December 25, 2011

• Creator
    Topic
    Moved-Comment
    Participant

This comment was originally posted on "The church that celebrates the birth of Christ on December 25 is heretic." – Chief Pastor Joo Choel Kim and has been moved here for further discussion:

Renita says:

As I understand it, the Passover is the 14th day of the 1st month of Nisan which falls somewhere between March & April time on our calendar. I’m pretty sure the Passover was held on a Sunday in the WMSCOG at some point in history. But does that mean the COG is celebrating Communion like other churches do on Sunday? Certainly not. Every celebration the COG holds is in accordance with the Jewish calendar, not our own. I was baptized I believe March 27, 2010. But according to the Jewish calendar, I was baptized Nisan 14, 2010. April 5th marked the 2nd anniversary of my baptism. How is this possible? Because I keep track of my baptism in accordance with the Jewish calendar, not our own. April 5th, 2012 & Nisan 14th, 2012 are the same day.

If anyone has studied with a member of the WMSCOG & asked concerning Father’s coming day & December 25th, 2011, the member would gladly show the comparison between the 2 calendars making this point no evidence at all against the COG.

Emily
    Participant

That is correct Renita.  Jesus was there during the feast of tabernacles.  The text in John 7 supports the idea that he was late to the feast.  Jesus didn't leave for Judea until after His brothers went ahead of him (John 7:8-10).  Jesus did not go to the temple until halfway through the feast (John 7:14).  Where would he be celebrating the feast if he wasn't in the temple.  Being in the general area and celebrating the feast are two different things.  Would the WMS say that I observed the sabbath if I hung out near the church but didn't actually go inside?  

Emily
    Participant

That is correct Renita.  Jesus was there during the feast of tabernacles.  The text in John 7 supports the idea that he was late to the feast.  Jesus didn't leave for Judea until after His brothers went ahead of him (John 7:8-10).  Jesus did not go to the temple until halfway through the feast (John 7:14).  Where would he be celebrating the feast if he wasn't in the temple.  Being in the general area and celebrating the feast are two different things.  Would the WMS say that I observed the sabbath if I hung out near the church but didn't actually go inside?  

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Emily:

No, they wouldn't. Which is why I always felt uneasy saying, "See! Jesus kept the Feast of Tabernacles."

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Emily:

No, they wouldn't. Which is why I always felt uneasy saying, "See! Jesus kept the Feast of Tabernacles."

genny
    Participant

Yes, that's exactly right.  Either He celebrated both the Feast of Tabernacles and Hanukkah, or He didn't keep both.  By the way it's written, you can't say He kept one but not the other.

genny
    Participant

Yes, that's exactly right.  Either He celebrated both the Feast of Tabernacles and Hanukkah, or He didn't keep both.  By the way it's written, you can't say He kept one but not the other.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Genny:

Exactly! I remember writing a list about my concerns about the COG. I would like to add the whole Feast of Tabernacles issue. I keep it because it's labeled as a Feast when God gave the 10 Commandments & even described in Lev 23. But I don't agree with the arguement that because Jesus was in the temple, He kept the Feast. Like you said, He either kept both Feast or He kept neither.

Are you a prior member or just well studied on the COG?

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Genny:

Exactly! I remember writing a list about my concerns about the COG. I would like to add the whole Feast of Tabernacles issue. I keep it because it's labeled as a Feast when God gave the 10 Commandments & even described in Lev 23. But I don't agree with the arguement that because Jesus was in the temple, He kept the Feast. Like you said, He either kept both Feast or He kept neither.

Are you a prior member or just well studied on the COG?

Simon
    Participant

genny wrote:

Actually, Jesus was the perfect lamb of God he would not sin by failing to keep the commands of God. 

FURTHERMORE 

John 7:<sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>2 But when the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles was near, <sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>3 Jesus’ brothers said to him, “You ought to leave here and go to Judea, so that your disciples may see the miracles you do.<sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>4 No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.” <sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>5 For even his own brothers did not believe in him.

<sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>6 Therefore Jesus told them, “The right time for me has not yet come; for you any time is right. <sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil. <sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>8 You go to the Feast. I AM NOT YET GOING up to this Feast, because for me the right time has not yet come.”

NOT YET GOING means he will go later. So he was going to the Feast of Tabernacles not just to Jerusalem

Simon
    Participant

genny wrote:

Actually, Jesus was the perfect lamb of God he would not sin by failing to keep the commands of God. 

FURTHERMORE 

John 7:<sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>2 But when the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles was near, <sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>3 Jesus’ brothers said to him, “You ought to leave here and go to Judea, so that your disciples may see the miracles you do.<sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>4 No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.” <sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>5 For even his own brothers did not believe in him.

<sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>6 Therefore Jesus told them, “The right time for me has not yet come; for you any time is right. <sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil. <sup class=”versenum” style=”font-size: 0.75em; line-height: normal; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: top; “>8 You go to the Feast. I AM NOT YET GOING up to this Feast, because for me the right time has not yet come.”

NOT YET GOING means he will go later. So he was going to the Feast of Tabernacles not just to Jerusalem

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Shimon:

It still doesn't specify that He kept the Feast. We know He kept PO because He said, "I will celebrate the PO.." We know He kept Sabbath because it was His custom to read the Scripture in the synagogue.

But then again, think about a birthday party. How many of us say, "I am going to celebrate my friend's birthday.."?? I do! Lol. But when I say it, people call me weird. Usually, people say, "I'm going to a birthday party." By this, we know they are celebrating someone's birthday. But it all falls back on this: If we follow the example of Christ & He was going to the temple during Purim, then why don't we?

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Shimon:

It still doesn't specify that He kept the Feast. We know He kept PO because He said, "I will celebrate the PO.." We know He kept Sabbath because it was His custom to read the Scripture in the synagogue.

But then again, think about a birthday party. How many of us say, "I am going to celebrate my friend's birthday.."?? I do! Lol. But when I say it, people call me weird. Usually, people say, "I'm going to a birthday party." By this, we know they are celebrating someone's birthday. But it all falls back on this: If we follow the example of Christ & He was going to the temple during Purim, then why don't we?

Simon
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

Shimon:

It never says he went to the temple it says he went to Jerusalem, but he was often in Jerusalem. (btw it was Channukah not Purim) Furthermore Channukah and Purim were added by men they are the Jewish Christmases and Easters.

Also with tabernacles he said going to the feast not going to Jerusalem or going to the temple.

Simon
    Participant

renita.payno wrote:

Shimon:

It never says he went to the temple it says he went to Jerusalem, but he was often in Jerusalem. (btw it was Channukah not Purim) Furthermore Channukah and Purim were added by men they are the Jewish Christmases and Easters.

Also with tabernacles he said going to the feast not going to Jerusalem or going to the temple.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Very good attention to detail. So, He did celebrate the Feast. =)

Love'n Honey
    Participant

Very good attention to detail. So, He did celebrate the Feast. =)

Love'n Honey
    Participant

That makes me feel better.

Love'n Honey
    Participant

That makes me feel better.

Emily
    Participant

It did say that he was going to the temple.  John 7:14

14 Not until halfway through the festival did Jesus go up to the temple courts and begin to teach. 

Emily
    Participant

It did say that he was going to the temple.  John 7:14

14 Not until halfway through the festival did Jesus go up to the temple courts and begin to teach. 

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.