Community Service–Who else does it?

• Creator
    Topic
    genny
    Participant

I was thinking about how the WMSCOG publicizes their community service projects so much–making those videos, writing those articles, posting their "awards" (and perhaps asking for them too?).  I've seen members comment about how they are very special because of these works and what other church does this? etc.

Community service projects are good,  yes.  And it's good of the wmscog to do them.  But to think you are the best or only ones doing such things?  Or that it's a sign that they are God's only true church?  Well…

There are many groups (and churches!) out there doing such things, and they don't ask for such media attention.  The smaller groups may go unknown much by those beyond who they help.

I thought maybe here we could compile a list of other groups doing community service.  Not necessarily to applaud and praise them (though they deserve it), but to show that the WMSCOG that they are not unique in this.

Here are some:

My husband's company has regular blood drives.  Several times a year the nurses come, set up their stations and collect blood from him and his co-workers.  They've been doing this for many years.

My children's school participates in several projects.  Just a few for example, each year they pack shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child, they collect food for a local food pantry, and they package meals for distributing to the needy.

One church we know has outreaches to gang- and prostitute- infested areas and regular food giveaways.

We have personally met missionaries who head up programs to help extremely poor children in Africa and India.

A minister family member of ours founded and runs an orphanage in Honduras.

Here's a Christian denomination that runs a disaster relief program (helping people regardless of denomination): http://www.convoyofhope.org/

Here's a program that many churches (and other groups) take part in to periodically help local people, schools, and communities: http://beautifulday.org/partners/

Let's keep adding to the list…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.