Commonalities of Scientology and WMS

• Creator
    Topic
    Ms Freedom
    Participant

Since the documentary of "Going Clear" came out, I have been reading a lot about Scientology. I'm sure most of you that watched it noticed the similarities between Scientology and WMS. I have read the book, "Going Clear" (I'll post about that later) and I have also read a book titled "A Piece of Blue Sky."  It is written by John Atack, a former Scientologist. He shares his experience of how he was recruited, his departure and his research on the group. This was written in 1990 so a lot has evolved in Scientology since then, but the individual journey is pretty much the same as the people who have recently left. Here are some quotes from the book. Please share your thoughts.

As soon as one's convictions become unshakeable, evidence ceases to be relevant – except as a means to convert the unbelievers. Factual inaccuracies… are excusable in the light of the Higher Truth. -P.H. Hoebens (p. 0)

The teachings of Scientology are held out not only as scientifically proven, but also as scriptural, and therefore beyond question. (p. 2)

I was a romantic teenager, deeply upset by the end of a love affair. I wanted help and I thought that L. Ron Hubbard could provide that help… The people I met at the Scientology "Mission" all seemed unusually cheerful. They were confident and positive about life. Qualities I sorely needed.  I had met Moonies, Hare Krishnas, and Children of God, but Scientologists had an easy cheerfulness, not hysterical euphoria I had seen in these "cult" converts. Within a few weeks, I moved into the house where most of the Mission staff lived. (p. 11)

The five Mission staff members generated a friendly atmosphere. They listened to whatever I had to say and steered me towards a more optimistic state of mind. I was convinced that they were genuinely interested in my well-being, and found their positie attitude very helpful. Scientology Organizations are eager to make new converts, and all Scientologists who are not Organization staff members are designated "Field Staff Members," or FSMs, and are expected to recruit new people. (p. 12)

My life revolved around Scientology, and I had put my ex-girlfriend out of mind, although the subject had never been addressed in my counseling. I had abandoned those of my friends who were not interested in Scientology, because my lifestyle had changed so much, and I had made new friends – all of them Scientologists. (p. 17)

Scientology has a tremendous sense of urgency, which took hold of me. (p. 20)

Eventually the recruiter showed me a "confidential" Sea Org issue, which claimed that the governments of the world were on the verge of collapse. (note – This was 1975) (p. 21)

A high official (Mayo) who was close to Hubbard had been declared "Suppressive, which is a Scientology term for being shunned, declared an enemy, a traitor. Jon Atack questioned this declaration.

How could David Mayo, who had worked so closely with Hubbard for so many years, suddenly turn out to be "Suppressive? Surely, Hubbard should be pretty good at spotting Suppressives. Why had it taken him twenty years to spot Mayo? (p.37)

Jon Atack is told to disconnect with one of his friends. He begins to question why he had to do this. Then they turned on him.

People I had known for years suddenly stopped talking to me. (p. 39)

…my belief was evaporating. I finally realized that I had taken much of this "Science" on trust. By the summer of 1984, I had drifted away from the "Tech," but was still caught up in the quest for the truth about Hubbard and his organization. What follows is the fruit of that quest. (p. 41)

In a court battle, a psychiatrist that had opposed Scientology, took the stand.

Dr. John Clark, a noted psychiatrist who has been a persistent observer and critic of cults, also took the stand and gave his opinion of the intrusive nature of Scientology techniques. He explained the incredible pressure brought to bear upon him by the Scientologists in their attempt to discredit him. He spoke at some length about the conversion experience: the sudden change of personality which members of cults often undergo. (p. 281)

Another court case – a custody case in England between a mother and step-father, who had left Scientology, and the father who was still in the church. The judge made the following statements.

Scientology must come first before family or friends. Much evidence has been given and not disputed of how it leads to alienation of one spouse from another, of alienation from children and from friends. (p. 340)

It is dangerous because it is out to capture people, especially children and impressionable young people, and indoctrinate and brainwash them so that they become the unquestioning captives and tools of the cult, withdrawn from ordinary thought, living and relationships with others. Justice Latey, ruling in the High Court in London in 1984 (p. 342)

Recruitment for staff is a constant pressure on public Scientologists. (p. 385)

Most Scientologists genuinely want to improve society. They fervently believe their ideology is the only hope for a better world. (p. 385)

Atack, Jon. A Piece of Blue Sky: Dianetics and L. Ron Hubbard Exposed. Carol Publishing Group, 1990. Print.

Sally
    Participant

Ms Freedom wrote:

Since the documentary of "Going Clear" came out, I have been reading a lot about Scientology. I'm sure most of you that watched it noticed the similarities between Scientology and WMS. I have read the book, "Going Clear" (I'll post about that later) and I have also read a book titled "A Piece of Blue Sky."  It is written by John Atack, a former Scientologist. He shares his experience of how he was recruited, his departure and his research on the group. This was written in 1990 so a lot has evolved in Scientology since then, but the individual journey is pretty much the same as the people who have recently left. Here are some quotes from the book. Please share your thoughts.

As soon as one's convictions become unshakeable, evidence ceases to be relevant – except as a means to convert the unbelievers. Factual inaccuracies… are excusable in the light of the Higher Truth. -P.H. Hoebens (p. 0)

The teachings of Scientology are held out not only as scientifically proven, but also as scriptural, and therefore beyond question. (p. 2)

I was a romantic teenager, deeply upset by the end of a love affair. I wanted help and I thought that L. Ron Hubbard could provide that help… The people I met at the Scientology "Mission" all seemed unusually cheerful. They were confident and positive about life. Qualities I sorely needed.  I had met Moonies, Hare Krishnas, and Children of God, but Scientologists had an easy cheerfulness, not hysterical euphoria I had seen in these "cult" converts. Within a few weeks, I moved into the house where most of the Mission staff lived. (p. 11)

The five Mission staff members generated a friendly atmosphere. They listened to whatever I had to say and steered me towards a more optimistic state of mind. I was convinced that they were genuinely interested in my well-being, and found their positie attitude very helpful. Scientology Organizations are eager to make new converts, and all Scientologists who are not Organization staff members are designated "Field Staff Members," or FSMs, and are expected to recruit new people. (p. 12)

My life revolved around Scientology, and I had put my ex-girlfriend out of mind, although the subject had never been addressed in my counseling. I had abandoned those of my friends who were not interested in Scientology, because my lifestyle had changed so much, and I had made new friends – all of them Scientologists. (p. 17)

Scientology has a tremendous sense of urgency, which took hold of me. (p. 20)

Eventually the recruiter showed me a "confidential" Sea Org issue, which claimed that the governments of the world were on the verge of collapse. (note – This was 1975) (p. 21)

A high official (Mayo) who was close to Hubbard had been declared "Suppressive, which is a Scientology term for being shunned, declared an enemy, a traitor. Jon Atack questioned this declaration.

How could David Mayo, who had worked so closely with Hubbard for so many years, suddenly turn out to be "Suppressive? Surely, Hubbard should be pretty good at spotting Suppressives. Why had it taken him twenty years to spot Mayo? (p.37)

Jon Atack is told to disconnect with one of his friends. He begins to question why he had to do this. Then they turned on him.

People I had known for years suddenly stopped talking to me. (p. 39)

…my belief was evaporating. I finally realized that I had taken much of this "Science" on trust. By the summer of 1984, I had drifted away from the "Tech," but was still caught up in the quest for the truth about Hubbard and his organization. What follows is the fruit of that quest. (p. 41)

In a court battle, a psychiatrist that had opposed Scientology, took the stand.

Dr. John Clark, a noted psychiatrist who has been a persistent observer and critic of cults, also took the stand and gave his opinion of the intrusive nature of Scientology techniques. He explained the incredible pressure brought to bear upon him by the Scientologists in their attempt to discredit him. He spoke at some length about the conversion experience: the sudden change of personality which members of cults often undergo. (p. 281)

Another court case – a custody case in England between a mother and step-father, who had left Scientology, and the father who was still in the church. The judge made the following statements.

Scientology must come first before family or friends. Much evidence has been given and not disputed of how it leads to alienation of one spouse from another, of alienation from children and from friends. (p. 340)

It is dangerous because it is out to capture people, especially children and impressionable young people, and indoctrinate and brainwash them so that they become the unquestioning captives and tools of the cult, withdrawn from ordinary thought, living and relationships with others. Justice Latey, ruling in the High Court in London in 1984 (p. 342)

Recruitment for staff is a constant pressure on public Scientologists. (p. 385)

Most Scientologists genuinely want to improve society. They fervently believe their ideology is the only hope for a better world. (p. 385)

Atack, Jon. A Piece of Blue Sky: Dianetics and L. Ron Hubbard Exposed. Carol Publishing Group, 1990. Print.

I would love to hear Victor's  TIME's thoughts, c'mon Victor, TIME, we have already told you there is nothing here but love and compassion, no hatred.

So please tell us what your thoughts are regarding the similarities between scientology and the wmscog

MountainMom
    Participant

I wish you could get a response from Time, Sally, but I doubt he has one.  If he did reply it would be the standard "insult first and rebuke, then throw up a smoke screen."  He would not just honestly answer.  Not because he is such a bad person, but because he is under the control of the other leaders as well.  He has probably been in a long time and it takes a while to shake the undue influence and become your authentic self again. 

Ms. Freedom, what a great comparison you have made with Scientology and the WMS.  I also watched the documentary "Going Clear" and read the book of the same name.  Although it is a different control group exerting the undue influence, the blueprint for a mind control group is exactly the same.  Fear, guilt, manipulation, deception, destruction.  These are the same tools used by every group that seeks to enslave their unsuspecting, innocent followers.  Which are you, Time, the duped follower or the enforcer?  I don't know you, so I can't say.  Only you have that answer.

Sally
    Participant

Ms. Freedom, what a great comparison you have made with Scientology and the WMS.  I also watched the documentary "Going Clear" and read the book of the same name.  Although it is a different control group exerting the undue influence, the blueprint for a mind control group is exactly the same.  Fear, guilt, manipulation, deception, destruction.  These are the same tools used by every group that seeks to enslave their unsuspecting, innocent followers.  

This is a great post Ms. Freedom, this is all about the reality of MIND CONTROL. Who here does not believe in freedom of religion?

I certainly do. Yes even the right to believe that a divorced, adulterous korean woman is god in the flesh. Of course I don't believe she is God, I just believe in your right to believe that yourself.

With that said, I recently had a conversation with a very bright, well read guy (he just sold his company for $700 mil) about religion and cults, specifically, the wms. I said, they have all the characteristics of a mind control cult. He said, c'mon Sally, all religions are cults! I said, not true, completely untrue. You can't call any religion a cult until they insert the complete blueprint for mind control. Simply believing strongly in something does not make it a cult. It's all about mind control and all of the things Mountain Mom listed above,  Fear, guilt, manipulation, deception, destruction . .   . You can walk away from any real religion anytime you want without feeling, Fear, guilt, manipulation, deception, destruction!  If you feel any of those things, you are in a cult.

Which are you, Time, the duped follower or the enforcer?  I don't know you, so I can't say.  Only you have that answer. 

This is such a great question! Clearly everyone is a duped follower at some point but how and when does someone go from duped follower to ENFORCER? If you really think about it, it's pretty obvious why someone would not want to admit to themselves that they have gone from follower to enforcer. That's a lot for one person to handle unless they just don't care.

I think deep down you care Victor. I'm here to help you, Victor, whenever you are ready. You could start by anserwing the original question regarding the similarities between scientology and the wms

Smurf
    Participant

http://dlisted.com/2015/11/27/tom-cruise-hasnt-seen-suri-in-800-days/

This guy gets it, gotta have your priorities right 🙂

How often do you see your family members who are "outside the truth", dear WMSCOG members?

I personally know some that see their family once every two years or so. It seems the true teachings of mother are surprisingly similar to those of Scientology.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.