides to go on his/her own will.?
    2. Does a member cover all his/her expenses.?
    3. Is it safe to make the trip over there.?
    4. How long is the stay once in Korea.?
    5. Does a member from the cult in Korea pick members up at the airport.?
    6. Where do members stay once there.?
    7. Does a member have to pay for his/her own food or is his/her fed for free.?
    8. Does a member have the freedom of going out of his/her "concentration camps in Korea."?
    9. Does everyone has equal opportunity to meet the old lady.?

Some help answering these questions will be hugely appreciated… The family is going nut and I would like to provide them with some comforting answers… if such exist.

unknown
    Participant

MountainMom wrote:

@Unknown
    Or maybe you could even respond to the private message I sent you.  If you aren't ready to tell your story, let us know that, if possible.  Some are so traumatized they can't talk about it for years later, and I know one who was only in five months and still doesn't want to talk about it, three years later!  I know that it isn't easy, especially if you are still extra sensitive to criticisms of current members. It is tough I'm sure, because many members experience a lot of rejection while recruiting, and it stings.  I know that my poor son was "dispatched with extreme prejudice" as the line goes in the move "Major Payne"  when he was out recruiting in his early involvement.  It was tough for him because many people said awful things to him as he tried to tell them about the beliefs of the WMS.  I think former members still sympathize with current members because they relate to the rejection and criticisms, since they experienced it themselves. That is why former members are what I would call "touchy."  They don't want to hear they are stupid to believe what they did, either, because they aren't stupid, and they didn't join because they were mentally unstable or damaged goods.  That is not why they joined.   It is the very polished, deceptive presentation that got them.  The fact that they weren't told the whole story up front.  The trap was set, and they didn't realize it.  Most people wouldn't.  It has nothing to do with intelligence or lack thereof.

What would be helpful is for us all to step in each other's shoes.  For the former member, you need to hear what it was like from your parent's and sibling's point of view.  The pain caused by your involvement is something that can't be minimized.   Have you ever asked your family what it was like for them?  It seems as though the whole WMS experience caused pain for virtually everyone involved, whether as a member or a non-member.  I am not saying there were no good things about the experience, and that there were no good people in that "church."  I am saying the overall picture and final result was pain for everyone, and the bad outweighed the good mightily.  Mainly because the "church" is based on a huge lie and it's members finally see they were exploited. 

No thanks..

Im not being sensitive. That question was completely unecessary and rude. How many times do I have to say it? You cant draw false comparisons to this group just because you hate them. I hate them also but dont insult them every single chance I get.

That is not true in many cases.

There are alot of good people in that church who genuinely want to do the right thing. There are alot of funny, talented, and caring people that go to the church, but they are misguided.

MountainMom
    Participant

@At Unknown:  I didn't ask the question.  And I have moved on from it as well, so you really don't have to say it any more. 

If you look at posts I have put up over the years, including the one you included in your latest reply, you will see that I agree that there are some good people in there as well, and I have also said they are simply misguided.  Whether or not you register it, I think in a reasonable way about the wms.

Things aren't only black and white here.  And as I said, I don't hate them.  Not the members, anyway. I know several members, and I feel like I know several more of them that I haven't actually met.  I feel like I know them because I have talked to their heartbroken parents who have told me their story.

This is a question I actually AM asking:  What is your reply to Ms.Freedom?  Can you see the situation from the side of a parent in distress?  I have told you that I sympathize with your pain.  Do you have empathy for us as well?  It could be a crucial thing for healing relationships.

unknown
    Participant

Then dont say im being sensitive, in reference to my previous comments in this thread. Yes I can see the situation from a parents perspective. I lived with my parents while I was a member so I was able to talk to them on a daily basis. I knew they did not think what I was doing was right, but they still supported me because they knew that I enjoyed going to the church.

MountainMom
    Participant

If everything was wonderful, and you enjoyed it so much, I don't know why you are out.  That isn't meant in a smart alecky way, I really don't understand why you are out, and you haven't given enough info to surmise. 

I said you are sensitive because you honestly appear to be.  That is my opinion.  You have yours. That is allowed.

MountainMom
    Participant

I have to say, something just isn't right with your story.  Not that it couldn't be true, but it just isn't something I relate to easily.  You said your parents didn't think what you were doing was right, but they supported you because you enjoyed it.  When I was in my early teens, if my parents knew I was doing something wrong, they wouldn't have allowed me to keep doing it no matter HOW much I enjoyed it.  Honestly.  The  parents ran the house, not the teenagers.  And if your parents  also lost another child (your sister) to this group, just how much could they support your involvement?  I know the situation was different for you, but I am just saying the whole scenario seems a bit off.

Have you actually gone back and sat down and talked to your parents about how they felt at the time you were involved?  Some parents realize they can't always have a situation with their kids where every conversation is a disagreement, so they quit talking about anything concerned with church involvement.  All conversations become superficial, talking about the weather or whatever.  Anything but having an argument about the church. I think the son/daughter who is involved somehow thinks this implies agreement with their involvement.  I personally don't argue with my son at all anymore, but I don't support his involvement one little bit.  I just know every interaction can't be an argument. Many others I have talked to say the same thing.  And I don't know one single parent who isn't a member that is happy about their kid's involvement with the wms.   Not saying that to upset you.  I am just saying what my talks with other parents have shown to be true. 

unknown
    Participant

I didn't say that they were happy about it. They saw that the church made my sister and I happy. They also visited the church and talked with the missionary and deacon. They saw that the church's environment was safe and in a good neighborhood. Although they did not agree with the church's theology, they allowed me to attend one service a week until I was 18, then I was able to attend whenever I wanted. It was always a struggle especially during the feasts. My sister attended every service (and still does) because she was over 18. It wasnt easy at all for anybody as you seem to believe. Just because my situation is different from the norm or if i dont give you every detail, doesnt mean that im making ****  up.

MountainMom
    Participant

I didn't say you were making things up.  I said it was not the norm for me or most others I have talked to.  So I guess we are agreeing, in a way, since you also say it wasn't the norm.  You don't have to give every detail, or any detail if you don't want to.  Of course I know it wasn't easy.   And it isn't easy for those who finally come out of there, either.  Not for a long time. 

MountainMom
    Participant

But, as a ray of hope, I know that some families completely heal from their involvement, even though the involved member still has a tough time some days.  At least they are back with their loved ones and getting stronger every day.  I hope more cases end like this. 

Travis
    Participant

@unknown, As the one who asked the questions here's my final answer to you.

Yes, sometimes I hate them but I also understand that not everyone in that place has the same mindset. Not everyone who joins the place is dumb or stupid. During my three month in there, I met many beautiful and sincere people. Guys who truly wanted to help me understand and clarify everything. Girls who truly were very happy that I was there supporting my significant other and trying to understand her. However, there are some humans, like I am, who are curious about everything from the start and need deeper explanation of things before committing and before dropping my own values to accept new ones. 

I also clarified to @Simon in this same posts, who also agrees with you on the subject, that I have made a post in this forum not an article on a major newspaper. I'm NOT attacking anyone. I'm simply venting, I'm learning and I'm researching with the sole purpose of making my conclusions of all that's happening. 

I'm not here to be attacked nor to attack anyone. Or to insult nor to be insulted by anyone either. 

Take this note: Most of the answers or comments you have made so far, here and in other posts, have been defensively towards the WMS and yourself, which gives the sense that you are still very sensitive to the subject or you are not mature enough to take criticism. 

I suggest that you do not take things so personally. It really gives a feeling of being defensive or being immature.  

Simon
    Participant

oh the irony

btw this isn’t Twitter either

MountainMom
    Participant

@Travis:  You seem to have a very realistic, sincere, and mature view of the wms, both the problems with it, and the victimization of members.   Your honesty about the anger and frustration you have felt toward them, yet the sympathy for victimized members as well, is something most of us relate to.  Thanks for sharing so honestly with everyone.

Simon
    Participant

rofl

unknown
    Participant

lmao

MountainMom
    Participant

SnUrsp

MountainMom
    Participant

Has anyone heard of a trip to Trinidad and/or Tobago by members recently? 

Viewing 15 replies - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.