WMSCOG Members Treatment of Former Members

• Creator
    Topic
    unknown
    Participant

I wanted to make this post to share my experience of how I was treated by WMSCOG members after I left the church. A year or so after I left the church, I was invited to attend a church yard sale by my sister who is still in the WMSCOG. When I arrived to the event, all of the members treated me very well. They all were nice to me and greeted me like I had never left. They wanted to know all about my life and how everything was. I considered most of these people to be my friends while I was in the church and even after I left they treated me like I was still their friend. The only person that made me feel uncomfortable was the missionary of the church. He basically ignored me and pretended like I wasn't even there. Overall, I've had a positive experience with the WMSCOG members after I left. However, there is still the possibility of them slandering me behind my back of course. How were you treated by WMSCOG members after you left? 

MountainMom
    Participant

Unknown, I believe that the members treated you well because most of them are really nice people at heart.  They don't know they are in a destructive mind control cult.  They see what their leaders want them to see.  So, of course, they treated you well.  If it was a sale, they also could have wanted the general public to come, and they wouldn't want to be seen as unfriendly.  The missionary is a leader who showed his disdain for you clearly.  Sad the leaders would lead in that direction, but it is what they are taught.  

Another thing, I guess I would ask if you were known to speak out against the church after you left.  If you didn't, you would be treated much better than the person who comes out and speaks up about the contradictions and hypocrisy they witnessed there.  I am going to say that it is possible that you didn't do this, or they weren't aware you did this.  You would be treated quite differently if you did, in my opinion.

Other members who came out were slandered and shunned.  I am glad you didn't experience this.  But there is a reason you use the name "Unknown" on here.  You know you would be treated differently by these people you considered (and maybe still do consider) friends.  Their "missionary" would see to it.

Brian Taylor
    Participant

unknown wrote:

I wanted to make this post to share my experience of how I was treated by WMSCOG members after I left the church. A year or so after I left the church, I was invited to attend a church yard sale by my sister who is still in the WMSCOG. When I arrived to the event, all of the members treated me very well. They all were nice to me and greeted me like I had never left. They wanted to know all about my life and how everything was. I considered most of these people to be my friends while I was in the church and even after I left they treated me like I was still their friend. The only person that made me feel uncomfortable was the missionary of the church. He basically ignored me and pretended like I wasn't even there. Overall, I've had a positive experience with the WMSCOG members after I left. However, there is still the possibility of them slandering me behind my back of course. How were you treated by WMSCOG members after you left? 

I think that to each is own and it depends on the specific circumstances when a member left. If you left of your own free will, in most cases they will simply try to love bomb you back in. That's what it sounds like in your case, and at first, it was the same for me.  

When I first left and before I became involved with this site, they would call me, feigning genuine concern. At times during this period I had decided that I would not go back. I still had their prophecies floating around in my head, I simply tried to supress them, push them down and silence them in my mind. I hadn't answered any of their calls for a while, eventually I got a new phone and incidentally they could no longer reach me. But then something really bizarre happenend. They visited me while I was at work.

Now here is why I say this is bizarre: not that they came and saw me, but my reaction to their visit. As soon as I saw them, they smiled and said "God bless you brother" and I did the same. Through my being absent from the group I had started to become my own person again. I listened to music that wasnt new songs, I didn't feel guilt about having fun or sleeping in, I was becoming me again. But the moment I saw them at work that day, all that went out the window. I became "brother Brian" again, the prophecies, zion mannerisms and "heavenly culture" all came flooding back reflexively. I was instantaneously another person. So at their admonition, I kept the second passover after months of not attending worship.

At the second passover everyone did seem really happy that I was back. Some even begged me to keep the following sabbath, I ofcourse gave them an enthuisiastic "amen " but it was a promise that I did not keep. In the following weeks they visited me at work several times. Each time I ran and hid from them, they kept it up until my boss asked them to leave. From then on the visits became less and less frequent until they stopped all together.

Fast forward a year later, and I've openend my mind to all kinds of other perspectives and philosophies and testimonies of other former members and realized that there is so much more out there in the world than the narrow WMS dogma. I did not debunk all of their prophecies,( anyone who does as a means of getting members out is seriously wasting their time) but I just knew that Ahn, Zahng, the bible, the passover, the end, it was all bunk. It all depended on the ignorance of critical thought, of science, of reason and of logic in order to control people. At this point, I was angry. Angry at them, yes, but mostly angry at myself. Angry that I had not developed the rational thinking tool set in order to see through the lies and recognize the system of influence and control. So, in this anger, I made videos.

Mainly videos explaining my experience as a member. Some other former members came forward and said that they could relate, a hand full of ,at that time, current members even reached out to me for advice on how to leave. As far as I know many of them did. I hope they remain free, anyway, this is the time when, as MM said,  they treated me differently. All the members who I was FB friends with blocked me. After a while I began to recieve ominous emails and fake cease and desist orders online. They even started saying that I was a "cult expert" at one point in time. When it became clear that I had rattled their cage thoroughly, and after the anxiety had began mess with me a bit, I deleted my videos.

And now, they are not in the public eye like they used to be, life continues as normal. I look back on the whole thing like a bad dream from the night before that haunts you during the day, and at times I wonder if any of it happend at all or if it's all in my head…..But I hope that answers your question concerning how I was treated after I left.

saidai
    Participant

That was a great share Brian. Up till today I’m still patiently waiting for my beloved to come out of this nightmare.. :'(

Abhigail Delema
    Participant

When i left they tried their best to pull me back in they came to my house but i openly refused when they realized that i would not return,they started spoiling my name that i was a traitor,Satan,they said i had a lot of pride and was also from Judas family who betrayed jesus they also said i was close to the zion on the streets showing members from the bible verses not to go to zion .This is where i realized this was a cult how destructive their members were who were ready to bang their head on the wall to prove themselves to be Gods people they also went to the police and RC church organization for help who they call Satan .looking at the way they denied all their conversation with Ron and Daine video i thought this group is nothing but full of lies.

MountainMom
    Participant

Thank you for your post, Brian.  So happy you are free now.  

Abhigail, thank you also!  The truth has to be told.

Brian Taylor
    Participant

Thanks saidai. I hope your beloved comes out. Just love them no matter what.

Othniel
    Participant

They always treat me civily but then again they only see me at work they can't afford to harrass me at Walmart where they would lose their preaching grounds (I would point out who they are to AP Management or something since there are policies against customers harassing each other but all that would do is stop the very few I know and fuel their persecution complex)

MountainMom
    Participant

Othniel wrote:

They always treat me civily but then again they only see me at work they can't afford to harrass me at Walmart where they would lose their preaching grounds (I would point out who they are to AP Management or something since there are policies against customers harassing each other but all that would do is stop the very few I know and fuel their persecution complex)

I am curious, it seems to me that if you aren't known to speak out against them after you stopped attending the Wms, they will tolerate you.  Did you speak out at all?  If not, that may help as far as the civil treatment goes.  I think the members really want to be nice to others, whether they are former members or not, but they are told that they cannot associate with "apostates."  

Mayor and Mike
    Participant

I luv Walmart Othiel. I'm gonna get a cat and name her Walma Heart.

Mayor and Mike
    Participant

All the brothers and sisters seemed very good. I met many good Korean families. But the leaders who wanted control of the congregation created the problems. When people left the church we weren't supposed to talk with them. I think to maintain control, the church, the leaders have to keep the current members sheltered from the departing members. Good thing we have this website to show the current deceived members that there is life outside of the wms, a better life.

Ms Freedom
    Participant

Here is a question to former members: Did you ever know of any Korean families leaving or any members who came from Korea leaving?

Brian Taylor
    Participant

@Ms freedom No. Anyone who came from Korea was well programed and usually a member since birth. There was however a few cases of teenagers being sent abroad by their parents as punishment for bad behavior. But I’m just speculating

Mayor and Mike
    Participant

I've seen families fly over seas to start a new life. Some I've seen received citizenship. They moved here permanently. Others come here temporarily. Then they get sent back. Those Koreans who don't "bear fruit" are sent back straight away. Some come here seeking marriage and a new life. It's more than a church, it's work, it's an opportunity, it's a new life for them. 

Othniel
    Participant

MountainMom wrote:

Othniel wrote:

I am curious, it seems to me that if you aren't known to speak out against them after you stopped attending the Wms, they will tolerate you.  Did you speak out at all?  If not, that may help as far as the civil treatment goes.  I think the members really want to be nice to others, whether they are former members or not, but they are told that they cannot associate with "apostates."  

I have done it  but I don't know if they know or not…. either way as I said I think the fact they cannot afford to get kicked out of walmart is a huge factor too. Does one really wanna get kicked out of their favourite place to preach along with the only shopping in town?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.