Anyone heard of the Eastern Lightening cult?

• Creator
    Topic
    emil
    Participant

Here's a link: http://www.ucanindia.in/news/chineseprotestant-groupsbeijingdoomsday-cult/21936/daily

and the article:

Chinese,protestant groups,Beijing,doomsday cult

Beijing: China’s state-sanctioned Protestant Church yesterday issued a resolution to fight cults, as top leaders met at the National Chinese Christian Congress in Beijing.

The Three-Self Patriotic Movement of the Protestant Churches in China (TSPM) and the China Christian Council (CCC), the country’s two main Protestant bodies, singled out the doomsday cult Eastern Lightning, a group which had thousands arrested last year as it predicted the end of the world on December 21.

“The meeting held that heresy and cult followers… undermine social stability and harmony,” the TSPM and CCC said, announcing the resolution on their joint website.

The congress, held every five years, urged clergy and congregations across China to resist groups that do not follow the “pure faith.”

Also known as the Church of Almighty God, Eastern Lightning is estimated to have more than one million members across China, Hong Kong and Taiwan who believe that God returned to Earth as a woman, ‘Lightning Deng,’ in northeastern Henan province in 1992.

The group attracted the wrath of Chinese authorities last year when it predicted the end of the Communist Party and the world on December 21.

Since then Protestants in both the state-sanctioned church and the underground movement have been critical of what is seen as Eastern Lightning's heretical interpretations of the Bible and extreme conversion methods which have reportedly included kidnappings.

“Even though the doomsday prophecy did not come true in the end, believers have not left the cult because they have been brainwashed,” said a postgraduate student at a Protestant seminary in eastern  A n h u i  province who declined to be named.

Eastern Lightning is controlled by Zhao Weishan who lives in exile in the United States.

emil
    Participant

I did some more reading on this cult. It appears that they employ a technique called Flirt Fishing to add members. Women members are encouraged to bestow sexual favors to win members.

I understand that in my country, the wmscog uses a similar technique. Many young men have been seduced by Korean women who come here on student visas. In a short while they even marry in order to try to get the Koreans long-term residence permits.

emil
    Participant

I did some more reading on this cult. It appears that they employ a technique called Flirt Fishing to add members. Women members are encouraged to bestow sexual favors to win members.

I understand that in my country, the wmscog uses a similar technique. Many young men have been seduced by Korean women who come here on student visas. In a short while they even marry in order to try to get the Koreans long-term residence permits.

Harry
    Participant

emil wrote:

Ok, so we are totally against cults, right? Of course we are but I should do some more research on this flirt fishing cult. I may have to go undercover for this. I'll pretend i'm not happy with my current cult and i'll check out some flirt fishers. I wonder if 3 or 4 of them would try to convert me at once. Remember i'm only doing this for you guys because i love you. Emil, I'll get back to you with my data. Shim, if it works out I'll get you some numbers. Wish me luck  

Harry
    Participant

emil wrote:

Ok, so we are totally against cults, right? Of course we are but I should do some more research on this flirt fishing cult. I may have to go undercover for this. I'll pretend i'm not happy with my current cult and i'll check out some flirt fishers. I wonder if 3 or 4 of them would try to convert me at once. Remember i'm only doing this for you guys because i love you. Emil, I'll get back to you with my data. Shim, if it works out I'll get you some numbers. Wish me luck  

Simon
    Participant

yeah I read about them while wmscog member apparently they also kidnap people to convert

Simon
    Participant

yeah I read about them while wmscog member apparently they also kidnap people to convert

emil
    Participant

Harry wrote:

Why don't you form a team and call it the FFB – flirt fisher baiters ๐Ÿ™‚

emil
    Participant

Harry wrote:

Why don't you form a team and call it the FFB – flirt fisher baiters ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.